System Shock 2 2.4 - It's real, and it's awesome.

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AgentOrange
UNATCO

System Shock 2 2.4 - It's real, and it's awesome.

Post by AgentOrange »

Yesterday, somebody released a patch for System Shock 2 he calls "2.4". And it basically removes any engine limitations the game previously had, as well as adding windowed mode and removing the requirement of outdated video codecs, adding 32-Bit color support, etc. A similar patch also exists for Thief.

You can find links to download both of them here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

EDIT: Also just noticed that the added 32-Bit support will let you use the Steam Overlay with the game now, which I don't remember being possible before.
Last edited by AgentOrange on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Re: System Shock 2 2.4 - It's real, and it's awesome.

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Well, that kind of came out of nowhere. Cool nonetheless, kudos to whoever made it.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Hell yes on the Thief 2 patch. I recently found a decent patch for Thief 3 released a few years ago that fixes the limited resolution choices - especially important for me playing at above HD resolution. I had no problems running Thief 1 and 2 on my most recent PC's though - the only advantage to having ATI cards it seems.

Shame there isn't one for Thief 1 (yet, anyway) - but I guess that would be a different verison of the Dark engine.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Interesting. I may actually take the time to get into ShockED now.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Excellent find, indeed! I played through the game in 2001 (3 years before fully playing through DX as well) and I've planned to play it again ever since 2004... anyway, I didn't even get the game to run on my current rig with the fan-made patches but this one there are ostensibly no problems which is a definite plus.

(How many more years will it take for me to actually carry out the 2nd playthrough, eh, we'll see)
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I really want to play SS2 with 3 friends, but last time we tried, it was too hard to make it work.

My dream version of SS2 has HDTP and rebirth probably a rebalance mod, and I'll be able to just redistribute it and it'll _just work_ for people....but I don't know when and whether that can be done.....
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

Also, the old TGfix patch for Thief and Thief Gold has added this in, so Thief 1 is getting attention too.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I wouldn't bother with SS2 coop with more than 2 people. I've played it through with 2 people twice but the maps are really designed for one person.
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

I think this could be great for a kind of Revision Mod for System Shock 2. At least the parts that doesn't use the map. For example at the beginning when you arrive in that cart. They can make something similar to the Half Life opening but instead with a city scape view and flying vehicles around in the sky making a more exiting opening map.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I agree SS2 and DXs openings/training levels could do with a make over, and would like to see it happen.
But they are fine as they are too, if that makes sense.

Someone ripped the PS2 cinematic intro for DX I discovered recently, whatever happened to that? Although some lines of dialogue were cut I still prefer it.
that guy wrote:I wouldn't bother with SS2 coop with more than 2 people. I've played it through with 2 people twice but the maps are really designed for one person.
Yeah definately not a social game, I refuse to even try co-op. Simulation and surivival horror aspects would be completely ruined in most cases I assume, and those two aspects of the design blend so well in singleplayer. Well all the elements of design do in my opinion.
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

This is a little sketch I made for the opening sequence (looks really bad :? )

The training area could be much more entertaining as well. They could also make some flying ships passing by just by the street you have to cross to enter the UNN Facility(I'm not sure if that's how is really called) or expanding the street so the player can look to the sky and see some flying cars or something.

There's so many things that can me twitched with the game-play as well. There could be a stamina meter linked with the endurance property that forces you to eat to recover in order to make fast movements.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Marcelo wrote: There's so many things that can me twitched with the game-play as well. There could be a stamina meter linked with the endurance property that forces you to eat to recover in order to make fast movements.
SS2 gameplay is more than enough. But again yes some tweaks and changes in my favour would be nice.
Not sure about eating to stay fit though. Works in Fallout where the game has sleeping system and is 100+ hours worth of gameplay, but SS2 is what, 12-15 hrs of gameplay. It's all in a days work for goggles :smile: