If you created the ultimate video game, what would it be?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

If you created the ultimate video game, what would it be?

Post by Morpheus »

I was thinking. If you had unlimited time, money, resources and computing power and you could make any kind of video game you wanted, no matter how big or extreme (or not) it was, what would you make? For me my ultimate idea of a game would be one that is totally unrealistic to actually make as it could take up loads of TBs or space and need a really really fast computer to run smoothly:

A gigantic sandbox with realistic physics, 3D RPG like GTA V with a very large location with a coast, forests, mountains and city and many other locations to explore (some via missions and side quests). There would be thousands of unique things that would happen in the game based on what choices you make, so every action as a reaction some good and some bad. The game would have a day and night system with 4 seasons and varied weather conditions like rain, hail, snow, sleet, blizzards, hurricanes, drought, clear skies, floods, cloudy, thunder storms, earthquakes etc... and the weather conditions would affect things you can and cannot do.

You'd have a 100% customisation player which you could make look as realistic or nor so, as you like. To progress in the game, you'd need to do most of the things you do in real life. Earn money, get a job (which you will have to turn up for at certain times in game time, if you want to leave will have to tell your boss your leaving or your fired), buy a vehicle, get a place to live, pay bills, eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, wash, brush teeth (if you do to the hygene and eating things this affects your health and the options you have in the game as you can't go to some places being smelly, dirty or sleep deprived without negetive consequences) etc... You could find a partner, start a family, get a pet and so much more. Once you start doing this you could start to advance in the game.

The game would have elements of games like:

Motocross Madness 2 - You could decided when you have enough money to buy a motocross bike. When you do, you will have the option to become a professional Motocross rider by doing Stunts, Enduro, Baja, Supercross and Nationals races like you do in MCM2, if your bike needs repaired, you want a new and better bike and/or you get injured, you'll have to pay these, if you can't then you could lose your chance to continue this at the moment until you do have enough money to continue your career. Becoming a motocross rider would new and unique to this mode locations like places you'd got for competitions or to do stunts or race around.

Tony Hakws Pro Skater Series/Matt Hoffmans Pro BMX, Kelly Slaters Pro Surfer - Same as above, but like these games for Skateboarding, BMX and Surfing so you could try to be the best at these. Doing one or more of these would unlock some new and unique to this mode locations like places you'd got for competitions.

Farming Simulator - You can become a farmer and do all the things you can do in farming simulator. Similar applies to Train and Flight Simulators. You could also even do the same for boats, be a car mechanic and more. This unlocks new locations, modes and other features you'd not have in the game otherwise.

The Sims/Simcity - If you want, you can run for mayor of the city or be a architect or other similar labour type jobs so you can design and create buildings, put in pluming and electricity to houses and do the kind of thing like you can in Sims/Sim City games. There could even be similar disasters to Sim City like fires, riots, crime sprees, UFO attacks, hurricanes, earthquakes etc... This way the city would look unique though each new play though, but this might only work for single player mode.

Deus Ex - Go to something like a type of of UNATCO academy, train hard and become an agent, get modified with augs, and uncover conspiracies Deus Ex style. This would unlock unique modes and locations, some you could only get to by playing this mode.

These above choices could also affect how your life is outside these career options and some people migjt come and ask you to do things based on your new skills, or you could be in more danger because of the choices you made,

Unlike GTA V, if you commit any crimes or violence and destruction, consequences for these actions are more like the would be in real life and you will be punished under the law if your caught doing anything like this and this will affect what you can and can't do in the game going forward and if you say kill a bunch of people or do something that bad and break the law, then you could go to jail for years or even get executed, in which case the game may end there for you. The game also ends if you die, and that happens if you get hurt badly, get infected by something, get sick and you don't get treated, don't eat or drink and or sleep for days etc... You can also age in real time.

You could also do things to annoy people like play music in your house/apartment too loud, drive around in a vehicle with music playing too loud, walk around in public naked or inappropriately dressed in it to name a few things. There are probably more things you can do, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

So basically this would be a huge realistic life simulator where no matter what you do, every little thing affects the game play and it would work online too so you could interact with people like in GTA 5 which would give you thousands of hours of varied gameplay depending on how you choose to progress in the game.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: If you created the ultimate video game, what would it be

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Morpheus wrote:So basically this would be a huge realistic life simulator
So basically you may as well go outside and live in reality :P

I'd go for either:

1. A traditional Immersive Sim as the base, and seek to evolve that concept.
2. Seek to tread new ground with more straightforward ARPGs, as well as try some unexplored genre blending.
3. Attempt to evolve the old school doom-like FPS concept that pretty much died in the early 2000s, and also support community contributions (user maps, mods) thoroughly. Due to the lack of/minimal story direction tying everything together (as per tradition) one can keep releasing official updates for years, creating a mega shooter.
4. If VR happened to be well developed, which it isn't currently: to tread new ground in the VR space by again using the Immersive Sim as the base concept.
5. Since we're talking limitless time and budget, to create the "most epic RPG of all time". Perfect in every way. Infallible, highly engaging gameplay. A pretty long adventure. Extremely high replayability by taking traditional methods to the extreme without resorting to procedurally generated levels and the like. Moderately dynamic story, but perhaps more importantly it's the best written and most interesting one. As there's no limits it would have its own highly optimized revolutionary control input hardware developed specifically for it. And it would hypothetically single-handedly raise standards of the industry and gamers worldwide, sparking a new golden age of quality, creative control and experimentation for games :D
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

1. Immersive, engaging story that keeps the player thinking.
2. Gameplay that never get's repetitive, even without trying. Very replay-able, without compromises on gameplay time.
3. A Consistent, creative, and original graphics style that blends in with the atmosphere of the game (plot and gameplay wise).
4. Make the game's difficulty appeal to a wide audience of players, with a gradual learning curve that shapes the difficulty level in which they can play at.
5. A Smooth flow in terms of progression, that doesn't bore the player, but also doesn't give them too much to deal with at once.
6. Making the player feel good or bad for there actions in one way or another, without rubbing it in there face, but making it noticeable enough to convey the message.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'd really like to do a Bethesda-like FPSRPG, but just better in every way. Bethesda games are so shonky. They're great! But shonky. And the writing is always so... weak.

Not sure I'd go with fantasy - probably science fiction instead. I have a couple of half-baked settings lying around I'd love to bake the rest of the way and use for something. With a team of 180-250 people and 4-5 years of development, I should be able to put something together that would match the scope of The Witcher 3, but with a smaller game world so the content density would be way higher. Roughly same balance of storyline content, very involved side missions, and maybe some dynamic/procedural content thrown in for players who want that kind of thing.

More likely I would totally drop the ball on the project and it would end up taking 14 years and then be cancelled when the money finally ran out. I mean fuck can you imagine the management overhead on a AAA team? I wouldn't even have time to work on the game for all the meetings I'd be in.

Maybe instead I would stick to a 40-80 person team and then take 6 years to make it. Have a team of 8 writers at my beck and call, each one paired up with a level designer, a cinematic designer, and a mission scripter. Outsource environment and character art maybe.

I suspect I would go creatively bankrupt if I had actual unfettered creative freedom though. All the best ideas tend to be solutions to frustrating constraints or workarounds to insurmountable problems :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Jonas wrote:I'd really like to do a Bethesda-like FPSRPG, but just better in every way.
Maybe instead I would stick to a 40-80 person team and then take 6 years to make it. Have a team of 8 writers at my beck and call, each one paired up with a level designer, a cinematic designer, and a mission scripter. Outsource environment and character art maybe.
So basically the game I've been waiting for ever since I played Deus Ex and System Shock. I'll be one of the level designers; I'll even call my assigned writer "daddy" if he wants.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Fallout: New Vegas is that game currently. It's a Bethesda game, not made by Bethesda, and better in every way. In my opinion.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I love Fallout: New Vegas. Pretty damn shonky game though! ;)

I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. I actually played a few sessions in Cyberpunk 2020 in high school. Lot of potential there.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I just hope they get the gameplay down solid. Witcher games aren't known for their engaging gameplay. The best of games nail both gameplay and story.
Ziggyno
Mole Person

Post by Ziggyno »

Real drift simulation
Ragnorrk
Mole Person

Post by Ragnorrk »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 am
Fallout: New Vegas is that game currently. It's a Bethesda game, not made by Bethesda, and better in every way. In my opinion.
Fallout: New Vegas is that game currently. It's a Bethesda game, not made by Bethesda, and better in every way. In my opinion."

While opinions on video games can vary, it's important to note that Fallout: New Vegas was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Bethesda Game Studios, although it was published by Bethesda Softworks. Some players might argue that Fallout: New Vegas is better than other Bethesda games, such as Fallout 3 Console Commands or Fallout 4, for various reasons.