We should LOL @ this "no government" and "living free" guy's

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

neuDialect
Thug

Re: We should LOL @ this "no government" and "living free" g

Post by neuDialect »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Wait, why this?

Code: Select all

i = i + myName.length;
Wouldn't giving i the value of myName.length defeat the purpose of this lesson? I'm confused.

Also, in the if statement, within the parenthesis there is . Why is in square brackets and not:

if (text (i)==="C"){
code code code;
}
I gave it square brackets but I have no idea why, cannot remember, yet the code still works....
In my lessons so far I have only been taught one use of square brackets: to hold the parameters of an array.
Okay, so the first thing is that I'm cheating a little bit there, since all I've done is just fixed your code. If you wanted to do proper pattern matching than you would need something like this:

var randomtext = "asdfajfilCyberPahskjdfbaiusd";
var name = "CyberP";
var result = [];

for (i = 0; i < randomtext.length;i++) {
    for (j = 0; j < name.length; j++) {
         if (!(randomtext[i+j]=== name[j])) {
               j = name.length;                                              // Exits the loop if we get a mismatch
         }
         if (j===(name.length-1)) {                                       // We looped through all of name successfully
               result.push(name);
         }
    }
}
Note that this is still an extremely inefficient way to do it. But the efficient ways aren't exactly easy to understand (lookup KMP and BMH on wikipedia if you want to).

What the A[N] operator does is that is that is accesses Nth element of array A. And strings are arrays of characters (in some languages anyway).

Also, the reason I gave the value of name.length to i in the previous code is because I assumed that the pattern is not recursive. Basically what I was doing is that I loop (sometimes this is called to "iterate over", for reasons I won't go into) through all the characters in your source, and if one it finds matches the start of the name string it copies the next 'name.length' characters into the array of results, then skips ahead by N.
The first code I gave you does exactly that and works perfectly fine for your problem, in a way. The obvious issue is that it won't work if you have a mismatch after the first letter.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Got another: This code printed both "do" & "true". How is this possible? It should only print "do".

var go=(100)

var learn = function(){
  do{console.log ("do");
  go=20;
    }  while(go>50){
 console.log ("true");
      }
};

learn();
do should have printed "do" and set var go to 20 before anything else here. While should have only printed "true" whilst go is greater than 50.
do code executes once before the learn() function is called.

What is the error here?

Also just noticed my codingGenie function from before had incorrect syntax :lol:
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Never mind, I wasn't understanding do while properly.