A play. In which Mud is Flung, and Mothers are Insulted. Funz!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Re: Rumour: Disney Is Closing Warren Spector’s Junction Poin

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

I'm bored of this. I'm going for a Twix.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

YeomanTheCastle wrote:I'm bored of this. I'm going for a Twix.
I see what you did there.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

It's a brilliant comedy. I couldn't resist quoting from it.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:
Except that you whine about it ALL THE FUCKING TIME and berate everyone for daring to have an opinion that is vastly different from yours.
I'm pretty sure I have never berated anyone on this forum for having a different opinion.

And so what if I moan all the time? You provoke people all the time to feed your covert trolling habit. One is acceptable-ish behavior. the other is not.

And all the time? I'm not that bad.

Can we have some civil behavior in this thread, please? I hope Warren Spector doesn't see it :oops: If you are reading this sire, we are usually civil and humane, for a forum anyway.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

But you're not wrong per se, you just have a different opinion. And as we've said there's no problem with thatm as long as you accept that people are going to disagree with you but not want to launch into a tirade explaining why.

Also, moaning all the time is fine..ish..as long as - you guessed it - you don't get argumentative when someone has the audacity to disagree with you. Also, see previous posts on what 'trolling' is. What Vector and I have been doing is disagreeing with you, not trolling you.

And yes, all the time.

Also Yeoman: it is, indeed, a fantastic comedy. Hence why I recognized the quote straight away :).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DaveW wrote:snip
But where have I been arguing with other people over thier different opinions? DDL and I were having a normal debate over the game. I didn't say his opinion sucked or anything?
Yeoman came along- "fucking boring". All I said was meh and that it deserves better than that (which was my opinion).
I don't see why that should cause problems.
DaveW wrote: Consider this analogy; I watch the first few episodes of Lost. You ask me what I think of it a few months later. I say "I didn't like the writing, it felt confused". Your response here is essentially "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SEASONS 1 TO 6 SO YOU CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT THE WRITING"
I don't know about that, it's alot easier to judge a TV show, whereas Fallout is crammed full of writing, 99% of it optional. It's more complex than that.

And 3 hours? C'mon man. That is nowhere near enough time to judge the writing, especially since most of that time was probably sitting in the Docs house setting up your character (where the writing was overshadowed by the gameplay of course), then running around doing the training section (once again, gameplay prioritised over writing- teaching the player the game mechanics).

You have given a lot of opinions on the game with only 3 hours playtime? I expected better from you tbh.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well, I've apparently played 49 hours of NV, but that's steamtime, so if we discount "alt-tab, go do stuff, come back and continue" time, it's probably more like 15 hours or so, and I can't say any of the writing has thus far really stood out (for me). It could be because the convo interface is a bit crappy? It's not the kind of interaction-medium that lends itself to lots of writing (as opposed to, say, PS:T, where they dump a fuckton of text on you in one go).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote: It could be because the convo interface is a bit crappy?.
But what has that to do with the writing itself? :?

Also what mods are you using? Make me jealous.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

I'm all out of Twixes.
Cybernetic pig wrote:But where have I been arguing with other people over thier different opinions? DDL and I were having a normal debate over the game. I didn't say his opinion sucked or anything?
Yeoman came along- "fucking boring". All I said was meh and that it deserves better than that (which was my opinion).
I don't see why that should cause problems.
The problem is, you're stating that it deserves better than what my opinion offers. You've basically shat on my opinion. What you've said here is "in my opinion your opinion sucks balls". Honestly, I'm not too fussed about that, but what really bothers me is that you refuse to accept that. Why? If you can just realise that for just a second, you will see your errors.
Cybernetic Pig wrote:And 3 hours? C'mon man. That is nowhere near enough time to judge the writing, especially since most of that time was probably sitting in the Docs house setting up your character (where the writing was overshadowed by the gameplay of course), then running around doing the training section (once again, gameplay prioritised over writing- teaching the player the game mechanics).
3 hours is more than enough for any game. Playing more than that just to have a slightly better idea of what he thinks of the game is unnecessary.

Besides, why do you care so much about what other people think? Why does people not liking the things you like keep you awake at night? If you enjoy the game, great! Go and enjoy it! Don't waste your time trying to shove your opinions down our throats.
Cybernetic Pig wrote:You have given a lot of opinions on the game with only 3 hours playtime? I expected better from you tbh.
This sentence, particularly the part in bold, smacks of all the wrong things and rubs me the wrong way.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Cybernetic pig wrote:You have given a lot of opinions on the game with only 3 hours playtime? I expected better from you tbh.
No I haven't, I've just said that I didn't find it any different to Fallout 3 in any respect. I've never said it was bad, just that I didn't think it was better - and after 3 hours, that's a pretty fair estimate to make.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

I'm pretty sure I have never berated anyone on this forum for having a different opinion.
Next post:
You have given a lot of opinions on the game with only 3 hours playtime? I expected better from you tbh.
"I don't find your opinion to be acceptable; This is not good enough" That is basically what you just said and this is EXACTLY what I am talking about. You can't say that you accept people's opinions, but then critisize them for having them. If you seriously don't understand the problem yet, then I think you are jsut plain delusional at this point (opinion, la-la-la-la-la).
Can we have some civil behavior in this thread, please? I hope Warren Spector doesn't see it If you are reading this sire, we are usually civil and humane, for a forum anyway.
Are you bloody serious? :shock:
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

you refuse to accept that.
I do?
3 hours is more than enough for any game.

It really is not in the case of games like FO:NV and Deus Ex.
Besides, why do you care so much about what other people think?

Because I am human. I dunno, we were just having a discussion about the game. You must have tried to convince someone to play a game at some point? You want them to play it and have fun, and then you want them to have a discussion about it with you afterwards. Odd but natural human behavior?
This sentence, particularly the part in bold, smacks of all the wrong things and rubs me the wrong way.
But I did expect better from him, he is usually quite smart and open minded, when he is not pissing me off.
VectorM wrote: "I don't find your opinion to be acceptable; This is not good enough" That is basically what you just said and this is EXACTLY what I am talking about. You can't say that you accept people's opinions, but then critisize them for having them. If you seriously don't understand the problem yet, then I think you are jsut plain delusional at this point (opinion, la-la-la-la-la).
His opinion was not acceptable though. He stated it did not do anything new, it had writing that matched FO3, and others.

How could he possibly know?

Chill Vector, you are a tough character to chalk up :-k
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Cybernetic pig wrote: But I did expect better from him, he is usually quite smart and open minded, when he is not pissing me off.
And you keep fucking doing EXACTLY THE SAME SHIT and then act oblivious when we call you out on it. You just implied that his opinion is stupid and close minded, RIGHT AFTER YOU CLAIMED NOT TO HAVE BERATED ANYONE about their opinions. How in the Blue Hell can you be so OBVIOUSLY hypocritical and NOT realize it?
Odd but natural human behavior?
So is theft, murder, deception, blackmail and manipulation. Doesn't justify them.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote: And you keep fucking doing EXACTLY THE SAME SHIT and then act oblivious when we call you out on it. You just implied that his opinion is stupid and close minded, RIGHT AFTER YOU CLAIMED NOT TO HAVE BERATED ANYONE about their opinions. How in the Blue Hell can you be so OBVIOUSLY hypocritical and NOT realize it?
Because his opinion is this case deserved berating. It wasn't because his opinion was different to mine (which is in the context of what you are nagging me for), it was because it was stated as fact whilst holding little weight.

Now stop.
VectorM wrote: So is theft, murder, deception, blackmail and manipulation. Doesn't justify them.
Huh? Wanting other people to experience something you enjoy needs justifying now?
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Cybernetic pig wrote: I do?
You absolutely do.
It really is not in the case of games like FO:NV and Deus Ex.
Yes, it is. It's 3 hours. That's a long ass time in my opinion.

Oh wait. I shouldn't say that. You might dismiss it!
Because I am human. I dunno, we were just having a discussion about the game.
Being human has nothing to do with it. I still am human, if someone didn't like something that I liked, I honestly couldn't give a shit. I have loads of friends who do not like Queens of the Stone Age, yet here I am, still being friends with them, and not giving a shit. That's something you need to do sometimes, stop giving a fuck. It will save you, me, and a lot of other people, headaches.
You must have tried to convince someone to play a game at some point? You want them to play it and have fun, and then you want them to have a discussion about it with you afterwards. Odd but natural human behavior?
I like to introduce people to new things, but if they don't want to, they don't want to. Tough shit, and who am I to force them into doing something they don't want to do? If you're forced into doing something, chances are higher than Charlie fucking Sheen on a Friday night that you're not going to enjoy it.
But I did expect better from him, he is usually quite smart and open minded, when he is not pissing me off.
aghidunno