Warren Spector farts hot air out of his mouth

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Warren Spector farts hot air out of his mouth

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Everything is getting cash-whored more than ever it seems, and it will have a continuous effect on future generations.
I am not allowed to reply properly or I will get banned :D But underlined some words in the quote above.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Everything is getting cash-whored more than ever it seems, and it will have a continuous effect on future generations.
I am not allowed to reply properly or I will get banned :D But underlined some words in the quote above.
Aaaaaand that statement is still, at the very least, hilariously ignorant, because I seriously doubt that you've ever read a book on economic history. And If we are to just look at games, then you are still wrong. On average, video games cost LESS today than they did in the 90's and 80's. Nintendo 64 games would cost as high as 80$ in some cases. Today, unless you are preordering a special edition with bonuses, the prices is almost never more than 60$ and if we adjust for inflation, then a modern game would need to cost 89$ to match a 60$ price tag in 1995.

Now factor in the availability of used games and digital distribution deals and it becomes even cheaper.

And when you think about how much development costs have risen, it's pretty incredible that they still charge you only 60$ for games today. But then people keep bitching about "greed" (because YOU are totally not greedy when you keep wanting cheaper shit, right?), when in reality, any modern game would need to sell you a couple of DLC packs to even match the retail price of a 1995 game.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Jonas wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:Everything is getting cash-whored more than ever it seems, and it will have a continuous effect on future generations.
Wait, how old are you?

Everything has always been getting "cash-whored". Pretty much since the invention of currency.
But there's quite a degradation these days. I mean some people would do anything for a buck.

I'll always remember that TV guy who was in a van, gate open, a few bucks in his hand and shouting to pedestrians something like:

"I you want it then run for it" (pathetic)

During the Renaissance societies were centered around The Human Being! Today's society is centered around currency!

It pains me to admit this but I'm with Cybernetic pig on this one. (Gawd I feel dirty!) :mrgreen:
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

CrocMagnum wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:Everything is getting cash-whored more than ever it seems, and it will have a continuous effect on future generations.
It pains me to admit this but I'm with Cybernetic pig on this one. (Gawd I feel dirty!) :mrgreen:
Second time you have made a sly comment now. Yes, you are dirty. A dirty Frenchman :mrgreen:
VectorM wrote:
And when you think about how much development costs have risen, it's pretty incredible that they still charge you only 60$ for games today. But then people keep bitching about "greed" (because YOU are totally not greedy when you keep wanting cheaper shit, right?), when in reality, any modern game would need to sell you a couple of DLC packs to even match the retail price of a 1995 game.
Completely missed the point AGAIN. :roll: Where did I say anything about the price of games? By cash-whored I meant designed entirely to maximize profits in most cases, no matter how low they have to go. Perhaps a bad choice of wording, as cash-whored is either a neologism or slang....I probably just made it up on the spot, i'm not entirely sure, but CrocMagnum got it (kind of) ;)

I'm done with this topic, but I thought i'd clarify that for you.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Second time you have made a sly comment now. Yes, you are dirty. A dirty Frenchman :mrgreen:
Sounds like geography is not your forte either! sly comment n°3

Brussels is the capital of Belgium. A country right next to France, but not the same. The land of Jean-Claude Van Damme! Behave or else I'll have to Bloodsportyou in front of everybody. :mrgreen:

EDIT: My Pleasure! =D
Last edited by CrocMagnum on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

You son of a bitch! :oops: I should have checked that. And yes, I fail at geography.

Also, i'll BloodSport II you! Jean-Claude is an overrated martial artist, although Kickboxer and Bloodsport are ok.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

CrocMagnum wrote:During the Renaissance societies were centered around The Human Being! Today's society is centered around currency!
Are you kidding? During the rennaissance, societies were centered around indentured servitude, where people were permanently tied to their place of birth and forced to work insane hours for land owners just to sustain themselves and their families. During the rennaissance art was something that happened because of rich and powerful patrons who funded artists to essentially work for them, and the idea of art as anything other than a craft would be considered quaint and fantastical by those who practiced it back then.

The commercial needs of art and entertainment have always been a factor, and in fact I'd say they've only lessened over time - and I see no evidence that commercial motives are more present now than they were 10, 20, or 30 years ago. More people are able to make money doing videogames now than was the case back then, but the people who can live off of game development now are if anything only more likely to do it for their own amusement and creative fulfilment than for commercial interests. Independent game development as a concept has only really come into being over the past ten years, and that part of the industry is doing better than ever right now.

And CP, arguing against me, or any other mod here, will not get you banned. Pulling the "oh no I can't argue against you, you'll just ban me!" card will only make you look like an asshat to a community that I bet can't even remember the last time somebody was banned from here (it was ZylonBane, he was banned years ago after an extended - we're talking months-long - campaign of direct personal attacks on pretty much every other user of this board. You're tremendously annoying a lot of the time, but you're nowhere near as big a bastard as ZylonBane was being. He was unbanned not long after, but he's never returned).
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote:
CrocMagnum wrote:During the Renaissance societies were centered around The Human Being! Today's society is centered around currency!
And CP, arguing against me, or any other mod here, will not get you banned. Pulling the "oh no I can't argue against you, you'll just ban me!" card will only make you look like an asshat to a community that I bet can't even remember the last time somebody was banned from here (it was ZylonBane, he was banned years ago after an extended - we're talking months-long - campaign of direct personal attacks on pretty much every other user of this board. You're tremendously annoying a lot of the time, but you're nowhere near as big a bastard as ZylonBane was being. He was unbanned not long after, but he's never returned).
So I can say go fuck yourself with no consequence then? Good. Go fuck yourself, you bastard.

I wasn't pulling any cards. I vowed to stop moaning, and said if I do then to ban me, as a joke. :roll:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:So I can say go fuck yourself with no consequence then? Good. Go fuck yourself, you bastard.

I wasn't pulling any cards. I vowed to stop moaning, and said if I do then to ban me, as a joke. :roll:
Hahahahahah! All right, you win.

I'm banning you for a week.

See you later.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

:roll: You offended me, I returned ball= ban?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Replying now would be a bit like kicking a man who's already lying down, so I'll let the "offending" parts speak for themselves and leave on-lookers to pass their own judgment:
Jonas wrote:You're tremendously annoying a lot of the time
Cybernetic pig wrote:Go fuck yourself, you bastard.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yours was a personal attack, mine was just a general offensive/defensive rage reaction post with no actual credibility behind the words.

Never mind. Go ahead... suppose I deserved it for my behavior last week or whenever it was.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Completely missed the point AGAIN. Where did I say anything about the price of games? By cash-whored I meant designed entirely to maximize profits in most cases, no matter how low they have to go
Right, so you are delusional, instead of just unimformed, sounds about right.

Not only can you not back up that statement, it doesnt make sense with the simple fact, that overall, games are cheaper. Why don't games cost 80$, CP? I thought they just wanted t3h m0neyz more than ever! Also, what Jonas said.
Last edited by VectorM on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:
Completely missed the point AGAIN. Where did I say anything about the price of games? By cash-whored I meant designed entirely to maximize profits in most cases, no matter how low they have to go
Right, so you are delusional, instead of jsut unimformed, soudns about right.

Not only can you not back up that statement, it doesnt make sense with the simple fact, that overall games are cheaper. Why don't games cost 80$, CP? I thought they just wanted t3h m0neyz more than ever!
Because it doesn't work like that. You cannot just suddenly raise the price of games by 1/4, pirating would be rampant, many customers would be lost. Many people complain about the cost of gaming as it is.

You can end your vendetta against me now Vector. You got me more and more worked up over time, congratulations. :roll:
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
VectorM wrote:
Right, so you are delusional, instead of jsut unimformed, soudns about right.

Not only can you not back up that statement, it doesnt make sense with the simple fact, that overall games are cheaper. Why don't games cost 80$, CP? I thought they just wanted t3h m0neyz more than ever!
Because it doesn't work like that. You cannot just suddenly double the price of games, pirating would be rampant, many customers would be lost. Many people complain about the cost of gaming as it is.

You can end your vendetta against me now Vector. You got me more and more worked up over time, congratulations. :roll:
How the hell can you consider 80$ (a price tag that was COMMON 15-20 years ago) to be "double the price"? You can't even do basic math now? And again, I thought developers were just looking to make a buck, not matter how low they went, yet they can't increas the price with even 10$, let alone 20$?

And again, on what do you base yor assertion, that developers cared LESS about money than they did in the 90s?

Edit: LOL, nice edit, did you have to use google calculator for that? :D
Last edited by VectorM on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.