Hello friends, can you recommend me some economics books?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hashi
Silhouette

Hello friends, can you recommend me some economics books?

Post by Hashi »

So I have read

Freakonomics
Super Freakonomics
The Ascent of Money
The Birth of Plenty: How the Prosperity of the Modern World was Created
The Company of Strangers

I am buying
Frozen Desires: An Inquiry into the Nature of Money

I am very interested in psychology/sociology and how these aspects of our nature help create money and perpetuate it. I am also interested in why some places experience growth while others don't. Why some are rich, why some are poor, how society remains cohesive

Are there any books anyone can recommend?

Thank you in advance

Regards
Hashi
gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: Hello friends, can you recommend me some economics books

Post by gamer0004 »

Hashi wrote: I am very interested in psychology/sociology and how these aspects of our nature help create money and perpetuate it.
This is not strictly speaking economics, and I can't say I know of books that specifically address this issue. You could try a book on behavioural economics perhaps? However
Hashi wrote: I am also interested in why some places experience growth while others don't. Why some are rich, why some are poor, how society remains cohesive
This is called the "great divergence" debate, and it is mostly held by economic historians (not economists). I can recommend David Landes, the Wealth and Poverty of Nations (although his thesis, based on cultural explanations, is quite clear within the first half of the book, so the rest doesn't add great value), Kenneth Pomeranz, The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy and Robert Allen, The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective. Interesting is also Joel Mokyr, The Enlightened Economy, although I'm not entirely convinced by his thesis.
If you're interested in economics, I can definitely recommend a good microeconomics textbook, like Pindyck & Rubinfeld, Microeconomics. Microeconomic concepts are quite enlightening; while they are rather disconnected from reality, they are very useful in analysing and comprehending all sorts of social and economic problems.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

If you're into extremist books that take written texts which are quite valid, then interpret it in a way which suits their extremist and ridiculous views.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

gamer0004 wrote:
Hashi wrote: I am very interested in psychology/sociology and how these aspects of our nature help create money and perpetuate it.
This is not strictly speaking economics, and I can't say I know of books that specifically address this issue. You could try a book on behavioural economics perhaps? However
Hashi wrote: I am also interested in why some places experience growth while others don't. Why some are rich, why some are poor, how society remains cohesive
This is called the "great divergence" debate, and it is mostly held by economic historians (not economists). I can recommend David Landes, the Wealth and Poverty of Nations (although his thesis, based on cultural explanations, is quite clear within the first half of the book, so the rest doesn't add great value), Kenneth Pomeranz, The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy and Robert Allen, The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective. Interesting is also Joel Mokyr, The Enlightened Economy, although I'm not entirely convinced by his thesis.
If you're interested in economics, I can definitely recommend a good microeconomics textbook, like Pindyck & Rubinfeld, Microeconomics. Microeconomic concepts are quite enlightening; while they are rather disconnected from reality, they are very useful in analysing and comprehending all sorts of social and economic problems.
Thanks for the recommendations, I will look into these books. Your post above mine, is that referring to VectorM's list?

@VectorM, thanks for the links, but I don't like reading online and can't really print those off either lol.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

My post indeed referred to the books suggested by VectorM.

If you want to get to know the Austrian school, just read one of Mises original works, like Human Action: A Treatise on Economics.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Someone I'm currently fascinated by is Al Ghazali - an Persian philosopher and Muslim theologian.
Here's a pdf detailing his thoughts on economy: http://islamiccenter.kau.edu.sa/english ... hazali.pdf
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

gamer0004 wrote:
Most excellent. I have ordered all the books and they shall be arriving soon. Many hours of leetness lie ahead
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I came across this for one of my courses, thought you might be interested: Gift books for econ lovers

Some other popular books on economics (I haven't read any of these, the list is by one of my teachers):

R.H. Frank, The Economic Naturalist
T. Harford, The Logic of Life; The Undercover Economist
D. Hamermesh, Economics Everywhere
A. Sandmo, Economics Evolving

How do you like the books you ordered?
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

gamer0004 wrote:I came across this for one of my courses, thought you might be interested: Gift books for econ lovers

Some other popular books on economics (I haven't read any of these, the list is by one of my teachers):

R.H. Frank, The Economic Naturalist
T. Harford, The Logic of Life; The Undercover Economist
D. Hamermesh, Economics Everywhere
A. Sandmo, Economics Evolving

How do you like the books you ordered?
They took too long to arrive so I am reading Animal Spirits: How human psychology drives the economy, and why it matters for global capitalism in the meantime. This is pretty damn good. But after this I'll probably move on to The Wealth and Poverty of Nations next and then Ill tell you how that goes
googlegirl
Mole Person

Post by googlegirl »

try human action
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

You thought I wouldn't update this thread but here I am!

Frozen Desires: An Inquiry into the Nature of Money
Was quite a boring book and after about 50 pages I stopped.

A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World
Was a very good book, even if it can seem quite cold at times in it's descriptions of how people live and die.

The Great Divergence: China, Europe and the Making of the Modern World Economy
was a good book.

The British Industrial Revolution in Global Perspective
is quite boring for the first 40 pages. Don't know if I'll read it again.

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations: Why Some are so Rich and Some are so Poor
Seems good so far only about 90 pages in.

Thanks for the recommendations!