Audio books

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Audio books

Post by that guy »

I'm getting sick of all the music I listen to in the half our drive to work and figured since I don't really read books any more it would be cool to listen to some audio books. It then occured to me that I did not have any audio books. Is anyone aware of a non-dodgy way to get free audio books?
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I don't think there are many free audio books availlable. Especially not the good ones since they use professional readers/voices that also work for the movie industry. They are quite expensive and royalties for the book itself need to be paid as well.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Can't you get 'em at the local library? My mom brings them home in droves and puts them on her iPod.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jonas is right, you can get them from your local library.

My girlfriend's parents got hooked up with some kind of e-library through their regular library, and they can rent the books online. You can check out 5 at once and you're legally entitled to burn most of them. The rest have digital rights for 3 weeks, or something.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Deus Diablo
UNATCO

Post by Deus Diablo »

Audio books are no substitute to actually reading books IMO. First of all its much faster to read them yourself, second, without really being able to explain it, reading the books makes them much more enjoyable. Without distractions it comes more alive I guess. I've been getting into reading again recently (actually took a surprising amount of time to get used to it again as I was too easily distracted). The Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass) was one of the books I re-read over the holidays, took 2 days and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to read the two sequels again.
DanielM
Lead Nit Picker
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Reading books is better for most people, but not everyone enjoys reading, so I think a lot of people can get more enjoyment out of the audio books.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I listened to the Neuromancer audio book.. Gibson is excelent but having U2 and Bono yelling in my ear kinda sucks.. fing hippies.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I've never listened to an audio book before (except perhaps as a kid) and used to read all the time. However I never really have time to read anymore. I do however do about an hour of driving every day. The audio books is more a solution to that problem than an alternative to book reading.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Yeah, I agree that reading a book yourself is deeper but I still find it quite enjoyable to listen to an audiobook in bed sometimes. It's more relaxed than reading where you have to hold a position in order to read the book. I am also a slow reader so that I am able to get more input when someone else reads it for me. That's ok for some books.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I find audiobooks helpful. I can "read" without paying attention, or rather without having to stare at something and ignore everything else. Some content doesn't seem to match the medium though, at least for critical study. Things can be said a lot faster than they can be understood. Extremely complex subjects, or intentionally fragmentary or obfuscated texts, become unfathomable when they're just said aloud. On the other hand, you can speed up an audiobook when it's easy to follow.

There's a lot of audiobooks on P2P. Publishers often put out an audiobook version of books. Often you can actually get the author reading their book to you.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Like William Gibson in Neuromancer.. very geeky :D it'll sound better when I start hiring VAs for my game :P