lol cool article about Deus Ex and its graphics

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hashi
Silhouette

lol cool article about Deus Ex and its graphics

Post by Hashi »

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/19/91718 ... gn-fiction

lol it's cool sliding between the graphics of Deus Ex and Human Revolution on the images.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: lol cool article about Deus Ex and its graphics

Post by Cybernetic pig »

But the biggest issue is that modern technology and game conventions have left Deus Ex's 2050s in the dust. The game's nano-augmented protagonist is supposedly replacing Human Revolution's cyborgs, but in 2011, it's possible to animate far more over-the-top superpowers.
Left in the dust according to whom?

In 2000 it was absolutely possible to animate over the top superpowers, the thing is they are not supposed to be over the top, at least before Eidos Montreal came in with their misguided take of how a Deus Ex game should be.
The original 2000 game features some normal predictive failures; news websites and ebooks, for example, haven't overtaken newspapers and hardcover novels
Last I looked, books and newspapers are still going relatively strong. I'm far more likely to find an abandoned newspaper sitting on a bench than I am an e-book.
I think a better example would be those old school fat telephones.
But like most AAA shooters, Deus Ex is devoted to pushing the boundaries of computer graphics.
This is news to me. Even Human Revolution doesn't push any technical graphics boundaries.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I don't think the author really knew what she was talking about, it's more than likely she was just tasked writing an article to hype up the new Deus Ex.
Anyway, Deus Ex is nano augmentation. It isn't supposed to be visible or have a drastic effect on the environment - the spy drone is probably the largest augmentation in Deus Ex.
In Human Revolution and as seen in Gunther, mechanical augmentations are much more massive, replacing entire body parts, and each part acting as one massive unit instead of the decentralized units of nano augmentations.

Now, the augmentations in Human Revolution pitch it far closer to Deus Ex than they should've. Case in point: the ballistic shield and the anti-radar device - unless Adam Jensen had all of his skin replaced, this shouldn't be possible with massive mechanical units.

So while her assumptions are wrong, the author is right about that - HR is flashier than DX. But DX wasn't meant to be flashy, it was meant to be concealed - while HR is just inconsistent. Adam Jensen should weigh more than 400lbs with all of this machinery, but he can still parachute and do stealth. He can basically explode and withstand huge explosions (as a mech super-agent should), but is still vulnerable to peashooters. It just doesn't make any sense within the world they've created.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote: In 2000 it was absolutely possible to animate over the top superpowers, the thing is they are not supposed to be over the top, at least before Eidos Montreal came in with their misguided take of how a Deus Ex game should be.
I think you're missing the bigger point: You don't need to animate your superpowers if you stay in first person like a sensible first person shooter.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote: In 2000 it was absolutely possible to animate over the top superpowers, the thing is they are not supposed to be over the top, at least before Eidos Montreal came in with their misguided take of how a Deus Ex game should be.
I think you're missing the bigger point: You don't need to animate your superpowers if you stay in first person like a sensible first person shooter.
Mirrors :mrgreen:

Some augs could do with additional animating in DX, such as Cloak/Radar Trans, but that's done in GMDX anyway. But yeah, other than that little is needed. And indeed, it is the sensible approach to focus on one perspective.

DX does really need some extra first person anims though. I have desired an animator for a long time now.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

This is the worst article ever written.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
But seriously... it is an terrible thing to compare these two games on the same web page.
They have nothing in common and the only thing that separates them from each other that the other game is a masterpiece, and the other is one of the worst sequels ever.
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Gaskoin
Thug

Post by Gaskoin »

When I needed to edit my written work to completely eliminate errors and inconsistencies I didn't know who could help at first. But then a colleague already on experience suggested that there is https://www.lorservice.com/ where professionals of high class in writing work and can compose any work in its entirety, and editing is easy and simple. So if you need to fix something you know where to turn.