So there's been another school shooting in the US

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hashi
Silhouette

So there's been another school shooting in the US

Post by Hashi »

Some crazy shit just went down

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/1 ... ng-27-dead

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/1 ... ooting-cbs

But also this video is a very good one on the subject of how the killers are portrayed in the media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

I don't know how much I want to know about the man who did this. I guess I want to know "why" but maybe it doesn't matter. Sometimes I think the enormity of the tragedy is so great that we should take a moment or two to give pause and reflect on the tragedy. But then we also need to move on and show that the gunmen can't have this kind of effect on us. And you can't be mired in the past, else we would give pause to the columbine massacre too. So yeah don't know what to say or what to take away from this event. I live in Australia so maybe there is someone living in America who has a different perspective?

Besides the enormity of the event that sometimes goes beyond words, don't really know what else to say. What do you guys think?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: So there's been another school shooting in the US

Post by DaveW »

And this will lead to a sensible, level-headed debate between the political parties about gun control in the US.

Just kidding.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

It is a tragedy, indeed, but it's kind of disgusting, that Obama is portrayed as some really concerned emotional man, when he has authorized drones strikes on funerals and rescuers in Pakistan. Drone attacks that are still continuing to this day and are still killing innocents. I don't think it's less of a tragedy when brown people in defenseless countries are killed as well.
And this will lead to a sensible, level-headed debate between the political parties about gun control in the US.

Just kidding.
If by this you mean that the hoplophobes will activate their shoulder chips once again, then I agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293J6VWRl5I
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Terrible news.
VectorM wrote:It is a tragedy, indeed, but it's kind of disgusting, that Obama is portrayed as some really concerned emotional man, when he has authorized drones strikes on funerals and rescuers in Pakistan. Drone attacks that are still continuing to this day and are still killing innocents. I don't think it's less of a tragedy when brown people in defenseless countries are killed as well.
Agreed.

Thats fucking typical, an ad before you can watch the vid.

Advertising [-(
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

AdBlock, Google it.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:AdBlock, Google it.
That's beside the point.

But thanks, I've been meaning to get it.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

VectorM wrote:It is a tragedy, indeed, but it's kind of disgusting, that Obama is portrayed as some really concerned emotional man, when he has authorized drones strikes on funerals and rescuers in Pakistan. Drone attacks that are still continuing to this day and are still killing innocents. I don't think it's less of a tragedy when brown people in defenseless countries are killed as well.
Don't forget that he won a Nobel Peace Prize too! ;)
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

VectorM wrote:If by this you mean that the hoplophobes will activate their shoulder chips once again, then I agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293J6VWRl5I
No, by that I mean that sensible debate on the issue is absolutely impossible in the US because any attempt to control gun access - even simple stuff - is met with a barrage of attacks from Republicans / NRA. Hell, even not doing anything was apparently enough for the NRA to decry Obama for being anti-gun. Even the term Hophlophobe is daft - in fact, I had to Google it, since in the UK a fear of guns is called common sense.

There's a reason gun crime is an almost non-issue in the UK, compared to the US.

Edit: Also, when are the false-flag conspiracy theories going to start growing?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Did they blame video games yet?
DaveW wrote:since in the UK a fear of guns is called common sense.
I think this is the case for the majority of the world.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Did they blame video games yet?
In a hilarious subversion of the cliché, the media attributed the massacre to the wrong guy, who happened to be a fan of Mass Effect 3 on Facebook, causing an invasion of idiots on the Mass Effect 3 website blaming the sci-fi RPG, of all things, for the tragedy and calling for it to be banned and for its creators to be ashamed of themselves. It's an almost impressive charlie foxtrot all told.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I can't tell if you're being serious or not :/
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Jaedar wrote:I can't tell if you're being serious or not :/
No I did see an article where they attempted to blame Mass Effect 3, but were completely wrong.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

All depends on the mentality and upbringing of the individual.

...Stupid individuals within the media :roll:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:I can't tell if you're being serious or not :/
Well that was a thing that happened.

http://mashable.com/2012/12/14/mass-eff ... -shooting/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

DaveW wrote: Even the term Hophlophobe is daft - in fact, I had to Google it, since in the UK a fear of guns is called common sense.
What we call "common sense" is usually completely wrong or irrational, so it sounds about right.
There's a reason gun crime is an almost non-issue in the UK, compared to the US.
And yet, in the real world, where there are countries other than the U.K., gun violence (if I will accept to separate gun violence form just plain homicide) is higher in countries that have just as much, if not more gun control.

Jamaica for example has way stricter gun control than the U.S., is a fucking island, and yet, gun violence is several orders of magnitude higher than in the U.S. And if you look at just plain homicides, fucking North Korea, one of the mot controlled countries in the world, has higher homicide rates than both the U.S. and the U.K. combined.

That and the simple fact, that studies have not found causal relationship between gun ownership and levels of violence. They've actually found higher correlation with car ownership, of all things.