Support I.M, an indie sci-fi FPS/RPG

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

Re: Support I.M, an indie sci-fi FPS/RPG

Post by AEmer »

It's harsh, but I've donated to very few kickstarter projects. I've been burned by a lot of people; if I hadn't been to logic artists development studios, or if I didn't know Jonas personally, I wouldn't have supported Conquistador either.

I know, to a degree, I'm part of the problem with the games industry: I give money to big studios, and I don't support independents often.

On the other hand, I have around 50 indie games sitting in my steam account, bought as parts of packages. I'm part of that dough that keeps rolling in for small indie developers once they strike big. For me, right now, that's all I can do.

A game needs much more than an idea. It's a big project, that requires a lot of management and a lot of expertise, and I don't think more than around 1% of the people who want to develop games are actually cut out for it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:I know, to a degree, I'm part of the problem with the games industry: I give money to big studios, and I don't support independents often.
You buy the games you want to play. That's not a problem, it's completely fair - it's your money and it's nobody's business what you spend it on, as long as it's legal. You also apparently buy games you don't necessarily want to play just because you feel like they deserve your support. You're not even remotely part of the problem.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

well...Honestly, if I could deposit half my gaming budget with someone with a really good taste in games and just have him buy only the best indie stuff and support kickstarters, it would be better. Like a gaming fund. I don't have the energy or judgement to do it myself, but that's basically what I think would be ideal, because it would make for more innovative games, and help studios be more concerned about game quality and less about advertising...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AEmer wrote:well...Honestly, if I could deposit half my gaming budget with someone with a really good taste in games and just have him buy only the best indie stuff and support kickstarters, it would be better. Like a gaming fund. I don't have the energy or judgement to do it myself, but that's basically what I think would be ideal, because it would make for more innovative games, and help studios be more concerned about game quality and less about advertising...
As a philanthropic pursuit that'd be great, as a person who likes to get the best out of my entertainment dollar I'd go for the AAA if it looked more appealing. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

well, I game in a particular fashion: I don't necessarily play that insanely many games, but I really like talking about games so...just getting cool weird games made will bring me a lot of indirect entertainment =P
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AEmer wrote:well, I game in a particular fashion: I don't necessarily play that insanely many games, but I really like talking about games so...just getting cool weird games made will bring me a lot of indirect entertainment =P
That's fair enough, and you never can tell you might just be funding a game made by the next big thing in developers.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Looks quite generic and run-of-the-mill. Game doesn't look that great, I think I'll pass.
Cybernetic pig wrote: Dont judge a book by it's cover
But that's usually said by people with shitty covers.