This youtube series on Deus Ex 1, 2 and 3 is fucking great

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hashi
Silhouette

This youtube series on Deus Ex 1, 2 and 3 is fucking great

Post by Hashi »

Deus Ex 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYLEuQrvND0

Deus Ex 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxOKEsBx4NU
In this video, once he starts talking about economics, it's nonsense, but everything proceeding that is great. So once he starts talking about economics, and going into stuff he knows nothing about, turn off the video lol.

Deus Ex 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwpLDvAnvo

He has a really clear voice and speaks in easy to understand sentences and gets straight to the point.

10/10 series.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: This youtube series on Deus Ex 1, 2 and 3 is fucking gre

Post by Jonas »

Hashi wrote:In this video, once he starts talking about economics, it's nonsense, but everything proceeding that is great. So once he starts talking about economics, and going into stuff he knows nothing about, turn off the video lol.
You're studying economics, right? Sounds a lot like you just happen to know a lot about what he's talking about there, so you realise it's bullshit because he's not an economist. When you come across this sort of thing, try to ask yourself if everything else he says only sounds sensible because you're not an expert on it ;)

For example, my dad absolutely cannot watch historical movies or shows because he is a historian, so he gets hung up on all the inaccuracies. I find any fiction that portrays game development essentially infuriating because that's my area and the layman knows fuck all about what goes on in the games industry.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Jonas wrote:
Hashi wrote:In this video, once he starts talking about economics, it's nonsense, but everything proceeding that is great. So once he starts talking about economics, and going into stuff he knows nothing about, turn off the video lol.
You're studying economics, right? Sounds a lot like you just happen to know a lot about what he's talking about there, so you realise it's bullshit because he's not an economist. When you come across this sort of thing, try to ask yourself if everything else he says only sounds sensible because you're not an expert on it ;)

For example, my dad absolutely cannot watch historical movies or shows because he is a historian, so he gets hung up on all the inaccuracies. I find any fiction that portrays game development essentially infuriating because that's my area and the layman knows fuck all about what goes on in the games industry.
Oh yeah the stuff he's talking about is cherrypicking data and not looking at the whole, and just sort of pointing to one thing and saying 'hey that's really bad! corporations/governments are bad! etc' It doesn't look into people's preferences or the fact that on the whole we're richer than we've ever been. The viewpoints he takes ignore the work that a lot of people have put into making the western world so wealthy, and the delicate balance between growth, freedom, liberty etc. It takes that stuff for granted, which is never a good thing.

Yeah in terms of game development I wouldn't have a clue if he's talking the truth, I just understand when he talks about story telling and characters, because I am an aspiring writer. Do you have any examples from any of the videos where he talks about game development and doesn't know what he's talking about? I'd love to know.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I don't think he's saying there isn't progress, he's just saying our future is controlled by factors we, as the general populous, have no control over. And it's not like those who have control are necessarily malicious, just very egotistical and if they have to trample over us to get more control/power - so be it.
Also, you may say that "we're richer than ever!", but the money hidden in tax haven is about twice the amount of the USA's GDP in the worst case scenario. It's not centralized, sure, but it's still held by a minority. Heck, 1% of that money is enough to run a small country for a year (EDIT: apparently, this isn't even extremely small countries - you can run Denmark by yourself!) - and while they probably not all live in Richland, it's not too far off to suggest that they probably strongly influence current events, probably in a way that can profit them the most and without any regard for us.

Notice that I say "influence" and not "control" - that's where I differ from him. We're progressing at an astounding rate, and I'm sure if someone wanted to enslave you progress would've been their number 1 enemy. But I do feel like our progress is being halted by unknown factors in certain areas - transportation and the general failure of electric cars, treating hunger and war crises (such as in Africa, which has a lot of NGOs operating there), smoking not being proven unhealthy officially, etc.
So I can't say I disagree with him very much, although he's probably taking it too far.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Made in China wrote:you can run Denmark by yourself!
And as an added bonus you'd be hard pressed to do a worse job of it than our current government ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
john00
NSF

Re: This youtube series on Deus Ex 1, 2 and 3 is fucking great

Post by john00 »

I've been welding as a hobby for a while, and I found this article to be a great refresher on choosing the right welding machine. It's essential to evaluate our skills and match them with the machine's capabilities. Homepage