Deus Ex franchise on Hiatus after Poor Sales

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Deus Ex franchise on Hiatus after Poor Sales

Post by Jonas »

The microtransactions is the least important reason to wait for a sale - they have no impact on the game what-so-ever, you should ignore them and that will actually only improve your experience.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Well I got MD from the Humble Monthly and... ehm... I don't really like this game. I really have to push myself to even start it up and playing it I decisively want to play something else instead, I'm just not having any fun playing what-so-ever.
I'll probably just drop playing it entirely even though I've only seen half of Prague... Going through the metro and now having to do another even LARGER section does not entice me in the slightest :/
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

RIP to Dues Ex, at least we still have one of you left.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Hashi wrote:RIP to Dues Ex, at least we still have one of you left.
Honestly Hashi, there’s still reasonable hope for Deus Ex. ^^

For a start, the Cyberpunk genre is trendy again:

Warren Spector said last year that he’d love to work on a new Deus Ex game. Right now the guy is working on a reboot of the first System Shock, if that's not cyberpunkish then I don't know what it is! \o/:

Warren Spector would make another Deus Ex in a heartbeat – “I screamed in frustration throughout much of Human Revolution” (vg247)

System Shock Reboot (expected release Q1 2020)

Second there are quite a few Cyberpunk games in developement right now:

- CD Project, the developers behind the Witcher games, are working on Cyberpunk 2077. Even though the game is cyberpunk it seems much more action-oriented and mature-rated (à la Witcher) than the Deus Ex games,

Rain of Reflections: by Lionbite Games (Swedish developers): turn-based,

The Sigma Theory: from Mi-Clos Studio (Frenchies): Strategy spy-game, release date: April 2019,

Synstasis: from Transhumanoid Productions ^^, Strategy,

Living Dark: by RocketWerkz Studios, from New Zealand. This Studio was created by Dean Hall, the guy who worked on the mod "DayZ" which later became a full-fledged game. Living Dark is an upcoming game that is quite hard to classify right now.

Observer: by Bloober Team SA, cyberpunk horror game, already released,

So when I read somewhere -can’t find the link anymore apology- that we won’t see a new Deus Ex up until another 10 years !?! This statement seems so out there. Maybe I’m too optimistic but again I think there’s some sizeable hope for the Deus Ex franchise in the near future.

On a final note let me add:

Now granted being topical is one thing, but does the Cyberpunk genre (games, movies,…) sell well these days? Apparently not enough:

Cyberpunk is getting its biggest push since the late ‘90s, but why don’t audiences seem to care? (gamesradar, Marsh 2018)
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

That was super interesting, thanks for the links! I thought he was completely done with the series, but actually saying he would love to do another one gives some hope. Well at least if Square Enix is willing to actually sell the IP...