Some details on GTA V

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Some details on GTA V

Post by bobby 55 »

Oooh, being able to play any one of three characters at anytime is intriguing...also, how Ghost Recon of them. As long as at it proves to be more entertaining than IV I'll consider getting it.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bobby 55 wrote:
Oooh, being able to play any one of three characters at anytime is intriguing....
Bad design decision.... Well I cannot say that for sure but the previous GTA games all had 1 protagonist, except GTA1. I grew attached to those protagonists and their stories, was immersed in them. 3 protagonists means not only the players attention has to be divided between three stories, but the writers too (less depth for each protag.).
Also it will be immersion breaking switching between them (you can switch on the fly), and what of inventory? Will it be shared or three individual ones? What if you get into a bad situation and just go "fuck it i'll just switch to another character"? there better be consequences for that.

Should have just combined the excellent overall design of San Andreas with the focused simulation aspects of IV.
Still, they may just pull it off, IV was dull but they redeemed themselves with RDR, unless they were seperate teams IDK.
bobby 55 wrote:As long as at it proves to be more entertaining than IV I'll consider getting it.
Indeed. Hope they can pull it off, the older GTA's were better in so many ways except that fucking lock-on targeting. 10/10 quality still.
At least San Andreas had optional manual aim although it was poorly implemented, except on the weapons that had manual aim only (hunting rifle, sniper rifle).
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I won't condemn it (the three protagonists thing) until I see how it works, and my understanding from reading the article is that it's totally optional. Sniper ftw. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

As long as it doesn't add to the decline set in by SA and IV, I approve.

If not, meh, I get Saints Row 4, Just Cause 3 or Sleeping Dogs instead :)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I recently replayed GTA3, and I'm still impressed by it. It remains my favourite GTA game by far. I want a return to that, not SA.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Eh, to me San Andreas was the best in the series - although I only played GTA3 on my phone. The environment in SA was huge, the missions were cool, and there was a lot of fun stuff to do. I liked GTA IV but there was a lot less to do aside from the missions.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I second that, Dave.

I bought the GTA bundle on Steam but I found it very difficult to get into GTA3 or Vice City due to the terrible controls. They just don't work very well with a mouse.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah I've played em all since the first, imo they got better each installment up until IV, which was dull. San Andreas was definately the best gameplay-wise.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

GTA 3 Paramedic missions.
Hardest shit in the world, but so good.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I'm partial to vice city, having only briefly touched upon 3, and growing tired of san andreas within the first chapter...I did quite enjoy 4 though.

San Andreas has the most provoking design, but unfortunately that's the problem I have with it. Somehow san andreas scathing criticism is a bit too apparent for me to properly enjoy the game.

3 and 4 are much more lighthearted throughout and are sometimes funny as fuck.

Anyway, Pig:

" 3 protagonists means not only the players attention has to be divided between three stories, but the writers too (less depth for each protag.). "

A: This is rockstar. Their whole thing is dividing the players attention.

B: This is rockstar. Nomatter how broad and big their design, it's _always_ full of depth.

C: Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy), or perhaps Heavy Rain if you've played that (I haven't). These games have multiple protagonists, and they're squarely _better_ and _deeper_ for it.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah i'm probably just fearing dramatic change. We shall see.

Also I want Manhunt 3 :twisted:
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I hope there is a dramatic change. I hope Rockstar try be more creative and try something different. Why is that a bad thing?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It's not. Well it depends. If the gameplay dramatically changes as in GTA IV for example, then no thanks.

Ok so the storytelling will be dramatically different and I am ok with that as long as it does not interfere with other aspects of the game.
Basically I just dont want it to be shit, dramatic changes or no dramatic changes.

Also if it aint broke dont fix it, just build on to (the old formula).
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

If you want the same game again, then play the old GTA's - meanwhile I like the fact Rockstar want to try new things. If you don't like it, feel free to not play it.