Conquistador Kickstarter is live

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

shadowblade34
MJ12

Re: Conquistador Kickstarter is live

Post by shadowblade34 »

Oh, oh!

If anyone of you guys know who Boogie2988 is, you'll know he has a large Twitter and Youtube following. He's quite a nice guy, so I could easily ask him to tweet out the kickstarter. That will be one of the biggest plugs yet.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@Jaedar

The commentpage on the kickstarter has a little info on this.

Essentially, Logic Artists aren't making any promises that a DRM free version will be available, since DRM free distribution services may not allow the game to be distributed, and Logic Artists do not themselves plan on distribution to the kickstarter backers, as I understand it.

I...don't know exactly how that works though...

Come to think of it...there's a slight difference in content depending on whether you give 15 or 30 dollars, as a reward for 30$+ backers, but won't that create what's essentially 2 versions of the game?

And does that mean that if logic artists does manage to make a deal with either steam or some other distribution platform, that deal would somehow need to include these two versions (lets call it deluxe and standard) ?

Hrm, there might be something that needs clarifying there, potentially.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:Supposing you get 10% of the people who watch the trailer to eventually chip in, in some form, you probably need 700 new eyeballs on the trailer a day...which can totally be done, but you're in for some heavy lifting I think...However, an article at a popular blog, a mention by a popular twitter feed, or a news article every 2-3 days might do it...Reddit is definitely going to be good for at least 1000 people, and threads at something awful and similar large webforums should easily get similar numbers, supposing you're able to actively participate in the discussions. A Reddit AMA should help you out a lot too, that'll be at least 1000 more...And again, podcasts. Especially youtube video podcasts. Just one larger video podcast of 15k people should pay huge dividends.
You know about this page? http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/212812 ... quistador/

I'll be carefully posting to Reddit for the next couple of weeks, just have to not make it "GIVE US YOUR MONEY!" but rather find more interesting and subtle angles, Reddit - for good reasons - aren't big on self-promotion. One thing I'll do, for example, is post a devblog entry about our development tools today, and then link that to /r/Gamedev. I probably won't do an AMA, however, because I have no idea how to sell that in a good way. "IAMA game designer who just launched a project on Kickstarter" - yeah great, join the club, the rest of the members are over there in the corner, wearing the dunce cap as penalty for their shameless self-promotion :P

We already got threads on SA and several other game forums. The RPG Codex fucking loved us, surprisingly.
bobby 55 wrote:A technical question I guess: Friday is my payday and as things stand with utility bills and such I can afford $50. If I have some spare cash before the kickstarter finishes and throw in some more; Do I get a second key, and if so, can I transfer my second key to someone like one of the struggling students here?
You can't pledge twice, as far as I know, you can only raise your pledge. And if you want more than one digital copy of the game, you'll have to raise your pledge all the way up to $1000. I suspect even your generosity doesn't extend that far. However, at $100 you get a boxed version of the game as well as the digital version, and you are of course free to give either of them away :)

Jaedar wrote:Jonas, have you decided on DRM?

If you have decided on no DRM(and you should ;)), you should prob put it somewhere on the kickstarter page.
As Mads said, we can't make any promises. We want to get the game out on established digitial distribution platforms, and the top two wishes on our list are Steam and GoG. If we can somehow get the game out on both those platforms, I'm not sure which version the Kickstarter pledgers will get, but ideally we'd let you choose. It probably mostly depends on whether Steam (assuming they'll even accept us, or we get through on Greenlight) will let us hand out game keys that activate on their platform. I suppose I can't rule out the possibility that nobody will have us on their platform, in which case we'll just have to bite the bullet and arrange some sort of direct digital distribution system ourselves. That's a bit more of a pain in the ass than we want to deal with, so it's only the very last way out. If that happens, it'll definitely be DRM free.

If all else fails I'll send you a bloody stand-alone build myself, if you promise not to immediately put up a torrent of it ;)
AEmer wrote:Come to think of it...there's a slight difference in content depending on whether you give 15 or 30 dollars, as a reward for 30$+ backers, but won't that create what's essentially 2 versions of the game?

And does that mean that if logic artists does manage to make a deal with either steam or some other distribution platform, that deal would somehow need to include these two versions (lets call it deluxe and standard) ?
Assuming you mean the exclusive item and character, that will most likely take the form of an activation code that we send you, which you can input either through the in-game menu or into Steam or similar distribution client, which will unlock the content. I'll admit we're not entirely sure how we'll do it though, since again - we haven't been accepted by any distribution platforms yet. I assure you we'll work something out - it may not be fancy or elegant, but at the very least it'll do the trick ;)
shadowblade34 wrote:If anyone of you guys know who Boogie2988 is, you'll know he has a large Twitter and Youtube following. He's quite a nice guy, so I could easily ask him to tweet out the kickstarter. That will be one of the biggest plugs yet.
Sounds cool, as always I'd be much obliged for your assistance with spreading the word :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:A technical question I guess: Friday is my payday and as things stand with utility bills and such I can afford $50. If I have some spare cash before the kickstarter finishes and throw in some more; Do I get a second key, and if so, can I transfer my second key to someone like one of the struggling students here?
You can't pledge twice, as far as I know, you can only raise your pledge. And if you want more than one digital copy of the game, you'll have to raise your pledge all the way up to $1000. I suspect even your generosity doesn't extend that far. However, at $100 you get a boxed version of the game as well as the digital version, and you are of course free to give either of them away :)
Thanks, you answered my question re funding. Increasing the pledge sounds sensible. I wasn't concerned so much about having an extra copy, only about passing it on if I did get one. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Perhaps do a Q&A on reddit? Promote it as a service towards potential backers and it might get you some exposure as well as helping backers decide whether or not they should back your project.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

IAMAN Independent Game Developer who has been trying to make it on my own for the past 9 months AMAA

You don't list what you want to promote. You do the AMA because people will want to ask you questions. You put your own name in the description, but you don't even link the kickstarter in the description. You provide credentials to the mods, and you tell them that you want to do the AMA because reddit might be curious to ask questions of someone in your position.

Someone will ask you about your projects. You will explain about your past projects and about your current projects. You will hopefully link to something playable from DADIU ?

One of those projects will be your kickstarter. I will upvote the question and the answer - and so will your friends - and it will bubble quickly to the top, particularly if it gets a few quick upvotes in succession, which it will.

Someone will xpost the AMA to gaming.
Once the AMA has bubbled up considerably, at around 6-7 hours in, if the question regarding the projects has begun bubbling down, you will simply edit the description, write "EDIT:" in front, and explain that this is a very frequently asked question so you decided to just put it upthere.

And that's it. It'll boost your traffic, but you're not using the AMA to boost the traffic - you're doing it because a lot of people might want to know about your situation.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Also, no, I didn't know about the kickstarter stats page....but that doesn't really matter, I kindof wanted to do those posts for posterity...
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Numbers are looking good so far :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Numbers are looking all right so far. I expect the trickle will be slow for the rest of the week, then we start sending out a playable build to the major press outlets and that should do the trick.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

numbers are fine in objective terms - that is a lot of pledged money for an indie developer within this time - they're just not looking that good considering how much you need to finish it...your project is simply larger and more expensive than many of the cheaper ones.

In terms of reaching the goal...you pretty much need to carry this all the way to the goal. You're trending fine, but considering you've had mentions and articles and news items, as well as forum activity buzzing...well, you just need to keep that going I guess.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: If all else fails I'll send you a bloody stand-alone build myself, if you promise not to immediately put up a torrent of it ;)
Cool :)

But I was thinking more in terms of PR.
Jonas wrote:The RPG Codex fucking loved us, surprisingly.
Not that surprising. Just saying "turn-based RPG" is basically enough these days.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

If only you had a chance to go to Eurogamer Expo, Jonas. They're currently accepting submissions for their Indie Games Arcade, and RPS is in charge of picking the games.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ubmissions
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We'll be at Gamescom next week, that's pretty much our last money gone :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Rock Paper Shotgun wrote:Danish dev Logic Artists’ tactical RPG-cum-strategy is driven by its 16th century Spanish storyline. Packed with hexagons and history, it’s added on an amazing $10k this week. There’s still a long way to go, and it’d be good to see some more enthusiasm about that in the updates. Currently there’s, er, none. But they have made clear that the Desura release of the game will be DRM free, so that’s good news.
Sound advice I think.