It feels like the real world is starting to reflect DX

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Captain_Destro
UNATCO

It feels like the real world is starting to reflect DX

Post by Captain_Destro »

Let me start by saying I am not a conspiracy nut, but for many things one exists. This is really just for fun, it is pretty shocking though honestly.. Looking at how things changed in 10-11 years.

2001-2012 Current Time
-Starting back looking at Katrina and the Government's response. It gives us a sample of how a collapse would be in the few days it lasted. Firearms were confiscated from law abiding citizens who only wished to protect their family from looters, rapists, and murderers running rampant. The police and military were incapable of protecting everyone at the time. Bad things sadly occurred along with this national disaster.

-The controversy surrounding the attacks on the twin towers and the pentagon. The lack of a thorough investigations leave many skeptical. Too many people sacrificed their lives trying to save people from the incident. Too many innocent people perished, the least our own government could do is give us a concise report.

-The Patriot Act being signed following 9/11. Government and police no longer need warrants for searches and wire taps as long as they are backed up with "probable cause"

-War begins in the middle east, Iraq is targeted because of "WMDs" supposedly found. This later was proven to be false and there were no WMDs. Currently there is an ongoing war in Afghanistan. It may not have an end in site due to natural resources and weapons possessed by the government in that country would be at high risk.

-Rumors of "Skull and bones" influencing politics. (Illuminati?)

-National Guards begin deploying on foreign land. Usually they are left on U.S. soil to help with disaster relief or defending the home land.

-The frequent loss of rights following the Patriot Act.

- Air travel as we know it changes, cameras, metal detectors, and recently full body scanners are at most airports and some bus/train terminals. TSA agents violate people in full body searches.

-Police in most cases only need a "probable cause" to search a vehicle. A warrant is no longer needed if the department can cover their asses.

-Red light cameras become more common, as well as cameras on city streets and blocks.

-Facebook and other social media going global eliminating most of the privacy people once enjoyed. People willingly but unknowingly gave up their privacy. Following this some employers/corporations demand face book access for their employees.

- Unmanned "Drones" start to become common on the battlefield.

-Cities and police departments start looking into and purchasing remote control drones for surveillance. (I'm expecting a person to get charged on indecent exposure by sunbathing naked in their fenced off backyard :oops: ) The drones in question are used in the middle east to carry out attacks on targets. Physical privacy as you know it might be gone. Certain departments talk of arming these drones with "less than lethal" weapons.

- The military begins research on a power armor.

- NDAA was recently signed. National Defense Authorization Act allows the government to indefinitely detain Americans

-Patriot Act becomes extended.
-Freedom of speech has become limited at times, some people can be arrested on "conspiracy charges" or "disturbing the peace". Recently a marine (served in Iraq and Afghanistan) was arrested for using his freedom of speech to post on face book. The FBI promptly sent him to a mental hospital, 3 hours away from his family and lawyers. Essentially he might "disappear" or become "re-educated". He is being held against his will with no charges.

-Chicago Mayor Emanuel tries to make it so no protests are allowed at the G8 NATO summit.

-The police presence at the G8 Summit in Chicago. Police forces soon become an almost militarized presence. Talk back or disagree to the police and you could find yourself, beaten, tasered, or OC sprayed.

-Protests take place all around the country, sparking the same in other countries.

-Egypt, Libya, Syria become sparked with civil unrest. Egypt later establishes a new form of government.

-The far right, and the far left start to influence politics and destroy what the political parties once stood for.

-Rumors of FEMA camp locations along with piles of "coffins" have been reported.

-Rumors of the military preparing for social unrest/Martial Law. Platoons of "military police" are being formed to help local law enforcement in cities in case of this.

-Current attempts of gun control on law abiding citizens seem never ending. Citizens are at risk when it comes to self defense, especially in cities in Chicago/ the state of Illinois where gun laws are harsh and conceal carry is not allowed. (It seems a lot like Deus Ex where politicians, body guards, police, military, and "criminals" only have a firearm. At the time of Deus Ex there is a martial law enacted and if I recall the whole reason the NSF started or part of the reason is because of gun confiscation at first. Sorry if I am wrong on that.) The average citizen is usually defenseless against thugs and corrupt government workers. From what I am learning it is not a Police Officer's duty to protect the public, but to enforce the laws of a city, state, county or federal ordinance. (I want to be a cop but I want to be one of those who make a difference.)

- Bizarre diseases are starting to be contracted in this county and others. Drug resistant tuberculosis, an upgraded swine flu, and reports of mutate bird flu effect other countries. Along with the "bath salts" incidents that occurred in June/July.

Just found it all interesting, I'm really sorry if I offended anyone.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: It feels like the real world is starting to reflect DX

Post by gamer0004 »

Much of the stuff you mention is not new; Deus Ex was based precisely on that stuff (like the FEMA conspriacy stuff, illuminati, blood and bones &c.). And I do not think 9/11 hasn't been "thoroughly" investigated. I don't know what Iraq has anything to do with it.
DX did predict certain changes like the use of terrorism threats to do away with pesky things like human rights and privacy and that technology has been an important tool to achieve that, which is quite impressive. But let's not get carried away too much...
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

Well about Iraq, originally the war on terror included Afghanistan. The current administration in 2001 some how lumped Iraq in there to pursue a personal grudge of the current president and his father's. They talked a lot of people into believing they were a terrorist threat and proceeded to "liberate" them? Some have different arguments whether it was for money, or just getting even with Saddam (The guy was an asshole though) . It just seemed like a "false war" to many people. ( I respect the people who served our country and fought but i have no respect for the politicians who sent them there in the first place.)

Yes these are not new events but take a step back. Within the past 10 years everything I listed has been a development as time goes on. If you were to go back to the year 2000 and list all of these things people would expect it to be science fiction or another Tom Clancy novel, nobody would believe it. The whole concept of remote control surveillance drones would have been tinfoil hattery to some.

So between corruption, technological/big brother advances, suspicious behavior, etc. It seems like Deus Ex and the real world are starting to bridge together depending on what you can believe by just observing facts not conspiracies.. I mean it is a fact people are lobbying for power with whatever chance they get. Maybe not somebody as cut throat as say Bob Page but there are seemingly soul-less corporations out there attempting it.

When you get into it the possibility of a single hub filtering everything does become plausible in the future(It would have made SOPA/CISPA more efficient if it had passed.)

I'm not trying to sound off, I just think it is interesting to have this discussion especially on a Deus Ex forum.
Chris
UNATCO
Location: In the secret underground MJ12 base in Goat City, as a prisoner.

Post by Chris »

And to mention, they're starting to make Universal Constructors (Nano-factories) (some shit).
Platypus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Please don't start more nonsense about conspiracy theories being real. They make for fun fiction - that's it.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

DaveW wrote:Please don't start more nonsense about conspiracy theories being real. They make for fun fiction - that's it.
But you have to agree that people do conspire, and there are real conspiracy theories. However I'm not saying that these are true.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Chris
UNATCO

Post by Chris »

shadowblade34 wrote:
DaveW wrote:Please don't start more nonsense about conspiracy theories being real. They make for fun fiction - that's it.
But you have to agree that people do conspire, and there are real conspiracy theories. However I'm not saying that these are true.
Agreed. They might be working on Nano-Augmentation projects later in the future.
Platypus
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

shadowblade34 wrote:
Like I said I wasn't trying to get into conspiracy. The only things involving it are the so called "rumors" I am hearing of. Out of everything I listed there is maybe 2-3 conspiracy theories, the rest are fact if you research them or it is common knowledge we hear about every day. What I am getting at is how life is changing toward something similar to 1984/Deus Ex. I'm just saying things are changing and "1984" is looking more and more real each passing advance in technology. Big Brother is here.

Stuff about the domestic drones, TSA occupying public transit, etc are real. It is just amazing, but scary how much technology is beginning to change. All of this seems to come up in law class because of how iffy our constitutional rights have become because of newer technology/current state post 9/11.

I guess 3D printers could be considered a step toward a Universal Constructor? Currently it is all plastic, and even metal. Nothing organic... yet :roll:

Human augmentation, especially nano seems kind of far off. I'm thinking they are hurrying to finish exoskeleton suits and improve the "future soldier" program. Not sure if anyone seen the History channel special on it. Power source aside it is pretty mobile and increases the users strength. It could be outfitted with Kevlar/Ballistic plates without fatiguing the user. (Oh lord... sounds awfully a lot like a Spartan Suit...)

As for bots in say Deus Ex, most city police departments will have unmanned drones monitoring things, eventually with some form of weapons system.

Cameras everywhere? Check....
Chris
UNATCO

Post by Chris »

Like I said I wasn't trying to get into conspiracy. The only things involving it are the so called "rumors" I am hearing of. Out of everything I listed there is maybe 2-3 conspiracy theories, the rest are fact if you research them or it is common knowledge we hear about every day. What I am getting at is how life is changing toward something similar to 1984/Deus Ex. I'm just saying things are changing and "1984" is looking more and more real each passing advance in technology. Big Brother is here.

Stuff about the domestic drones, TSA occupying public transit, etc are real. It is just amazing, but scary how much technology is beginning to change. All of this seems to come up in law class because of how iffy our constitutional rights have become because of newer technology/current state post 9/11.

I guess 3D printers could be considered a step toward a Universal Constructor? Currently it is all plastic, and even metal. Nothing organic... yet :roll:

Human augmentation, especially nano seems kind of far off. I'm thinking they are hurrying to finish exoskeleton suits and improve the "future soldier" program. Not sure if anyone seen the History channel special on it. Power source aside it is pretty mobile and increases the users strength. It could be outfitted with Kevlar/Ballistic plates without fatiguing the user. (Oh lord... sounds awfully a lot like a Spartan Suit...)

As for bots in say Deus Ex, most city police departments will have unmanned drones monitoring things, eventually with some form of weapons system.

Cameras everywhere? Check....
And the armor sounds a lot like the Obsidian Armor of the MJ12's Commandos. But its fairly weak, two shots to the head with a pistol. The Cameras everywhere are for the "rumored" Echelon Program.

Technology today has became a lot more complex then the last century. Drones are kind of creeping me out. I wonder if something similar to "The Terminator 3" movie happens? Nah, wouldnt happen in a hundred years...
Platypus
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/HK-Drone
The predator drones of the US Air Force are directly based off of the HK-Drones, except that it's operated by a human thousands of miles away.[citation needed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Preda ... llfire.jpg

Only difference is they are remote controlled, no AI yet... Still spooky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MQ-1_Predator

:shock:
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I'm afraid that referencing 1984 renders anything you say not worth responding to with a serious/un-patronizing tone.
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

Is there really any point in making such statements? If you don't care for such a discussion why bother chiming in. I'm not comparing it directly to 1984, but there are certain aspects that are tough to ignore. :roll:

I'm trying not to be completely serious at all. It just make for an interesting/entertaining discussion. Hell I was pretty bored before I posted this.

If it's not your cup of tea then why bother chiming in, no need to be to be a spoilsport buddy. You are come off as a tad bit condescending.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Like I said - rational discussion takes a nose-dive out the window the moment you start comparing things to 1984.
Captain_Destro
UNATCO

Post by Captain_Destro »

DaveW wrote:Like I said - rational discussion takes a nose-dive out the window the moment you start comparing things to 1984.
I will make no further comment to you if you feel that way and don't feel like contributing to the discussion. No need to waste each others, and this board's time by starting a potential debate/pissing match of sorts. If somebody feels they are above another person so be it. Not like it matters to me at all, since I'm only here for my own entertainment.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

DaveW wrote:Like I said - rational discussion takes a nose-dive out the window the moment you start comparing things to 1984.
Did you read 1984? I know referencing 1984 typically falls under "OMG COMMUNISM!11" but it's actually rather intriguing and if you know anything about world history it's not far-fetched either...