Dark Souls 2 announced

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Dark Souls 2 announced

Post by Cybernetic pig »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnscHV9n40

Fuck yeah! Last decent Japanese devs making another...

Probably coming to console first :P

ED: the video got taken down, so this article will have to do: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... s3-and-pc/
Kotaku reader wrote: "after seeing the title a ghost ecto-plasm'd all over me!"
I've never heard that one before lol.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Dark Souls 2 announced

Post by Jaedar »

Looks like the dark age ending is canonical.

Will be excited when/if they announce a proper PC version this time.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

"Namco Bandai has confirmed that the game will launch on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC though no hard date has been set".
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

Cool, hopefully they can make an even better PC version this time.

This also just reminded me, I still need to play more of Dark Souls. I was playing it a bit, but then my PC got fixed, so I kind of forgot about it.
Cybernetic pig wrote:Fuck yeah! Last decent Japanese devs making another...
Um yeah ok no they are in no way at all the "Last decent Japanese devs".
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

AgentOrange wrote: Um yeah ok no they are in no way at all the "Last decent Japanese devs".
Yeah, I agree. While Last is technically correct, we usually use "First" in these cases

8)

I'm sure there are other good jap devs.
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

AgentOrange wrote:
Um yeah ok no they are in no way at all the "Last decent Japanese devs".
Are in my eyes. They (Japs) used to dominate the console market worldwide. Now they produce dumbed down trash ('cept Dark Souls) just like nearly everyone else. Probably because microsoft swooped in with Xbox & shitty Halo combo + their dirty business practises and took over. It wasn't long after that that things started going downhill for all of gaming both PC & console.
AgentOrange wrote:While Last is technically correct, we usually use "First" in these cases
Dark Souls aint the first of its kind ya know. As I said the Japs used to dominate the consoles. Plenty of awesome Action RPGs with challenging difficulty waiting for you to discover them.
Go emulate.

Maybe you need a few pointers:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (2D Action-RPG perfection, all it needed was a hard mode, still challenging though :()
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (Great game held back by bonkers plot & characters, but gameplay takes priority)
Devil May Cry 3 (DMC1 has less RPG elements and challenge than 3 but more style and atmosphere, still worth a shot)

All have tons of RPG elements & save points like Dark Souls, no save scumming allowed. You underestimate the Japs.
DMC3 doesnt have as many RPG elements as the other two but solid combat and challenge.

There is also Final Fantasy 6 but thats turn-based and pretty easy until you get about half way through. Still for a SNES catridge it is an amazing masterpiece. Ahead of it's time, Until System Shock 1 came out a year later anyway, which was FAR ahead of its time/competition, all it needed was more RPG elements imo like it's successor, well and its engine has aged badly but it is still totally playable.
Even though SS1 was far more advanced than Doom, I struggle at deciding which one I like better. It's an odd thought.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

So that means they're getting rid of the attributes that players enjoyed in the released games? That's a shame for you guys, but I won't be playing the new version even if it's more...er, "accessible".
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

@Jeadar- Vagrant Story is a pretty hardcore action RPG too. Well its a wierd mix between action and turn based, but it has many similarities to Dark Souls..
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Abandon all hope right now: http://m.computerandvideogames.com/3827 ... teps-aside

:cry:
What if I told you, that Dark Souls was already easier than Demon's Souls?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:
What if I told you, that Dark Souls was already easier than Demon's Souls?
Well then I'd accept that, because that's only your opinion. I've heard some say it's harder, and others say its easier.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Well ok, if that one guy says it, it must be true.

For the record, I do believe demon souls might very well be harder if you go black tendency(which makes the mobs harder), might even be harder otherwise.
odio ergo sum
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

That is THE guy when it comes to Dark Souls, so I think his opinion has way more weight. But even ignoring the comparison with Demon's Souls, it's a simple fact that they decreased the difficulty of the game with subsequent patches. In any case, I don't think the game is as (relatively) popular because of the difficulty. It's a part of it, but it's definitely not the one thing which makes the game, as much as a lot of people would like to believe.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I could probably deal with it being slightly easier. When I hear the word "accessible" it usually translates to "dumbed down gameplay mechanics and level design", and I dont like that kind of thing [-(