How's Life?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: How's Life?

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Ha! Has there ever been a forum play ever, anywhere on any forum?

How would it work, perhaps a script is written, characters are given to forum members, then said forum members video record themselves acting their part out and then post it at the correct moment?

You wouldn't ever find me participating in that case. But it may be interesting to watch.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

AEmer wrote:Just helped out at my grandmothers funeral. Sad times. Also, I appear to be in the midst of a personal depression.
Sucks man. My condolences.
AEmer wrote: On the plus side, I have a new graphics card.
Light at the end of the tunnel!
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Life is not so bad for me, been quite busy so not on here much as I was. Started a business course last month and finishing that by the end of this month as I am trying to start my own business (website design, graphic design and a lot of other stuff), which I didn't realize the amount I had to do, just to start it.
Ha! Has there ever been a forum play ever, anywhere on any forum?

How would it work, perhaps a script is written, characters are given to forum members, then said forum members video record themselves acting their part out and then post it at the correct moment?

You wouldn't ever find me participating in that case. But it may be interesting to watch.
I remember on one forum (forget which one) there was a thread where it started as someone wrote the beginning of a story, the first line and the next person wrote the next and so on, until there was a long story being written. Probably the closest I have seen to a forum play.

Would TNM count as a forum play at all? I know its not on an actual forum, but it was set on a forum(planet) and it was scripted and acted out by many of the people on this forum and the old DXEditing forum. :lol:
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Morpheus wrote: Would TNM count as a forum play at all? I know its not on an actual forum, but it was set on a forum(planet) and it was scripted and acted out by many of the people on this forum and the old DXEditing forum. :lol:
Wow, I never considered that :)
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Morpheus wrote:Would TNM count as a forum play at all? I know its not on an actual forum, but it was set on a forum(planet) and it was scripted and acted out by many of the people on this forum and the old DXEditing forum. :lol:
Is it?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Can't complain (although I do) about my personal situation - living with my parents right now but I technically have enough money to buy a house, and I'm looking at buying a new car. Despite my job being very well paid for what little work I have to do, I desperately want to move positions but I'm not qualified for them because I only have a media degree; I'm already massively under-qualified for my current job.

Also, my personal motivation and what little creativity I have is in the ground so I'm struggling to get anywhere on my game project.
AEmer wrote:On the plus side, I have a new graphics card.
Graphics cards make everything better.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Despite my job being very well paid for what little work I have to do, I desperately want to move positions but I'm not qualified for them because I only have a media degree; I'm already massively under-qualified for my current job.
Stay right where you are! Little work you have to do? Very Well Paid? Sounds like a dream job to me.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Cybernetic pig wrote: You wouldn't ever find me participating in that case. But it may be interesting to watch.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stay right where you are! Little work you have to do? Very Well Paid? Sounds like a dream job to me.
Get a government job.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What do you find funny?
Get a government job.
:lol:
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

So a forum play is a story started and written by forum members?

I did that back on DXE a decade ago. Myself, Ninja and Darkwolf contributed heavily to it even! We set it up to where it took place in a Deus Ex type universe with MJ-12 and everything but with our own characters as the "stars." We didn't keep it in strict guidelines such as we can only contribute a sentence or two per post but it still ended up being awesome.

Sounds like everyone's lives is a decent mix of positive and negative! Seems rather... normal, really.

To expand a little on mine: my sister is getting married in three weeks. I plan on moving to a place called St. Petersburg which is not too far away from Tampa where I presently live. Just drive across a bridge and you will be there, really. I'm excited because it is actually going to be the first time I live somewhere by myself! See in the past I've lived with my parents, then girlfriends, roommates but never really just me on my own. Hells yeah bachelor life!? Also, I've decided to go back to school because when you are met with a brick wall in life the only thing you can do is dust off ya britches and walk around it!
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ZeroPresence wrote:So,

How are things with everyone here? I like you guys. :P
Pretty much bleh, personally. Trying to find more profitable things than what I'm doing now, and kinda pressured on the stuff I like to do. For instance, only being able to test the two loaders on Windows XP and not knowing if UAC or DEP or any other problems are cropping up or if I am fixing them or not (especially that 2nd one since I want to release source of that one). Then not having much mental energy past what I got to do to really wrap my mind around all the DX dev stuff so I can get done what I got mind to do.

Time and energy always gets sucked into work and that's life, but it really does suck when you can't follow out all the small things you really want to do. I know it sounds like bitching, but I really needed to unload that somewhere, especially since this group understands why someone would want to do crap for a 12 year old game.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Well, TNM pretty much started as a mad idea Trestkon had for a forum play. He wanted to one-up (I presume) Alpha Operator and Kunio-Kun and several others who had taken to doing various kinds of Forum Fanworks.

Kunio did chibi drawings of the avatars of Forum Members, whereas Alpha did witty chariacature stories of the forum members all living together in a big-brother-like situation. Trojan Soldier, as I recall, tried his hand at some drama, and so did Alpha eventually, though he wasn't much good at that.

So, rather than simply write something, Trestkon wanted to do a playable map that may be explored. It quickly became apparent that it was a bit big for one guy to do, and people thought the idea was awesome so they wanted to help, and the rest is history. So yeah, I'd say there is such a thing as a forum play :-)
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

ggrotz wrote: I know it sounds like bitching, but I really needed to unload that somewhere, especially since this group understands why someone would want to do crap for a 12 year old game.
Aww, you caught my secret reasoning behind this thread! I think it does help a little to unload and we all are indeed pretty like minded. I admit I was a little selfish and wanted to eventually let loose my own personal dogs of war but in comparison to you guys... I don't wanna bring down the party that much!

Believe me I still feel like I want to open UEd and knock around a few brushes every now and then but like you said other stuff gets in the way and takes priority. Oh to be a high schooler with all the time in the world again...
Novaci
Thug

Post by Novaci »

ZeroPresence wrote:Oh to be a high schooler with all the time in the world again...
As a high-schooler with all the time in the world, teach me to make stuff! Seriously though, you've just made me jealous cause I'm in high school (I think, we don't call them high schools over here) and I can't make anything with any tools :(
I'm Novaci/Daniel, teenager, lazy, professional Necromancer.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

But you have time to learn. So quit yer whining and download Unity.

Here, I made this with Unity.
http://rooc.offtopicproductions.com/stu ... indows.rar
Mostly by myself. In a week.

Go on.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine