3d printers

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Dead-eye
X-51

3d printers

Post by Dead-eye »

Because I felt like I was going to change the topic of another forum on this website I have been thinking about building one of these in my basement: http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Or buying one of these: http://www.desktopfactory.com/our_product/

I thought it would be cool to start the 3d Printer forum. Mostly this has to do with me yesterday thinking to myself that I don't really create anything. Short movies and photos thats about it. It would be cool if I started making stuff. So I'm considering getting a 3d printer. Anyone else into this idea?

Edit:
Here is a list of 3d printers:
http://home.att.net/~castleisland/comp_lks.htm
Last edited by Dead-eye on Thu May 22, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Master
Thug

Post by Shadow Master »

WOW 3d printers! Holy SHOOT MY WOW=WOOT thats NUts. :o

Totaly man, nanotechnology man,,, future man. Like we can build the shadow gate man... Why did I call it the shadow gate? I'm going to call it the peace gate!

Peace and drugs for all. Kids need to smoke more weed. I am thinking od going to californium. Seeing as I live in Germany. But I don't see German vary well. For you see I have lived all over the world so my next home will be California. Anyone know of a place were its really stoner friendly? Or am I 40 years too late?
I'm most likely high.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Shadow Master wrote:WOW 3d printers! Holy SHOOT MY WOW=WOOT thats NUts. :o

Totaly man, nanotechnology man,,, future man. Like we can build the shadow gate man... Why did I call it the shadow gate? I'm going to call it the peace gate!

Peace and drugs for all. Kids need to smoke more weed. I am thinking od going to californium. Seeing as I live in Germany. But I don't see German vary well. For you see I have lived all over the world so my next home will be California. Anyone know of a place were its really stoner friendly? Or am I 40 years too late?
GTFOff Cyberspace fool! you're killing the interwebz! Also I take it you live in Amsterdam? :P

@ DeadEye - for $5000 its not worth it. 3D printers are only good for CAD based operations and rarely are very good at sculpture. For a good one expect to pay around 10-20k easily- thats for Plastic, not this cheap paper cut out crap.

IMO its a waste of money and the technology is really quite bad.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

A RepRap or a Fab@Home dose not seem like a wast of money however. Even though they can't make crap right now and for some resin a feb@home costs more then a RepRap although they both look like the same damn thing. I am considering building one.

A desktop factory seems like something that will be cool in 5 years or so. I will consider buying one when there $1000.
Michael_TSM
NSF

Post by Michael_TSM »

What's the difference between a '3D printer' and a CNC Lathe or a CNC Mill
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Shadow Master wrote: Seeing as I live in Germany.
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote: Also I take it you live in Amsterdam? :P
Unless there have been serious geological shifts in the last hour or so, I seriously doubt that Amsterdam is situated in Germany. It might have been, 55 years ago, but not now.

Anyway, 3d printers still look very interesting. I registered for that website that you can upload your models to. Now I just need to take up modeling ;)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Wow. I got a replay form the CEO of Desktop Factory. I sent here an email saying three things:

1.) Please make a forum.

2.) Will blender be supported.

3.) Will it be able to make a RepRap.

and she was nice and answered every question. Thats really cool.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

And?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

and I sent her an email back that took me most of the day to wright. She was really interested in the forum idea and she was wondering if there was a way to solve the problem of Noob to pro issues. She didn't won't to see pros shy away from the forum because it seemed to be full of noobs and was wondering if there was a way to make it friendly to both. I then told her about how long it took Jason Busby to make 3d buzz the place he wonted it to be and how she might be able to learn form him.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

lol EER you replied to CP before I could :(.

We used a 3D printer at work to build a prototype and it came out really cool.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

WOW... I just checked the Rep Rap Page. At 14:00 hours UTC on 29 May 2008 at Bath University in the UK, the first working complete RepRap was made.

I'm still looking for articles on the topic. I don't think that machine made the wiring or all the electronic parts for the other one, so I don't think it's truly a breakthrough.