Conquistador Kickstarter is live

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Conquistador Kickstarter is live

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:Is it just me or is mexico a bit.... too easy? Haven't seen a hard fight yet. Then again the map is pretty huge, so anything could happen.
I'm not as familiar with tactical combat but in the beta it wasn't for me. I did find myself with plenty of resources but there was a difficulty curve in general I thought.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It tends to...massively reward cleverness and thoughtful tactical play (making you think "hey this is pretty easy"), and massively punish lazy careless mistakes (making you O_o).

Like "whoops, I left my doctor exposed. And now she's injured. And she can't cure herself. And now she's dead. And now someone else has come down with dysentery. And now they're dead too. And everyone's lost morale. And now my racist followers have jumped ship. And now I've got five guys left, none of whom are hunters. Whelp, I'm fucked."

It can go a bit "For want of a nail" very quickly, if you're not careful.

And this is, of course, wonderful.

Also, the writing is superb. SUPERB.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

DDL wrote:

Also, the writing is superb. SUPERB.
Absolutely.... and the music. I'm enjoying the gameplay more this time too, since I've got a better handle on things.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Yeah, it's definitely struggling first time, then getting the hang the next.

Which is fine by me. Heck I finished the Deus Ex demo Liberty Island 20 times or so before I got the final game. The first few times I started it I got massacred. Baldur's Gates still mutilate me too. But I'm loving it :). A bit of a learning curve isn't a bad thing. Too much is, but... that's another story. None-whatsover, that's the worst option.

And yeah, the difficulty of Mexico really depends much on how you did Hispaniola. If you end up with a lot of goodies there. I still think it would be a good idea to loose some, what with shipwrecking and all. With a minimum of the values you start with from the New Game menu...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:Also, the writing is superb. SUPERB.
Oh you :oops:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I finally found time to finish Hispaniola. Every quest done and every millimetre explored. I'll see how Mexico plays this time with a bit more experience under my belt. :)
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Recently canardpc magazine made a review of Expeditions: Conquistador. I've already said it. This magazine is renowned for his mocking / zany tone. But this time, even for a regular reader like myself, I found the 4-page review completely delirious and extremely laudatory. This was unexpected. I mean cpc, short word for canardpc, is seldom ecstatic in their reviews. I'm not in the mood to translate the full review but her is the final comment:

If you have 20 euros, buy Expeditions: Conquistador. If you are broke, go find an old lady or a blind bum and rob them. If you don’t have the Net, reroute the Internet connection of your neighbour... If you don’t have a computer you’ve probably bought the wrong magazine. No problem : go steal one and keep in mind the previous advice. I don’t know if God will reward you, but that way Logic Artists will be in a position to work on a brand-new project, and that’s all that matters now. 9/10
work on a brand-new project,

a brand-new project,

a brand-new project...
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I played it for one hour or so. It looks amazing. It also seems like the kind of game I like to play.

Out in the wild, at some point we were attacked by natives. I absolutely got my ass handed. I wasn't doing as well as I could've done perhaps, but I'm not sure how I could fight something like 10 natives with only 6 men, without any experience.

Perhaps I should practice battles first. Unless it's normal to be annihilated at the beginning of the game when you're randomly ambushed? I really don't know, this was my first battle. If that's something that just happens then I probably better simply go on.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

gamer0004 wrote:I played it for one hour or so. It looks amazing. It also seems like the kind of game I like to play.

Out in the wild, at some point we were attacked by natives. I absolutely got my ass handed. I wasn't doing as well as I could've done perhaps, but I'm not sure how I could fight something like 10 natives with only 6 men, without any experience.

Perhaps I should practice battles first. Unless it's normal to be annihilated at the beginning of the game when you're randomly ambushed? I really don't know, this was my first battle. If that's something that just happens then I probably better simply go on.
With a bit of "battle-hardening" you'll find coping with the attacks easier. I absolutely sucked when I started but, while I won't say I'm good at it, I'm now able to get through them without too much pain. There are a few attacks in Hispaniola though most have, erm, less than ten enemies to deal with, and allow a "preparation" phase. Once you work out tactics and which party members suit those tactics it does get manageable. :)
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I was able to put down traps... But they didn't work for some reason. I thought I put them in points where enemies had to walk through, and they moved around near the traps and, I thought, on/trough the traps as well, but nothing happened.

But cheers, I'll soldier on and hopefully slaughter them next time. So much for my peaceful intentions.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

There's no escaping the scripted battles. Laying traps can be a bit hit-and-miss but once you've learned to make barricades...let's just say I'm sure you'll work it out. :)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I had no idea that Jonas worked on this game.. now its even more impressive!. Congratulations on a fantastic game.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

You can currently vote on Steam for it to be -75% off!
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Quite surprised Risen2 won.

Oh well, knowing steam sales, conquistador will be up for the same discount at least once more
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I had no idea that Jonas worked on this game.. now its even more impressive!. Congratulations on a fantastic game.
"Worked on"? Bitch please, I wrote the whole damn thing. Actually managed to surpass TNM's word count in less than a year ;)

Also: thanks.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine