The legacy of Deus Ex, 15 years later

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hashi
Silhouette

The legacy of Deus Ex, 15 years later

Post by Hashi »

Yo, in case for some reason you haven't 'liked' the Dues Ex page on Facebook, this is a link they posted:

http://au.ign.com/videos/2015/06/26/dx1 ... of-deus-ex

Pretty cool interview. Would have been better if it was longer. I lol'd at the bit where Warren Specter said he knew the game would be a cult hit. I guess you gotta have confidence in your product.

Would have been really good if they had mentioned the mods still being made all these years later. That's why a longer interview would have been cool. And to give a shoutout to OTP.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: The legacy of Deus Ex, 15 years later

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I really don't think WS gives a crap about our work, and is a little embarrassed of his own. He has been going on about a Square-Enix-produced DX1 remake, and seemingly only caring about the fucking graphics & other superficial details as he does so. What happened to this guy's design principles? Push game design harder than anyone else, and now is condoning soulless remakes...not one week after complaining about remakes and a lack of originality at E3. Like hell the game will retain everything that made it great in addition to expensive modern graphics anyway.
It will also make a lot of our work redundant in the masses' eyes, as the remake no matter how bad it is (and it will almost certainly be bad) will be looked to as the relevant version.

Anyway, it is a good video. Spector said it himself: "free reign on design", "made the game we wanted to make and nobody was going to stop us". That combined with their unique and decade-long refined design ambitions is the only way games like Deus Ex get made. A soulless remake would only serve to stain the art...unless you have crazy fans like us behind it, not corporate worker drones.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

LOL now they do an interview about Invisible War
http://au.ign.com/videos/2015/07/09/deu ... -exclusive
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I agree Deus ex does not need a remake. It still looks and plays well enough and works on modern hardware.

I doubt you could make equally large maps with modern graphics and have it fit on consoles too.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

While I agree that Deus Ex doesn't need a modern remake (I still think of it as the best game ever), I would love to see an Invisible War remake on the original Unreal 1.5 engine or a modern remake of it.

I mean, it's pretty much agreed that IW suffered from poor gameplay design choices (i.e. consolification), such as different types of ammo and skills being redacted, and technical difficulties.
The story was decent, and you had actual freedom to side with whoever you wanted when you weren't looking at loading screens.

So I think IW is a prime candidate for a remake. It's a good idea that was executed poorly, and that's what a remake should correct - the execution. Deus Ex is a good idea executed brilliantly, so it will be almost impossible to just remake it and come up with something that's better than the original.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

A Deus Ex remake would not be for us.

We played the game when it was new, and we remember how amazing it was. Our experience will always be "tainted" by that experience.

If Deus Ex should be remade, it's because it would bring that experience to a whole new generation of people, plus all the old farts who missed it when it was new. I know a lot of people who just can't get into the game because of how undetailed it looks and how clunkily it plays. I would love for those people to be able to play a remade version.

And you could do it without cutting anything, through the magic of streaming and LOD. I'm more worried about the amount of levels than the size of the levels - remaking those 76 levels with a modern detail level would be pretty expensive :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:
We played the game when it was new
And a dozen more times after that :giggle:
odio ergo sum
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

the latest dues ex looks ok, but somehow in all the technical excellence, it seems to be losing a more simple touch. I guess part of that is the fact that the first game has ancient and simple graphics, and even by the standards of 2000, the graphics were not good. But there is something about the level design which just seems to be missing from what I've seen in dues ex 4. Maybe it comes off more that everything absolutely has to be seen and so the levels are orientated in such a way. But if you think about NY in the first game, I'm sure many people didn't discover the underground tunnels on their first or even second time playing the game.
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

While I really liked Human Revolution, I was disappointed with their "choose your ending" final. I think it would have been better (but probably more expensive and long) to embrace the ethical choices and deliver each ending accordingly, so that in the last act the player would have already made up his mind about the world reality and be playing it with a much bigger emotional involvement. Playing it like this and having your choices respected, undoable, unequivocally final and celebrated with a nice developed ending would make you think "Oh wow, I wonder what would have happened if...?". I know I would have. I also think replay value would have been bigger also, instead of just reloading your last save and choosing the next ending. Story is so important.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm currently a huge fan of how The Witcher 3 handles it - you don't even get a choice at the end, you've already made all the choices throughout the whole game up until then, and what you get is the consequences of all those decision points. Really makes the ending feel like it ties the whole game together.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Jonas wrote:I'm currently a huge fan of how The Witcher 3 handles it - you don't even get a choice at the end, you've already made all the choices throughout the whole game up until then, and what you get is the consequences of all those decision points. Really makes the ending feel like it ties the whole game together.
Alright, I'll have to check out The Witcher 3 then.

I had been holding back on it because I need to upgrade my PC to play it. >:D
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

LeoBad wrote:
Jonas wrote:I'm currently a huge fan of how The Witcher 3 handles it - you don't even get a choice at the end, you've already made all the choices throughout the whole game up until then, and what you get is the consequences of all those decision points. Really makes the ending feel like it ties the whole game together.
Alright, I'll have to check out The Witcher 3 then.

I had been holding back on it because I need to upgrade my PC to play it. >:D
It's a long game, I hope you have 60ish hours to spare :)
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Took me 120 hours to get through it ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Took me 120 hours to get through it ;)
Huh.

I gave up after like 30.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

This is how surprised I am: :?
Jonas Wæver