Deus Ex homebrew RPG

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Zireael
NSF

Deus Ex homebrew RPG

Post by Zireael »

I'm working on a pen and paper homebrew RPG based on Deus Ex.

What I have already done can be found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270235

Any comments?
fantsu
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex homebrew RPG

Post by fantsu »

I did one too few years ago.
The rules were based on CP2020, but were heavily modded. Really heavy.

Interesting still, will check it out later, when I have time.
:D
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/01/18/ ... nkey-punk/

Have a look at spoonys thoughts on cyberpunk. It's pretty cool.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

I know about CDP's game and about Cyberpunk 2020. I can't use the latter since: 1) I don't have it 2) I want it to be standalone
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Zireael wrote:Removed all mentions of UFO since the Greys were counter-climactic, both in power and appearance
Sorry if this is irrelevant now, plus I haven't read the whole thing, but just so you know: the greys weren't actual aliens, it's strongly hinted in some text file somewhere in the game that they were genetically modified organisms like the Karkians or the Greasels who were engineered by MJ12 as a way to mislead and distract any conspiracy theorists that were getting too close to the truth, and to destroy their credibility with the public. They were a smokescreen, basically. I always thought that was one of the better subversions in the game, so I think it's a shame to ditch it :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

LOL, Jonas, i got that info from Chris the Cynic in TNM :D

What happened to that guy, anyway?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

CTC dropped in a while back to say things haven't exactly been going great for him, but that he still thinks of us. I hope things are improving Chris.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

I got the Greys = human + UFO mix memo from TNM, too. But still, I don't like the UFO. Nor the Greys.

I've added a lot of stuff since I first posted. Oh, BTW, what is the top damage you can be dealt in Deus Ex? I always thought 100% health equals 100 damage, but obviously, this is not the case. Help?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I seem to recall that there was absolutely zero alien in the greys. Indeed, zero alien in deus ex.

I thought they were genetically derived from, like..cows. They just made them look like the aliens all the conspiracy theorists wanted to be real so that they could troll the conspiracy theorists, basically.

Hang on, I can probably dig it out of deusextext..
We're still trying to resurrect all the information from the old Dreamland data wells, but we have managed to extract a complete genetic sequence from the old bovine experiments that have given us two viable test subjects. They've been isolated in a radioactive field downstairs...
Suggests "old experiment done for lols using cows, we managed to restart it".

Ooh, also
I'd like to investigate the possibility of resurrecting the bovine manipulation project (MJID-9803HU8932), with an eye towards recreating the "Gray" lifeform -- while the project was deemed a failure at the time, it _was_ successful as a propaganda tactic in diverting attention away from actual Dreamland research. With recent advances in genetic science, the Gray lifeform could be engineered to protect MJ12 facilities while also serving as a useful bit of meme indirection.
That kinda nails it, really.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Wasn't the whole concept of Deus Ex "hey, let's combine literally every single conspiracy theory out there - with the exception of aliens"?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

DDL wrote:I seem to recall that there was absolutely zero alien in the greys. Indeed, zero alien in deus ex.

I thought they were genetically derived from, like..cows. They just made them look like the aliens all the conspiracy theorists wanted to be real so that they could troll the conspiracy theorists, basically.

Hang on, I can probably dig it out of deusextext..
We're still trying to resurrect all the information from the old Dreamland data wells, but we have managed to extract a complete genetic sequence from the old bovine experiments that have given us two viable test subjects. They've been isolated in a radioactive field downstairs...
Suggests "old experiment done for lols using cows, we managed to restart it".

Ooh, also
I'd like to investigate the possibility of resurrecting the bovine manipulation project (MJID-9803HU8932), with an eye towards recreating the "Gray" lifeform -- while the project was deemed a failure at the time, it _was_ successful as a propaganda tactic in diverting attention away from actual Dreamland research. With recent advances in genetic science, the Gray lifeform could be engineered to protect MJ12 facilities while also serving as a useful bit of meme indirection.
That kinda nails it, really.
Yeah... although Deus Ex being what it is, you can't necessarily trust all the in-game text, because some of it is (at least seemingly) contradictory in parts, like the stuff about JC's childhood versus his engineering.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

gamer0004 wrote:Wasn't the whole concept of Deus Ex "hey, let's combine literally every single conspiracy theory out there - with the exception of aliens"?
There were plenty of conspiracy theories that DX didn't incorporate, but I think the really interesting part is the ones they subverted, like the part about the Greys :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

I added the timeline from Deus Ex Wikia and I want to expand on it, since it's still pretty much US-focused.

Also, I need the answer to this question:
what is the top damage you can be dealt in Deus Ex? I always thought 100% health equals 100 damage, but obviously, this is not the case. Help?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Damage in Deus Ex is complicated. Damage to body parts has a tendency to get multiplied by some factor or another, and explosion damage in particular is applied in a multi-step process that doesn't make it incredibly straightforward to figure out what the maximum damage is. Because of that, it's kind of hard to say.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

G-Flex wrote:Damage in Deus Ex is complicated. Damage to body parts has a tendency to get multiplied by some factor or another, and explosion damage in particular is applied in a multi-step process that doesn't make it incredibly straightforward to figure out what the maximum damage is. Because of that, it's kind of hard to say.
Okay, so what do you think of making total damage 100 for simplicity's sake - 1 damage equals 1 percent. What multiplier would all the weapons need for it to work?