Conquistador Kickstarter is live

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Conquistador Kickstarter is live

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:Well you're not affiliated with the company, so as long as you don't repeat the post over and over again they can hardly accuse you of spamming! You're just calling an interesting project to their attention, right? :P

RPS already covered the Kickstarter in their weekend Katchup post though. It did very little for our traffic because it was such a small mention, but we'll send them a playable build next week and hopefully that'll inspire them to give us a proper write-up :)
Heh, yeah, anyway some idiot named Bob just made a Conquistador related comment in today's RPS Kickstarter. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That Bob fellow sure seems like an educated and charming gentleman of discerning taste. Good on him, whoever he is.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Re: Numbers from indie game:
You're right. 10k sold is braids numbers, they are actually not relevant, because apparently the reason you want a high first day benchmark is because games like braid rely very much on the viral spread of popularity and the day1 xbox live arcade commercial...and you won't have to rely on either of those. On the other hand, you won't be able to just rely on viral spread either.

Day2: You made 3000 more in the next 24 hours.
In other words, your income is at a slight incline, and you're up to 5500 in 48 hours. That trend is really good.

That might be because the Kickstarter started on a Friday...fridays are typically impossible to get news writeups on because most places aren't very active on the weekend, but saturdays are apparently good for traffic because people have time for the internets?

Who knows, the point is, you'll be funded by day 25 at the current rate...which, again, means you need to keep up the current level of marketing for 25 days.

Which might be hard?

Also, doesn't itunes maintain a ranked list of podcast by popularity? I'd imagine you could select the gaming category, and then you'd probably get a list of 100 podcasts or so with 5000+ subscribers...

I mean, it would be difficult to tell who might be interested, but if you have a few forumers here willing to put some time in, we could conceivably crowdsource the search for relevant podcasters and get you a list of ones that might go for an interview with a kickstarter project.

It might give you a significant traffic boost, and it might be a way to continue to be a pressence in the digital space? As I see it, you need to drive new traffic to that kickstarter page every single day you can, so...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah you're right, well I'm definitely open to suggestions. I hit up Keanan Weaver on Twitter to see if I could get on Atomic Facepalm, and he was happy to invite me on, but it turns out they're recording tonight at 9:30 PM EST, which is 3:30 AM here, so that's a no-go.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jonas wrote:Yeah you're right, well I'm definitely open to suggestions. I hit up Keanan Weaver on Twitter to see if I could get on Atomic Facepalm, and he was happy to invite me on, but it turns out they're recording tonight at 9:30 PM EST, which is 3:30 AM here, so that's a no-go.
You could just ask for them to mention the game and such. Or hit up the Casual Core podcast, they did a double 'cast with AFP, so I think Chris Comiskey can ask them to give you a spot.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I pledged and I'll also send an e-mail to RPS about the project. How jolly exciting this is
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks man. Yeah sure send 'em an email, be cool if they know more people than just the developers are interested. We'll be finishing our next playable build this week, so I expect to send it off to RPS on Friday, that should encourage them to give us a more complete write-up :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I donated $20.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jonas, I spoke to David Shea and your Kickstarter has at least got a mention on the Atomic Facepalm podcast. Better than nothing, I guess. Might get you a few backers.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey that's really cool :D Thanks.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Tally is now up to 7600$. Very decent for 3 days - though sundays numbers aren't ideal. Only 2k in difference.

Guns of Icarus asked for 10k$ - the purpose was to finance a more online version of the game. The game itself is incredibly simple - it looks like a one-person effort, to be honest.

So, the developer got 30k out of his kickstarter, and while he of course had a game to show off up front to players, so they knew what they were getting into, well...guns of icarus isn't a particularly impressive game in the first place, its saving grace probably being that a lot of players got it effectively for free through bundles.

Current distribution is about 120 light 15 dollar backers, and about 60 30 dollar medium-backers, and then small amounts of high-paying heavy backers. About 40% of your money has come from the heavy backers, with about 25% from the light backers, and about 35% from the medium backers

To be successful, you need to raise around 1800 dollars every day from now on, which is either 120 light backers, 60 medium backers, or a small amount of heavy backers. With a distribution like it has been so far, you probably need 70 new backers every day from here on out.

Supposing you get 10% of the people who watch the trailer to eventually chip in, in some form, you probably need 700 new eyeballs on the trailer a day...which can totally be done, but you're in for some heavy lifting I think...However, an article at a popular blog, a mention by a popular twitter feed, or a news article every 2-3 days might do it...Reddit is definitely going to be good for at least 1000 people, and threads at something awful and similar large webforums should easily get similar numbers, supposing you're able to actively participate in the discussions. A Reddit AMA should help you out a lot too, that'll be at least 1000 more...And again, podcasts. Especially youtube video podcasts. Just one larger video podcast of 15k people should pay huge dividends.

Anyway, I'll keep cheering you on.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Not interested in the game (sorry just not my thing) but will be making a donation on payday for giving me TNM. Good luck.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:

So yeah, let me know if you have any questions, and please do throw in some funds if you have any to spare.
A technical question I guess: Friday is my payday and as things stand with utility bills and such I can afford $50. If I have some spare cash before the kickstarter finishes and throw in some more; Do I get a second key, and if so, can I transfer my second key to someone like one of the struggling students here?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas, have you decided on DRM?

If you have decided on no DRM(and you should ;)), you should prob put it somewhere on the kickstarter page.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum