[Bug/Issue/Cyber Security Flaw?] Grasshopper canvas color mysteriously changed!?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

[Bug/Issue/Cyber Security Flaw?] Grasshopper canvas color mysteriously changed!?

Post by CashiWaku »

Hi,

Yesterday evening, while opening a GH file from the internet, specifically GitHub, my Grasshopper changed its background color to mouse grey?

Before (default):
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 19.24.13
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 19.24.131159×509 116 KB

Now:
Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 08.47.17
Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 08.47.171006×446 79.7 KB

How can it be that an individual GH file can permanently mess with your program layout? This opens up a huge potential for trolling people!

If custom layouts are allowed, which on an individual level seems fair - what do I care if John Doe wants to “mod” his Grasshopper-, why doesn’t Grasshopper roll back to the local default, once you close the file in question? Why do these changes stay permanent?

There doesn’t seem to be a Restore Defaults option in the Grasshopper Preferences, so how the heck do I get the default canvas back?

How big of a liability security-wise are GH files, when sharing or downloading them (i.e. hidden viruses, trojans, encryption schemes, etc.)?
BeenDevean
Mole Person

Re: [Bug/Issue/Cyber Security Flaw?] Grasshopper canvas color mysteriously changed!?

Post by BeenDevean »

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with Grasshopper. It could be a bug or issue with the file itself, or it could potentially be a cybersecurity issue if the file contained malicious code that caused the change.
On a related note, I recently read an interesting article on Emerging Cybersecurity Trends for London businesses. It highlights some of the key trends and challenges facing businesses when it comes to cybersecurity, such as the rise of cloud-based attacks and the need for stronger identity and access management.
john00
NSF

Re: [Bug/Issue/Cyber Security Flaw?] Grasshopper canvas color mysteriously changed!?

Post by john00 »

The mention of using automated tools to aid in cyber assessments is a smart approach. Leveraging ISO 27001 consultancy to conduct routine scans and checks enables organizations to swiftly identify and mitigate vulnerabilities.