Warren Spector talks about Deus Ex at GDC for an hour

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hashi
Silhouette

Warren Spector talks about Deus Ex at GDC for an hour

Post by Hashi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI

This is quite awesome, and even though it's a little echoey, he obviously speaks well and clearly.

Just another great video to pass along to fellow OTP people.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Warren Spector talks about Deus Ex at GDC for an hour

Post by Jonas »

I was in the audience :P

Just showing off. Sorry.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Shame on you for not sharing first. It's already almost a week old!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've had a busy week.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Mine's been busier (I checked both our calendar's and compared) and I actually had more events on, and yet even with that, I managed to share this amazing link.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Hashi wrote:Mine's been busier (I checked both our calendar's and compared) and I actually had more events on, and yet even with that, I managed to share this amazing link.
Thanks for the heads up, Hashi! Listening to it right now.

Even with a d*** cold and brain functions at around 25% I'm still mesmerized by Warren Spector. The guy has such a way to captivate the audience.
Jonas wrote:I was in the audience :P

Just showing off. Sorry.
I would have said the same honestly. :mrgreen:

By the way just curious: what brought you to San Francisco (apart from attending Waren Spector's conference)? If my question was too inquisitive just forget about it. ^^

Also did you have a good time listening to him?
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

So! I finally listened to the whole speech. :mrgreen:

As expected Warren Spector's comments were quite juicy and insightful. Some personal highlights:
(3.51) "So let me tell you where it began, this is gonna get a little embarrassing: it all began with Dungeons & Dragons!
Woah! I never was very fond of the D&D videogames, except for lovely Planescape Torment. The fact that the gameplay mechanics behind Deus Ex – which I still find fantastic- were inspired by the D&D roleplaying game is big news for me. Sorry if I sounded like a noob,
(32.43) "Three Programmers made Deus Ex, they were very overworked…So what went wrong…Team Structure did not work…I had two people qualified to be lead designers, so instead of picking one I said you’re both Lead Designers I’m gonna give you both your own design team. Err! Don’t do that. I thought I could manage the tensions between the immersive Sim Guys and the Ultima Guys, and what ended up happening was I had to call one of the designers teams 1 and the other one A because neither would be B or 2."
What can I say? It's both funny and sad.
(34.44) “Our goals were too big - not realistic”
You know Jonas this comment made by Warren Spector reminds me of a remark you made in the introduction of your Post Mortem about The Nameless Mod: “If we'd known what we were getting ourselves into, we'd have run away screaming.”
(43.54) “There was one guy, ok, I was at GDC, this was several years ago, Err, and a guy came up to me dressed as JC Denton! Ok. And he was German, and I will not try to do a German accent but he said I played through Deus Ex 63 times and had a different experience every time. And I pushed him on it and I said it’s not…he said no: I played through it 63 times! And then he said words that were magic to my ears “I’m going back to Germany after this show” And I was grateful because I really don’t wanna be on the same continent with that guy.”
Funny I guess, but also somewhat mean, in other words I would want to be in the shoes of that German Fan when he hears about this. ^^
(51.19) Fan Question: “What does JC stand for?”

Warren Spector: "It stands for Jesus Christ."
Well! I guess it’s official now. ^^ Also the in-joke reference about his friend Bradley Denton is quite surprising.
(55.13) Fan Question: “Since its initial release, since 2000, I always wanted to play this game in VR, and if the source code of this game ever comes out, I'm dropping everything I'm doing and making a VR version of this. Is there anything you can do to help me with that first part?”

Warren Spector: "I recommend therapy!”
:mrgreen: Joke aside I find it curious that Warren Spector dismisses Virtual Reality so easily. I’m not very fond of VR to be honest but I’ve got the hunch it’s going to work for the masses somehow someday...
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

This is much older than a week.

Someone else has posted about it here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12302

I agree it has been a mesmerizing speech.
sandy090
Mole Person

Post by sandy090 »

Haha, it is useful. I just watch all of it.
drewbinsky
Mole Person

Post by drewbinsky »

With the 2011 release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Warren Spector returned to the Deus Ex franchise blossom word game. He was responsible for reviving the series and returning it to its roots as the game's creative director at Eidos Montreal.
tepidfirm
Mole Person

Post by tepidfirm »

it is useful for me.

free games
jeffreestar
Mole Person

Post by jeffreestar »

Knowing who "OTP people" are would also be helpful in understanding the intended slice master audience for this video.
Melinda55
Mole Person

Post by Melinda55 »

To ensure your golf game is at its best, consider integrating technology like the CapCut Apk, a versatile tool for editing and enhancing your golf swing videos, which can be easily shared or analyzed to improve your performance on the course.