Beautiful, Beautiful Bullshit

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Beautiful, Beautiful Bullshit

Post by Cybernetic pig »

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/09/06/rem ... s-gameplay

Graphics- 10/10

Everthing else 0

Yet more wasted potential & money :roll:

Jonas get out there and put em all to shame!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Beautiful, Beautiful Bullshit

Post by Jonas »

That pilot is a remarkably bad shot.

I dunno though - sure it's not the kind of game I'd make, but it looks pretty cool to me. Hard to tell without knowing what the controls are like, though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Why are you still here? GO! :smile:
Jonas wrote:sure it's not the kind of game I'd make, but it looks pretty cool to me. Hard to tell without knowing what the controls are like, though.

No, the gameplay looks absolutely terrible. You ever played one of the first few Tomb Raiders? For platforming you had to have your guns holstered, Line up your jumps properly, and hold down interact to grab the ledge if successful. Then press up to climb up. Let go of interact you fall, probably to your death. Oh and if your ass is getting shot at they wont be missing much.
Did I mention the non-linear levels, no climbing spots highlighted, Secret areas and the like?

And the combat in that vid looks just like batman. Hamma butten n cool stuff happenz. Whilst they all stand around like a poor action movie waiting for thier ass to get beat down.

And yes, that pilot was a terrible shot, but that is no coincidence.

Game design fail, i'd rather dust off my PS1 and pop in Tomb Raider. Or Duke Nukem T2K which stole TR's platforming mechanics.

I wouldn't mind so much if they were ever actually successful in pulling off those scripted set pieces- The platform she is running on gives way, doesn't slow her down one bit, later on platforms are getting destroyed yet they poof out of existence, and again pilot shit shot, and even later on she is beating down useless pawns whilst the pilot just hovers and watches.

It's almost as pathetic as me wasting my time complaining about it :roll:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:You ever played one of the first few Tomb Raiders? For platforming you had to have your guns holstered, Line up your jumps properly, and hold down interact to grab the ledge if successful. Then press up to climb up. Let go of interact you fall, probably to your death. Oh and if your ass is getting shot at they wont be missing much.
Did I mention the non-linear levels, no climbing spots highlighted, Secret areas and the like?
I mostly remember pretty linear levels intended to be "solved" like puzzles, typically by trial and error resulting in a lot of deaths and replaying of the same areas over and over again because the level designer had decided the path you'd identified wasn't viable. When a level wasn't linear, it tended to be circular so you could run around in loops until you found whatever level you had to pull to open a timed door on the other side of the area.
And the combat in that vid looks just like batman. Hamma butten n cool stuff happenz. Whilst they all stand around like a poor action movie waiting for thier ass to get beat down.
Yeah I really like the combat in the Arkham games. It worked really well in Sleeping Dogs too, and it looks like there's a good amount of special powers to use in this one.
And yes, that pilot was a terrible shot, but that is no coincidence.
...obviously not.

To each their own, eh?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:You ever played one of the first few Tomb Raiders? For platforming you had to have your guns holstered, Line up your jumps properly, and hold down interact to grab the ledge if successful. Then press up to climb up. Let go of interact you fall, probably to your death. Oh and if your ass is getting shot at they wont be missing much.
I mostly remember pretty linear levels intended to be "solved" like puzzles, typically by trial and error resulting in a lot of deaths and replaying of the same areas over and over again because the level designer had decided the path you'd identified wasn't viable. When a level wasn't linear, it tended to be circular so you could run around in loops until you found whatever level you had to pull to open a timed door on the other side of the area.
That is not TR at all :/
All possible platforming paths are identified by 4x4 (or whatever) squares. Lara could jump three squares with a running jump, doesn't take long to figure that out.
Some BS deaths (traps) were included though, yes.
There was a fair amount of linearity, yes that was an overstatement before, but some levels were large & had multiple paths at times + secret areas.

And Batman is a terrible game.

...to each his own.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

I take it you hated Assassin's Creed as well?

Also, you want me to give Interstellar Marines a chance, because I played a simple demo, yet you completely dismiss this game, based on nothing but a trailer?
And Batman is a terrible game.
Well, too bad you will never have the opportunity to make something better (and if you did, you wont).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:I take it you hated Assassin's Creed as well?
Yes.
VectorM wrote: Also, you want me to give Interstellar Marines a chance, because I played a simple demo, yet you completely dismiss this game, based on nothing but a trailer?
Yes.

-Gameplay trailer, which reveals some, heck probably most core mechanics of the game. Looking at it makes me sick.

-I.M has some things that attracted me to it: Inspiration from System Shock 2 & Half-Life. Developers claims of "making the game of our dreams" rather than "Accessible cash-in", And from gameplay I have seen and played, nothing seemed to highlight and hold my hand or playout before me without any/minimum player input.

Well, too bad you will never have the opportunity to make something better (and if you did, you wont).
Opportunity, probably not. But if I was given the opportunity, i'd certainly surprise you.

And go fuck yourself.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Cybernetic pig wrote: And Batman is a terrible game.
I think we can safely say that, based on this statement alone, Cybernetic pig is a little bitvery silly.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

shadowblade34 wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote: And Batman is a terrible game.
I think we can safely say that, based on this statement alone, Cybernetic pig is a little bitvery silly.
I am sorry, but batman is one of the most overrated games of all time. Nearly completely automated gameplay, Infinite see through walls, copy n paste everywhere. Riddler "Challenges" for kids.

Just cos it's Batman dont mean it's good. (i'm a little biased though cos I never liked batman. Punisher and Blade only decent Marvel characters).

Edit: Whoops, I always forget Batman is DC comics. Meh, it's all the same to me. :P
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Oh God Why.
Opportunity, probably not. But if I was given the opportunity, i'd certainly surprise you.
The thing is, game design requires you to be able to look at other games and learn from them. Considering your understanding of the appeal of the Arkham games so far consists of nonsensical things like "copy n paste everywhere" (compared to other games, how?) and "Riddler challenge for kids" then I don't see how you can get anywhere, unless all you plan on doing is copying already established concepts. Which isn't an easy task in itself and requires more than just experience and knowing how to work with UnrealED.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I am getting sick of your bullshit. Do not direct anymore posts at me.
You constantly address me on a personal level, acting as if you know me. Fuck off.

I am allowed to moan about a game if I want. Did I point out the appeal of the Arkham games? No, I didn't. I pointed out the negatives #-o

Oh, I said "Just cos its batman doesn't mean its good", but that was just a shallow statement, obviously the game has good aspects too, no matter how few.

And it is only my opinion on what is good/bad in a game anyway.... even though I am arrogant that my opinion of a good game is superior :roll: .
But that is just a minor trait. You being a complete douchebag is a major trait.

And for the record I am not well aquainted with UnrealEd yet, its just because most of these programs are similar on a basic level.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

ugh the way the it stops, starts, or pauses for a video sequence gives me cancer. It looks good, but if it flowed better (think Crash Bandicoot) it would be a far better game. I hate how the game stops whenever the helicopter shows up, it should be a non event by now and it should flow better. I don't mind the fact it shows where you need to jump to, that's fine. So throw this game in the bin imo
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah, even Crash Bandicoot is a linear thrill ride done better. It requires player input and doesn't have completely laughable set pieces. I will not give this game a chance, bad design (imo) written all over it.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Cybernetic Pig:
Much smarter people than you or I - well, at least much smarter than I, since I don't actually know if you're brilliant and I just can't tell - much smarter people than I have harped on games such as the one you linked.

The trailer showscases the following commonly recognized gripes:
- Platforms which are clearly outlined with little interactive icon thingies, to show that they're viable gameplay targets; you don't have to deciper the image, you just have to look for the yellow icons.
- Seamless switches between cutscenes and gameplay. This has always been pretty terrible, as seamless transitions are usually just as jarring as ones with clear seams.
- Terrible manuscript. The hunted becomes the hunter? What the hell is this? The voiceactors delivery also does not at all convey reasonable emotion.
- Non-general scripted puzzle design. You need to figure out which tools the designer put into this scene to help you out, but the tool in one case - a giant fan - appears to be a one-off and you can only recognize it because of help icons.
- The coolest things happen during cutscenes, and you don't instigate them.
- You generally have no idea what your objective is or where you're going. Rather than trying to get away from the chopper, you generally just follow what has been outlined by the game; there is significant ludo-narrative dissonance because of how limited you are in your options.
- The game attempts to put you in the driver seat of the story, it wants you to feel at one with the focalizer, yet the time-sensitive linear gameplay style does not lend itself to this.

Are you right that it's going to be a crappy game, based on this segment? Fuck if I know. I mean, seriously. These are common gripes. The number of gripes people (correctly) attribute to whatever the latest game by hideo kojima is, is typically monumental, and the gripes are probably reasonable. But games also have issues which are hard to quantify and hard to reason about. You can make a game that noone can reasonable gripe about perfectly easily (tetris, for instance, is one such game), but if the game doesn't strive to do something unique or cool, it'll still be a crappy game; conversely, games with tons of gripes are sometimes considered classics or otherwise impressive feats of design.

Your outright dismissal of the game is probably what bothers people, because everybody here knows that being a pedantic but superficial analyst about games is a terrible way to appreciate whether they're any good. So yeah, I'm not inclined to give this game a chance. I think it looks pants. But I don't _know_ that it's _bullshit_, because that would require a much deeper level of appreciation than I'm willing to give this game.

It might seem like a subtle difference to you, but it's the difference between sounding like an arrogant nitwit, and a cynic that knows how to manage his time. I mean, I'm probably closer to the former of the two options, but that's no reason to sound that way =P

But anyway. Yes. On the surface, this game is very pretty, but also not interesting to me due to the game mechanics.
I fundamentally agree with that.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

AEmer wrote:Cybernetic Pig:
The trailer showscases the following commonly recognized gripes:
- Platforms which are clearly outlined with little interactive icon thingies, to show that they're viable gameplay targets; you don't have to deciper the image, you just have to look for the yellow icons.
- Seamless switches between cutscenes and gameplay. This has always been pretty terrible, as seamless transitions are usually just as jarring as ones with clear seams.
- Terrible manuscript. The hunted becomes the hunter? What the hell is this? The voiceactors delivery also does not at all convey reasonable emotion.
- Non-general scripted puzzle design. You need to figure out which tools the designer put into this scene to help you out, but the tool in one case - a giant fan - appears to be a one-off and you can only recognize it because of help icons.
- The coolest things happen during cutscenes, and you don't instigate them.
- You generally have no idea what your objective is or where you're going. Rather than trying to get away from the chopper, you generally just follow what has been outlined by the game; there is significant ludo-narrative dissonance because of how limited you are in your options.
- The game attempts to put you in the driver seat of the story, it wants you to feel at one with the focalizer, yet the time-sensitive linear gameplay style does not lend itself to this.

Are you right that it's going to be a crappy game, based on this segment? Fuck if I know. I mean, seriously. These are common gripes.
In my opinion, based on this segment, yes.
AEmer wrote: You can make a game that noone can reasonable gripe about perfectly easily (tetris, for instance, is one such game), but if the game doesn't strive to do something unique or cool, it'll still be a crappy game; conversely, games with tons of gripes are sometimes considered classics or otherwise impressive feats of design.
I can agree with this. But based on that segment, the only impressive feat of design is the graphics as previously mentioned.
Maybe it will have one or two innovative features, but innovation is not always good. And like you (as stated in the quotation below) I refuse to give it a chance to find out.
AEmer wrote: Your outright dismissal of the game is probably what bothers people, because everybody here knows that being a pedantic but superficial analyst about games is a terrible way to appreciate whether they're any good. So yeah, I'm not inclined to give this game a chance. I think it looks pants. But I don't _know_ that it's _bullshit_, because that would require a much deeper level of appreciation than I'm willing to give this game.
True, I was being shallow again. You got me. I'll be smarter and rational when I rant next time.
AEmer wrote:But anyway. Yes. On the surface, this game is very pretty, but also not interesting to me due to the game mechanics.
I fundamentally agree with that.
You have good taste.