Some details on GTA V

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Some details on GTA V

Post by Cybernetic pig »

"Same game"?

No not at all. I'd rather they expanded on the RPG elements in San Andreas, make all guns manual aim and polish the mechanics, Completely new story and missions (but keep one protagonist), bring back kill frenzies, modding cars, and then just add tons of new content in general like they used to. Same formula, just vastly expanded on, which is how it was up until IV...and look how that turned out.

It is how the Deus Ex series should have evolved too.

Fallout: New Vegas is a brilliant game- same formula expanded.
Even god damn Call of Duty has been the same just adding new stuff on top each time...I wouldn't have it any other way tbh, if they want to make dramatic changes do it with the pathetic campaign.

Innovation is great and expected but dont fucking remove the stuff that is good about the past games in the series, just add on top where possible until you end up with an extremely polished and content-filled experience.

Anyway side tracking here. Im sure it will good in the end, Rockstar rarely make a bad/mediocre game.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

I'd rather they'd not do what San Andreas did and do something else. I was happy GTA IV, which rivals Deus Ex for my favourite game of all time.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

What did you like so much about GTAIV?
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

The new engine, the Liberty City atmosphere, the characters, the story, just everything about it. I had never enjoyed a game like that since I first played Deus Ex.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/19/gta-5 ... an-houser/
Well, I guess I might not even be able to play it.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

shadowblade34 wrote:http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/19/gta-5 ... an-houser/
Well, I guess I might not even be able to play it.

I'll do another playthrough of Saints Row 3 if that's the way it turns out. I'm sure there'll be plenty of games for the PC to choose from by then.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Damn these game companies trying to innovate! I want the same experience over and over again, dammit!

On the no-PC version, Rockstar is really confusing when it comes to platforms. Despite RAGE being ported to the PC for GTA 4, they're pretty steadfast in not making a Red Dead Redemption port. I really don't understand why; the production cost would easily be met by even lackluster sales.

I understand PS3 exclusives, with the developer getting a kickback from Sony - but not Xbox exclusives because Microsoft are intentionally not supporting their own fucking platform (Windows.) Console-only releases are understandable if the developer has made the decision to use an in-house engine for whatever insane reason (why would you do that?)..but this makes no sense.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DaveW wrote:Damn these game companies trying to innovate!

DaveW wrote:Console-only releases are understandable if the developer has made the decision to use an in-house engine for whatever insane reason (why would you do that?)
Hypocrite much?

And I think you misread my last post. Innovation is expected.

And anyway these days innovation= remove melee combat and tied RPG elements & choice and consequence with immersion breaking instakill repetitive contextual animations....but let's not go there again eh.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Hypocrite much?
Er, not if you have any concept of context?

There is no need for in-house engines anymore unless you're doing something that requires deep-level intergration. All in-house engines do is cause problems (either on release or further down the line) and leave everyone playing catch-up with their crappy engines. Deus Ex is moddable because it was built on a clean version of the Unreal engine, hence you can use generic renderers. Compare that to IW, which uses a non-standard engine, and you can't do anything* with it.

*Yes, you can hack the levels and force them to reference external DDS files - but it's extremely hacky

The amount of games ruined by internal engines is staggering. Take Boiling Point / White Gold / Precursors - all games that could have been great and were made with the best of intentions. But the studio insisted on using their own "Vital engine" which proved time and time again to be a complete piece of shit.

If people stopped re-inventing the wheel and focused on creating innovations on top of the existing engines, we could move along a lot faster. How about Rockstar took all the time and money they dedicated to developing RAGE into something like lifelike AI and sell it as middleware - then everyone can benefit from fantastic AI. Instead, all the studios pursue their own AI systems which are all fucking awful.
Cybernetic pig wrote:And anyway these days innovation= remove melee combat and tied RPG elements & choice and consequence with immersion breaking instakill repetitive contextual animations....but let's not go there again eh.
Yeah, let's not, since your opinion on Human Revolution has absolutely nothing to do with it.

This is the problem: your attitude is don't try anything new, just do the same again with a few shiny things on top. That's not innovation. It's also a fucking terrible attitude to have, and I'm glad at least some game studios don't pander to people like you or else every game series would be like Call of Duty.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DaveW wrote: Er, not if you have any concept of context?

There is no need for in-house engines anymore unless you're doing something that requires deep-level intergration. All in-house engines do is cause problems (either on release or further down the line) and leave everyone playing catch-up with their crappy engines. Deus Ex is moddable because it was built on a clean version of the Unreal engine, hence you can use generic renderers. Compare that to IW, which uses a non-standard engine, and you can't do anything* with it.

*Yes, you can hack the levels and force them to reference external DDS files - but it's extremely hacky

The amount of games ruined by internal engines is staggering. Take Boiling Point / White Gold / Precursors - all games that could have been great and were made with the best of intentions. But the studio insisted on using their own "Vital engine" which proved time and time again to be a complete piece of shit.

If people stopped re-inventing the wheel and focused on creating innovations on top of the existing engines, we could move along a lot faster. How about Rockstar took all the time and money they dedicated to developing RAGE into something like lifelike AI and sell it as middleware - then everyone can benefit from fantastic AI. Instead, all the studios pursue their own AI systems which are all fucking awful.
Fair enough. Duly noted.
DaveW wrote: This is the problem: your attitude is don't try anything new, just do the same again with a few shiny things on top. That's not innovation. It's also a fucking terrible attitude to have, and I'm glad at least some game studios don't pander to people like you or else every game series would be like Call of Duty.
Context, Dave.
Yes that is my attitude towards existing series (yet the new stuff on top can still be innovative). Dramatic quantum leap innovation- new IP. Just my opinion though.

Edit: Dont grill me, I missread your post there. So you would prefer it if every single game in a series had dramatic changes? Much like the Deus Ex series? Then we can just agree to disagree. Fuck that. I mean sure we would get some cool and interesting games but if I find something I enjoy, i'd like it to expand and improve, not turn into something else, and I think you do too, just maybe not for video games.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Context, Dave.
Yes that is my attitude towards existing series (yet the new stuff on top can still be innovative). Dramatic quantum leap innovation- new IP. Just my opinion though.

Edit: Dont grill me, I missread your post there. So you would prefer it if every single game in a series had dramatic changes? Much like the Deus Ex series? Then we can just agree to disagree. Fuck that. I mean sure we would get some cool and interesting games but if I find something I enjoy, i'd like it to expand and improve, not turn into something else, and I think you do too, just maybe not for video games.
But what Rockstar are proposing isn't a "quantum leap innovation" - it's still clearly Grand Theft Auto, but with some experimentation with how the story and missions are played out. And frankly, that's necessary with a series that's used the same storytelling methods since GTA3. Now, something like Unreal to Unreal 2 or Quake to Quake 2? That is "new IP" territory although to their credit, Id admit they only chose Quake 2 because they couldn't think of a new name.

And maybe not every single game in a series, or at least not if a particular style or feature still has some time before it wears out its welcome. But frankly, yes, I like the fact that with IW they tried to do something a bit different and fix problems in Deus Ex. I would've been more disappointed if, after innovating so much with Deus Ex, they said "Right, let's just to the same again eh?"
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DaveW wrote: And frankly, that's necessary with a series that's used the same storytelling methods since GTA3

Well they have improved the storytelling each time- GTA3 the protagonist was a mute for starters. But again, I just fear that the new 3 character thing will get in the way of other aspects of the game. Actually I am certain.
DaveW wrote: Now, something like Unreal to Unreal 2 or Quake to Quake 2?
That is "new IP" territory although to their credit, Id admit they only chose Quake 2 because they couldn't think of a new name.

And because they wanted to ride on the popularity of Quake of course.