Deus Ex homebrew RPG

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Deus Ex homebrew RPG

Post by Jonas »

Well IIRC there's headshot multiplier, unaware multiplier, possibly a weapon skill multiplier... I think DDL once did the math and figured out the most damage you could deal with a certain melee weapon was 1600 in one hit, which is fairly insane. I think you'd be best off just inventing your own damage system.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

There's no multiplier for an enemy being unaware, just from hitting them at point-blank range from behind. Oddly enough, you get a 10x multiplier for that, or a 4x multiplier if they're stunned (prod, gas, etc.), yet the stun bonus is checked first, so hitting someone from behind does more damage if they're not stunned.

But yeah, let's see what the biggest DTS damage is that you can do. Each hit does 20 base damage. Level 4 Combat Strength gives you a multiplier of 2.0. Add the combined effect from Master low-tech weapon skill and the level 4 targeting aug (Yes, in vanilla and DX2.0 this affects the damage of weapons, including hand-to-hand ones) and the multiplier is now 3.4. 3.4 * 20 = 68. That's how much damage the ScriptedPawn takes. This is multiplied by 10 for the point-blank from-behind bonus, so we're up to 680. A headshot multiplies this by 8, so now we're up to 5440 damage. However, each nanosword swing does five hits, so really it's five times that, or 21,760 damage.

Someone please tell me if my math is wrong.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Doesn't all the multipliers only multiply the base damage, not the combined?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I went through the process and it's as described. There are a few multipliers involved in different places.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

O_o. The numbers are just INSANE.

I'm going to simplify it, probably keeping some form of the unaware multiplier and headshot multiplier. Probably will be x3 and x2 each.

The real question is, should 1 damage equal 1% health? Or maybe 1 dmg = 5% health? 1 dmg = 10%? 1 dmg = 20%?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

They're just numbers. They're arbitrary. It doesn't matter how much "1 damage" is, just how much the values compare to each other.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Zireael wrote:The real question is, should 1 damage equal 1% health? Or maybe 1 dmg = 5% health? 1 dmg = 10%? 1 dmg = 20%?
To be honest if you want to recreate the feel of Deus Ex rather than its math, you'd probably be better off focusing on the locational damage aspect. If you can come up with a solid stealth system so players will very rarely actually get shot, you can go by Realistic difficulty and just say damage depends on where the player gets shot, and one shot to the head is instantly fatal. Maybe the player can take 2-3 shots to the torso, and if they get shot in any limb, that limb will be disabled until the wound is taken care of (meaning less accuracy if you get shot in the arm, or maybe even not being able to shoot if both your arms are severely wounded).

That's how I'd do it anyway. It'd be pretty cool to play an RPG where encounters are more like stealth puzzles than number wars.

[Edit] And by "instantly fatal" I mean it would put you out of commission and possibly kill you if you don't get to a hospital soon. Losing a character in a tabletop RPG fucking sucks :P

Also you can let the players use ballistic armour and combat helmets and such to survive the first few shots they take in the event they mess up, and of course augs like Ballistic Shield would even further increase the players' survivability in combat.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Locational damage *is* in. The 100% I'm asking about is the 100% of a particular body part.
So I gather you're leaning towards the 1 dmg = 20% health end of the spectrum, Jonas?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

The player has 100 hitpoints in every location.

Head and torso hits do double damage. Hits to limbs already dead damage the other limb, or failing that, the torso (and don't do double damage).

If healthhead or healthtorso ever drop to 0, you're dead, but the others can all drop to nothing.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Thanks, DDL. Simply doubling the head and torso hits is doable.

Augs are up. I need some input regarding the timeline.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Returning to this project now that I got my hands on a copy of DX HR.