The legacy of Deus Ex, 15 years later

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

Re: The legacy of Deus Ex, 15 years later

Post by Morpheus »

Made in China wrote:While I agree that Deus Ex doesn't need a modern remake (I still think of it as the best game ever), I would love to see an Invisible War remake on the original Unreal 1.5 engine or a modern remake of it.

I mean, it's pretty much agreed that IW suffered from poor gameplay design choices (i.e. consolification), such as different types of ammo and skills being redacted, and technical difficulties.
The story was decent, and you had actual freedom to side with whoever you wanted when you weren't looking at loading screens.

So I think IW is a prime candidate for a remake. It's a good idea that was executed poorly, and that's what a remake should correct - the execution. Deus Ex is a good idea executed brilliantly, so it will be almost impossible to just remake it and come up with something that's better than the original.
I just did a replay of Invisible War as I hadn't played it in years and noticed its flaws. It was a good game, but had many issues and for me, not much replay value. If there were a remake, I'd like to see modified or fixed:

1. Universal Ammo - Give us proper ammo for each weapon, not the same for all.
2. Not having to find or be told a keypad code to use a keypad. Make keypads like the the original Deus Ex.
3. Minor change: When you have the hacking biomod installed, you can't use a ATM, soda or candy machine without hacking it. So let you choose if you decide to hack it or use it normally.
4. More variation in the looks of NPCs as many like male and female scientists, male and female NPCs in New Cairo etc... all pretty much look the same, so having different looks for each NPC, minus troops, would be a better idea.

4. One of its big flaws to me is too much freedom to keep switching sides at a certain point, and that no matter what you do in the game previous to going to Liberty Island, you can change alliances once you get there (or defeat everyone) and end up with any ending you like by choosing who to give control of the Aquanis computer in UNATCO HQ, not just who you were allianced with when you started on Liberty Island, which makes me feel that what I did in the game prior to that didn't mean much. I know you had a choice in the original Deus Ex of what ending you wanted, but this isn't the same at all. Not sure how to improve that so that you feel like what choice you made, actually meant something in the end.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus