Support I.M, an indie sci-fi FPS/RPG

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Support I.M, an indie sci-fi FPS/RPG

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Q: Who are Zero Point software?

A: "We're a small independent game developer working hard to build the game of our dreams called Interstellar Marines".

Q: Tell me about the game?

A: "INTERSTELLAR MARINES is a high quality FPS in development, set in a realistic and unpredictable future where first contact with another sentient species is slowly becoming reality. The game balance the military realism and cooperative action from tactical shooters with the character development and narrative depth from role playing games".

Q: Cool! Link?

A: http://www.interstellarmarines.com/indie/

The above is just some random FAQ I made up, but the answers are real. The game has been struggling for years now even though it looks very good. Note they claim they are making "The game of our dreams".
Needs support. Vote for it on ModDB/IndieDB for Indie GOTY: http://www.indiedb.com/events/2012-indi ... rds/top100
And whilst you are at it you can vote for New Vision as MOTY!

And..err, give some money to charity too. [-(
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Support I.M, an indie sci-fi FPS/RPG

Post by Jonas »

Too bad the game of their dreams is the world's most generic space marine FPS.

I don't want to be too harsh on Zero Point, especially as they're a fellow Danish game studio, but they don't seem to know what they're doing. As you say, they've been struggling for years, and I have an increasing suspicion it's because they don't know how to run a project, or even how to set achievable goals. Look at the Kickstarter they ran - they were asking for $600,000! That's insane! This for a team of people nobody has ever heard of!

And the game... space marines fighting land sharks? They've done fantastic things with their game feel, I would've never thought you could make an FPS in Unity that feels so good, but I have yet to find a reason to be interested in their game beyond "surprisingly solid core game loop for a Unity FPS".

Ahem. So yeah. Thanks but no thanks :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote:Too bad the game of their dreams is the world's most generic space marine FPS.
Dont judge a book by it's cover...or maybe you know alot about it?
Jonas wrote:As you say, they've been struggling for years, and I have an increasing suspicion it's because they don't know how to run a project, or even how to set achievable goals.
Possibly.
Jonas wrote:I would've never thought you could make an FPS in Unity that feels so good,
Shows they might have more surprises in store, no?
Jonas wrote:
Look at the Kickstarter they ran - they were asking for $600,000! That's insane! This for a team of people nobody has ever heard o
Apparently they have "some of the best talent in the industry" on the team... I havent looked too far into it. I played a demonstration in Unity (that raped my shitty laptop, but I just wanted to see, and it was cool) and have read thier passionate outcries, which made me think this game has potiential.

The shark thing is a bit odd though. Still, it looks more fun than most actual AAA games though, but that is just my opinion, because I strongly dislike Halo, Gears of War and the like.

I think they should at least be given a chance.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I'm with Jonas. I recall playing this and thinking it was good (for Unity), but I'm not sure about a full game. Plus..yeah:
Cybernetic pig wrote:
Jonas wrote: Look at the Kickstarter they ran - they were asking for $600,000! That's insane! This for a team of people nobody has ever heard o
Apparently they have "some of the best talent in the industry" on the team... I havent looked too far into it. I played a demonstration in Unity (that raped my shitty laptop, but I just wanted to see, and it was cool) and have read thier passionate outcries, which made me think this game has potiential.
Usually a claim of "some of the best talent in the industry" never stands up to any scrutiny, and unless you can name said people and have people recognise them - that's not an excuse to ask for a ridiculous amount for a Kickstarter.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I already give enough money to charity. Hasn't this thing been on Kickstarter for fucking ever? Pass.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Dont judge a book by it's cover...or maybe you know alot about it?
When the only part of the book that's finished is the cover, what else do I judge it by? I've played those demos they chucked up as part of their own crowdfunding experiment ages ago, and I was impressed by the game feel. Everything they've revealed about the rest of the game seems particularly bland, so that's what I'm going by.

I hope they succeed. I really do. But they're gonna have to do it without my money :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Fair enough.

Hey how is Conquistador coming along Jonas? I completely forgot about that. You haven't been posting updates about it here either.

Hmnn your Kickstarter was a success, have my late congratulations! Why no updates?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Thanks.

We updated a couple weeks ago and sent out a new beta build to everyone who gave $30 or more: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/212 ... ador/posts

We're also keeping our backers posted fairly regularly over on our own forums, in the hidden Backer's Only forum: http://logicartists.com/forum/
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Lurked through the top ten list thread-
Jonas wrote: What I don't understand about this thread is how some people have lists that don't have Deus Ex at the top.

Not one mention of System Shock 2 on anyones list!

I agree though Deus Ex is top, it's such a shame the AI has much to be desired, and as much as I love "Ghaargh" Death SFX it gets quite annoying when gunnin' people down that is all you hear. Lol.

On the fence whether or not to do a sound expansion mod. Time, money, education(UnrealScript)...it's all too much. Plus other plans. But Deus Ex must be updated further!
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Played this waybackwhen and I actually still received their newsletters up until a couple of months ago. The only thing I liked about it were the rather good looking graphics, I liked the feel of the game and i liked the setting (if rather generic). Everything else was rather meh. I thought it was just Nazi Zombies with robots and never looked back.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:I thought it was just Nazi Zombies with robots and never looked back.
You do realise you were playing a demonstration? A mini-game of sorts. An early build of the game systems? They intend for it to have a campaign & multiplayer too.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Yes and said demonstration completely failed at making me interested in the full version of the game.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Same here. Setting looked cool, shooting worked well, completely lost interest after playing the demo. I had little faith in them making their kickstarter goal and even in them meeting their development goal had they got their $600,000.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Wow, all negative responses. Imagine if Warren Spector never got offered the chance to make "the game of his dreams".
Yeah Deus Ex is/was almost certainly far more innovative, and Spector was a veteran, but I still think they should be given a chance.

Plenty of games look just like ones that came before. The Kickstarter target was insanity though and that doesn't say great things about them, but....but.. :cry:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

They've been given many chances. What they're asking for is not a chance, it's a lot of other people's money. That puts somewhat higher demands on them.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine