Game concept

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Game concept

Post by DDL »

Ah, worry ye not: I expect I'll have forgotten by the time I get around to picking up MotB again (I went through a considerable lull between finishing NWN2 and starting MotB and found I'd totally forgotten how to play a wizard).

Just don't go spoiling Mass Effect 3 for me (coz I started that this weekend). :D
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I'm not sure how much of that would factor into the main game I want to make, Aemer; I mostly like the idea of using Charon and greek mythology because it's awesome. If I were to bring that in, though, I'd to it properly - not just name the antagonist Charon and have done with it.

Currently, I'm more interested in experimenting with the horror side and seeing what works, which is why I'm working on a slightly different project at the moment. Right now, it's pretty cliché - there is a story but it's mostly just to set up the gameplay which is an extreme form of survival horror.

The basic premise in terms of gameplay is: you have no constant light source so you have to rely on the sporadic lighting of the mansion and finding/carrying candles around until they extinguish. The 'enemy' randomly patrols, so you have to use audio cues to evade it by barricading rooms (dragging furniture to block a door) or hiding (either in the shadows, or in cupboards ala Hitman). While there would be some scripted scares, most contact with the enemy would be random, and if you're seen running is the only option. I've got some ideas for subtle tricks like making doors in the room dissapear when the player's not looking, having objects move around when you're out of a room etc.

Right now I'm coming up with the main 'puzzle' once you enter the mansion. I've got the short linear section up to that point sorted, I just need to come up with an interesting narrative for the main part of the game. Game design is hard :(
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

oh sure, it's fair that you might not find much direct use in what I wrote; I just find your initial project intriguing, so I rambled on about it a bit =]

I like the idea of exploring an existing literary figure through a game. I think that's a very cool concept.