Conquistador Kickstarter is live

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Conquistador Kickstarter is live

Post by Jonas »

Apparently not very well.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

:(
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well, you're getting my money regardless.

I'm assuming that if the kickstarter doesn't pay off, you're still going ahead with all this, right? I seem to recall that kickstarter is weird (you don't get the threshold = you get nothing?), but you've already got the desura deal thinger and basically a whole fucking game made, so there are..a ton of other options, I'm guessing.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well, here's the scenario if the Kickstarter fails: immediately, Juan, Daniel and myself are going on unemployment benefits because we've blown through all our savings. This most likely means (unless we get lucky with our respective case handlers) that we have to show at the unemployment office 2-3 days every week for pointless coaching etc. For the other 2-3 days, we work, though I'm not sure we'll keep the office - might just work from home or meet at my place.

Casper will get this choice: work part-time for free with unemployment benefits, or find another job. He's a coder so he'll probably find another job because he can.

Søren is an intern so he may be a little fucked. I guess he'll keep working and just see us when we're not "learning" to write job applications. Ali will probably still be there full time as well, trying to find money.

If the game is ever finished in this scenario, it sure as hell won't be in four month :P

I'm not asking for sympathy, I make games FFS, but them's the facts, since you seemed interested :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

No need to despair. You got $20k and still got almost four weeks to go. That's great! It shows tremendous support from gamers worldwide. You can make this work, but you should really try everything you can (but I doubt I have to tell you that). More regular updates would certainly be a good start. It doesn't have to be very high in content, just tell something about yourself (preferably in a video), thank backers and keep on buggering websites ofc.
I will post a comment under RPS kickstarter katchups recommending your game. Did you send them your build already? I guess so but I'm interested nonetheless :)
About the build in general, to which websites did you send it? Did you contact websites directly for interviews?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DDL wrote:Well, you're getting my money regardless.

I'm assuming that if the kickstarter doesn't pay off, you're still going ahead with all this, right? I seem to recall that kickstarter is weird (you don't get the threshold = you get nothing?), but you've already got the desura deal thinger and basically a whole fucking game made, so there are..a ton of other options, I'm guessing.
I'm not sure about Kickstarter - but Indiegogo has a different funding option where you get any funds donated. But I think less people donate to those projects - because if the project doesn't get enough it may be doomed to failure but they've still got your money.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh jeez I'm not despairing, I'm still confident that we've got a good shot at making our goal, I was just laying out the worst case scenario because DDL seemed interested (and if any tiredness reflected in my tone it was only because I wrote it from Köln Hauptbahnhof after an extremely long day of closing up at Gamescom). I wouldn't have explained this anywhere else, but I know you guys and I feel like I can be honest with you without you assuming that I've given up just because I've thought that far ahead :)

And yeah, we've sent the press build to RPS, among others. No reply yet.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I like the update :)

Pledges have gone up as well. Let's hope they stay up!
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Pledged. Really want a boxed version, but afraid $100 is a little out of my price-class.
Hopefully my current pledge is enough :)
You are entirely correct, and they do so now actually. They still do kill themselves on AoO once in a while, because it's so satisfying to the player to set that up, but usually they'll switch to melee (and, if they're a trapper, suck really hard at it and still die by your sword on the next turn).
Good to hear.
Well you're just plain wrong there because the AI uses flanking quite well :)
That would be pretty impressive...

EDIT:
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1724533005
I wonder if that's the real J.E. Sawyer. If so, impressive. If just someone with the same name, less. :)
EDIT2: Same for Richard Cobbett... http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1496163083
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'm pretty sure they're both legit. I think the codex guys steered Mr Sawyer to the project, and Richard and Jonas are on pretty good terms. I'll throw some in this week and as I can't afford much this pay, I'll toss some more in the following week.

Also $1500 (approx) got pledged in 4 hours...maybe the Gamescon people have returned home. Things, knock wood toss salt over left shoulder, are looking up.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

unfortunately, that large infusion of 2100 came from just 9 backers...which is great, it's just so unusual that it's probably not going to happen reliably from now on.

The new backers pr. day has slowed down to a trickle =[
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AEmer wrote:unfortunately, that large infusion of 2100 came from just 9 backers...which is great, it's just so unusual that it's probably not going to happen reliably from now on.

The new backers pr. day has slowed down to a trickle =[
Erk, okay, but another 3k jumped in... in a tad under 3 hours since I last checked. I'm crossing everything that it's not a flash in the pan. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Hassat Hunter wrote: EDIT:
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1724533005
I wonder if that's the real J.E. Sawyer. If so, impressive. If just someone with the same name, less. :)
EDIT2: Same for Richard Cobbett... http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1496163083
It is, they tweeted that the pledged as well.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:That would be pretty impressive...
Impressive perhaps, but super simple to set up.

But we just re-implemented attacks of opportunity for moving around characters as well as away from them, which makes it pretty hard to flank, and now the AI does it a lot less.

We've also got critical hits now, and we've got partial cover.

And yeah that's the real Josh Sawyer, the Codex tweeted our Kickstarter at him and he pledged the next day. Cobbett, I poked myself :P
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine