Hello friends, please critique/ravage these business ideas

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hashi
Silhouette

Hello friends, please critique/ravage these business ideas

Post by Hashi »

Greetings good friends

I am currently enrolled in an innovation competition, where the top team can win 40k to turn their idea into a business and the second place gets 15k or so

Anyway, so my friends and I have gone through a number of ideas, and trashed most of them, but I would still like an outside opinion of the following ideas:

#1 A site like flightfox.com, but for computer parts. You would put together your requirements (or get help through the site to do so) and people would work against each other to get the cheapest price on the combined parts and the user would choose what "package" he wants, and rewards the user with a bit of money and the site would make some money too. I can't really think of anything else the site does

Pros
Experts will work to get a good price on parts

Cons
People already do this for free on forums (but the same was true for flightfox)
When someone thinks about buying a PC, they don't think "people can compete to get me the best price!"
It's just a list of links and then you have to pay the individual prices if it's from different vendors, whereas there already are booking systems for airlines so that the process works smoother for user booking

#2 A site that connects people who want custom PC cases with people who like to make them. That's about it really.

Pros
Through the site you can submit designs for what you want in a case and hopefully someone can make it for you (as far as I have seen, there are no such sites. There are only sites that already stock premade cases, you can't submit your own design)

Cons
Shipping is huge
If you like custom PC cases, would you pay someone to make it, or would you make it yourself?
Extremely niche
How to deal with customer complaints. What if the specifications aren't quite correct and the person who buys the case can't fit their PC parts in?

So yeah we had a few other ideas, but none were good enough to elaborate on here. The next was one basically a city pack for people who are new to a city, whether visiting or moving. But the issue is how to advertise these packs, would they cost money etc?

So yeah do any of those ideas have a future in any context or do these ideas belong in the bin?

Thank you in advance friends