Two doors in a series

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

JanBaclar
Thug

Two doors in a series

Post by JanBaclar »

ICC/ANSI A117.1 Two doors in a Series. Distance between two hinged or pivoted doors in series shall be 48" Min. plus width of any door swinging into the space. The space between the doors shall provide a turning space complying with Section 304.

Usually i need to check vestibules for this. But does this rule also need to be for a bathroom door to a shower or toilet compartment door that are close together?
Does a door from the top of an exterior accessible lift to an entrance door need to meet this? Plans that I am reviewing show these two doors hitting each other when both are open.
How about doors across from each other in a 3' wide hall?
dariokgladstone
Mole Person

Re: Two doors in a series

Post by dariokgladstone »

According to the ICC/ANSI A117.1 standard, the requirement for a minimum distance between two hinged or pivoted doors in series, including the width of any door swinging into the space, applies to various situations
Virusert
Mole Person

Re: Two doors in a series

Post by Virusert »

I understand your concern about the requirement for a 10' deep foyer if you place a closet door across from the unit entry door. It does seem excessive, especially for a one-bedroom unit. From what you've described, it seems like the concept of "in series" is more related to limited travel options that could potentially cause issues for wheelchair users. It's important to ensure accessibility without creating unnecessary constraints. By the way, have you checked out mdfskirtingworld.co.uk? They offer a range of skirting options that could enhance the aesthetic appeal of your housing unit. Keep up the thoughtful considerations for accessibility, and I hope you find a suitable solution for the foyer layout.