Music thread that may contain music

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Music thread that may contain music

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

It contains music.

I like music. Most people like music. You like music. So what type of music do you like? Do you play music? I do!

Kyuss - Freedom Run

I like this music, as this record was released 1 day and 20 years ago!

Share your music!

/insane
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Music thread that may contain music

Post by Jonas »

I'm into Ultra Sheriff right now. Originally because the guy who plays keyboard, does backing vocals, and masters their songs was a university class mate of mine, but now mostly because they kick ass.

http://www.ultrasheriff.com/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Florence and the Machine. I even watched an episode of Australia's got Talent to see a live performance.

This song is just superb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMBTvuUlm98
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

bobby 55 wrote:Florence and the Machine. I even watched an episode of Australia's got Talent to see a live performance.

This song is just superb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMBTvuUlm98
Florence is fantastic. :mrgreen:

Though, I have to be honest, I have a strange taste in music. I recently went to the Download festival which is one of the biggest metal festivals here in the UK for those who may not have heard of it. Despite being a complete wash out, the music was great.

And I'm sat here listening to Marc Cohn - Walking in Memphis. It just came up in my play list. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

nerdenstein wrote:

And I'm sat here listening to Marc Cohn - Walking in Memphis. It just came up in my play list. :P
That's a good song.
Yeah, my taste in music is pretty varied. I'm not that much into heavy metal or rap though.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I listen to almost anything that's good. I play the piano and am currently preparing for DipABRSM.

Recent artists I've been into that come to mind:

Bartok
Tool
Radiohead
Aphex Twin
Mozart
Rachmaninoff
Arcade Fire
Boards of Canada
Brian Eno

...and many more that I can't remember. You can see there's a bit of classical, a bit of rock and a bit of electronic, so I guess if you divided up my taste into genres those would be the main three. I'm also an enthusiastic fan of Alexander Brandon who as you may know wrote the majority of the music for Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Discovered this song recently, I find it pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDK_R9JVQgc
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I've been stuck with "Let's do the time warp again" in my head since I went to a musical performance last week. Otherwise I listen to almost everything, the only thing I definitely don't like is metal with people grunting. I don't mind regular metal, but the grunting is just ... no.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

EER wrote:I've been stuck with "Let's do the time warp again" in my head since I went to a musical performance last week. Otherwise I listen to almost everything, the only thing I definitely don't like is metal with people grunting. I don't mind regular metal, but the grunting is just ... no.
In that case, don't listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLd6h5td8G4 :P
I quite like growly metal as you can see from this song. (My sister and I were right at the front at Download for these guys. :P )
How about Metallica anyone?

I prefer ordinary Rock/Punk stuff. Such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNBnTaGimvU
Seen those guys live twice now, awesome both times. :mrgreen:

I've had my College Leavers Prom last weekend which played a lot of current, crappy music, some of which I quite like annoyingly. Including Time Warp. :lol:
Though they all still insist on playing the fucking Macarena. Even the local clubs play it. I hate that song.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Isn't the Macarena hopelessly 90s? It might be played here ironically, but I haven't heard it in a loooong time.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

It's very 90's I think. :-s Well I've heard it twice in about 5 days, once at a College Leavers Prom and another at a local nightclub called Mosh. :?
Then again, they were also playing the likes of One Direction so it does give you a bit of perspective. :lol:

More Music from a production company called Two Steps From Hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq19-WLIFlo
They made the music for the trailers for Mass Effect 3 and a few others. I really enjoy listening to them. :P
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote: Though they all still insist on playing the fucking Macarena. Even the local clubs play it. I hate that song.
I don't know why the Macarena is a thing in Britain. Shitty club DJ's are freaking obsessed with it.

I find Metallica and metal in general bores the hell out of me, maybe it's the over-reliance on guitars or something. I get the feeling that even though it's about as "alternative" as you can get in the UK (albeit completely mainstream alternative, defeating the point) the Download festival would just bore me. But, I'd rather go to that than Glastonbury or some shit like that.

I've found myself listening to increasingly obscure bands from America - there's a Russian community that (among other things) shares a hell of a lot of decent rock music in FLAC. Generally if the artist is good I buy their album to support them but keep the FLAC version for listening. E.g. Allele, Ceterum, Cord of 3, Hurt, Egypt Central, Electric Touch, Malrun, Nine Lashes, Our Waking Hour, Sent by Ravens etc.

More mainstream but still very under-appreciated bands I listen to are Evans Blue, Icon for Hire, Saosin and Smile Empty Soul. And then there's the very mainstream ones - Seether, Evanescence, Lost Prophets, 10 Years, Chevelle...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DaveW wrote:And then there's the very mainstream ones - Seether, Evanescence, Lost Prophets, 10 Years, Chevelle...
Ah yes, I too have a mildly embarrassing emo side to my music taste. I have a playlist in Spotify dedicated to Seether (with some Bullet for my Valentine thrown in for variation), and I have a Lost Prophets CD lying around somewhere, from back in the days when one still purchased CDs.

I saw Lost Prophets live once, actually. They were opening for Metallica (along with Slipknot, whose music I hate), and they were shit. Actually to be fair, the acoustics in the stadium were shit, but Metallica are world champions at punching through awful acoustics. Lost Prophets... not so much.

I remember listening to Jars by Chevelle on repeat for hours, I'm surprised my neighbors didn't come in and kick my ass.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:
DaveW wrote:And then there's the very mainstream ones - Seether, Evanescence, Lost Prophets, 10 Years, Chevelle...
Ah yes, I too have a mildly embarrassing emo side to my music taste. I have a playlist in Spotify dedicated to Seether (with some Bullet for my Valentine thrown in for variation), and I have a Lost Prophets CD lying around somewhere, from back in the days when one still purchased CDs.

I saw Lost Prophets live once, actually. They were opening for Metallica (along with Slipknot, whose music I hate), and they were shit. Actually to be fair, the acoustics in the stadium were shit, but Metallica are world champions at punching through awful acoustics. Lost Prophets... not so much.

I remember listening to Jars by Chevelle on repeat for hours, I'm surprised my neighbors didn't come in and kick my ass.
Seether have made some really good hard rock songs in the past, but they've slowly been drifting away from that and I didn't think much of their latest album.

Lost Prophets are just a crappy band, though, who accidentally make good songs occasionally. They're one of the more hipster bands I can think of, and the only one I listen to that I generally don't admit to. Just in case people think I like any of the crap songs they make (which is pretty much all of them.) To be fair to them regarding live performances though, most rock bands suck live too. Very few of the bands I listen to sound good live - usually only those with female vocalists like Kidney Thieves and Icon for Hire sound good (if not better) live.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I liked the newest Seether album actually. I preferred it to the older stuff. Bullet are a decidedly better band however.
Evanescence were only ever good during the first album. That was very Emo but I used to really like it. Not listened to it in ages.
I used to like some Lost Prophets but they got a bit samey. Their new album is pretty samey from what I've heard of it too.
Kidney Thieves are damn good to listen too; even if I did find them through DX:IW. :lol:

Out of curiosity Jonas; Have you listened to any of Corey Taylor's other work? I was never a fan of Slipknot but his other works have been pretty cool.