Fun with Deus Ex: Stuff you'd never think was possible

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Fun with Deus Ex: Stuff you'd never think was possible

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

KILLING THE TRIAD LEADERS AFTER THE ALLIANCE:

Here's a cool trick, once you've created an alliance between the luminious path and red dragon after getting the dragons tooth, they invite you back to lucky money for drinks.

Go back to the lucky money, now whoop out the sword that brought them together cause its time for the old dagger in the back.

WOW I killed the triad leaders... WTF does that mean?? Try it.. Obviously a bug.

JUMPING THE GATES EARLY:

To jump the gates in Wan Chai to assasinate Tracer Tong (cause I tried it) you can with Leg Speed Aug levels 2-4 i think and picking up something to
use to boost you will work.

Now the traids will be on your case... If you open up Unreal Ed you can actually mess with the Coded door inside the complex. Unfortuantely Tracer tong aint anywhere to be seen!

FINNISHING THE GAME WITHOUT KILLING WALTON SIMONDS:

You might have noticed that walton dosen't need to be faced until the Area 51 part. Simply RUN LIKE HELL when he comes for you, and remember he's affraid of hights so all you have to do is jump down the elevator shaft inside the complex. Wait a min! I didn't have to kill him! WTF?

enjoy...
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Yeah on my latest playthrough I didn't kill Walton Simons just because he's such an awesome character. The thing about the wall of the triad complex, heh I should try that one day. I knew about it because I would sometimes go into UED and use that map as a reference for something I'm working on and notice "hey, that looks possible..." a few points in the game not normally accessable I learned from this very same method. Hehe, this game is so fun... have any of you ever hosted an SP map in MP and just ran around exploring with your budies? I did that a long time ago with a friend in the Cathedral map. It looks like it was designed in hammer. Theyrs a giant open brush then the play area is designed... floating there. I think the mapper could have cut the file size almost in half if he just subtracted the map out like anyone else would. But hey, that map looks really good so I'm not gonna complain.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

if anyone finds out if you can stop anna from dying please let me know ;) i've heard its doable..

FUN WITH ZYME:

If you collect the Zyme you can get a max of 30 in the whole game, but you can only carry 20. Take the lot in one go and enjoy the wackyness!

Also note, you can give Zyme to drug addicts to get their weapons, then kill them and take your Zyme back.. I'm evil hehehe

FUN WITH BOMBS:

This one everyone has done before, you can load 1000s of LAM grenades using cheats, then keep your distance and fire either a rocket of a bullet into the heap with some cats or people and enjoy the minceage!!!

FUN WITH MACHINES:

I never ever get tired of having a nicely sheilded mech in the middle of a whole stack of Unatco troopers, simply throw a scrambler into the pile and watch them run for their lives! They'll ignore you most of the time too. NOTE: this only works if the machine is your enemy to begin with and the mech is at operation, not idle or disabled.

SMOKING KILLS:

You can kill yourself with cigs, find 20 packs and smoke them in about 1 min.. Good way to get cancer.

FUN WITH MAGGIE:

One of the funniest things to do is shoot your way into maggie chows residence. Kill her, smash the window open and throw her off the ledge.

Never get tired of that! Then you've got 2 options, 1 jump in after her and look at all that blood or 2 go down to the street level and notice that the robot has started attacking you!! BUG...

SECRET MEETING WITH BOB PAGE:

Bob page dosen't know this but JC Denton is right infront of him during the first tour of the VirsaLife building when they aren't trying to kill you. You can walk up to the wall and listen in on a convosation with Bob Page and Maggie Chow about Helios and UC.. Really funny as he meantions denton once (I felt like waving to him hehehe) shooting at the glass or making a huge ruccas does nothing though which sux!

TURNING PAUL INTO UNATCO:

There is one convosation that I haven't encountered in ages, it only happens if you are extremely co-operative with Unatco's operatives. JC will tell paul "You've helped the terrorists long enough, I'm turning you in!" Paul replies "JC go look into that building and find those notes, you'll realise that Unatco isn't the organisation you thought it was!" kinda. I may be a little off though cause it was ages since i found it last.

TAKING OVER THE BAR:

In the first mission into hells kitchen if you kill the bar tender, you get the "I dont want to know what happened in the bar" thing with manderly. Later on the US marine that is looking for sandra says "Someone killed the bar maid.. OPEN BAR!!!" hahahaha
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

The way to keep Anna alive... you need to throw a LAM in her general direction to make her flip out and run away from it. If you play your cards right she should open the door for you where you thus sneak past her and on your way.
Nap
Thug

Post by Nap »

Why would you wanna keep that B**********************H ALIVE? (oops got alittle excessive on the stars). I should try those thingy's out. Once I went through the hong kong maps and killed everyone I could. About only 4 people were left standing. About the bob page thing. I turned on no clip once and went into the room him and chow were in and they didn't notice me. I WAS STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM!

My Vision Is Augmented
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

I agree with you man, Anna is indeed quite the... feminine dog persuation. But its just nifty that you can manipulate the game in that mannor and just walts right by her. lol, I did that before. The hong kong massacre I mean. Back when I was but a wee lad, my computer had trouble running DeusEx. Whenever I tried to go to maggy's apartment it would crash the game. Wow, you can not imagine how happy I was when I was finally able to progress. I loved DeusEx so much I would replay the beginning up to that point, and explore every inch of that Kong Kong district.

I dunno if this would apply, but theres a giant BSP error in the Hong Kong Canals. Watger in this game seems to always have BSP problems I've noticed.

btw, whats your avatar from Nap? His vest looks familiar...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Watger? Whazzat?

Heh, I remember that BSP error, that is one nasty bug. One moment you're happily swimming through the canals, the next moment you're walking on water :shock:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

You can also get past Anna by letting her follow you into Manderley's room (she often gets stuck in there). Once she's trapped there, beat Alex with a baton until he panics, then herd him up to the door, which he will open for you.

I've never killed Jordan Shea, I should try that some time.

If you haven't seen it, you should definately check out this.

Finally, a couple of videos I made. First off, the probably well-known Maggie's maid jumping out of a closed window, and secondly, a bizarre grenade bug.
Nap
Thug

Post by Nap »

Another starnge thing I tried out once:

During your second mission in New York where you take out the power generator:

Ok, Paul is supposed to be attacking the NSF HQ Right? Well, after I took out the generator, I backtracked back to the streets of Hell's Kitchen. And Who do I find standing in the subway station right where I left him?

Paul Denton.

(Some agent. He can go through an entire mission without even moving! :o )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another Bug type of thing in Hong Kong Cannals:

One Day I was swimming in the cannals, just for the heck of it.
And during my swim, I turn a corner and see a huge hole in the canal wall. And theres some empty balck space and I can see the whole map in it. *twilight zone music begins to play* Particularary the area where the tunnel clapsed. I couldent go in the hole either. I could only look at it.

So, I decided to go in the callapsed tunnel to see if the hole was two way. I found out it wasn't. Did anyone else encounter this sort of thing?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expanding the limits of item carrying compacity:

This is a sweet thing to do. First, lets assume that your inventory hot key is binded to 'I'. Fill up your inventory menu to its maximum carrying compacity. then press I to bring up the menu. Lets say you have a GEP gun. click the gep gun and drag it off the screen. Without letting go of the gep gun, press I to close menu. then pick up an item you dont already own, and open your inventory menu again. If you did everying correctly, you should see the item you picked up behind the gep gun.

My Vision Is Augmented
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Nap wrote:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another Bug type of thing in Hong Kong Cannals:

One Day I was swimming in the cannals, just for the heck of it.
And during my swim, I turn a corner and see a huge hole in the canal wall. And theres some empty balck space and I can see the whole map in it. *twilight zone music begins to play* Particularary the area where the tunnel clapsed. I couldent go in the hole either. I could only look at it.

So, I decided to go in the callapsed tunnel to see if the hole was two way. I found out it wasn't. Did anyone else encounter this sort of thing?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Prepare for mapping knowledge:

This, is a BSP error. I mentioned it above. So technically we're both mentioning the same thing. A BSP error is caused by some sort of mishap when creating the geometry. DX is indeed a gorgeous game, but every rose has its thorns! The mappers of DX could have done their handywork a lot better. Sometimes I seriosuly consider remaking an SP map just to show people what I mean. I bet I could knock a couple thousand KB off the map. :(

btw your avatar, I want to say Chris Redfield...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

ZeroPresence wrote:DX is indeed a gorgeous game, but every rose has its thorns! The mappers of DX could have done their handywork a lot better. Sometimes I seriosuly consider remaking an SP map just to show people what I mean. I bet I could knock a couple thousand KB off the map. :(
I'm not sure if HDTP is looking into that at all, but if you have some extra time, try it, I'd like to see the results. I remember the catacombs level being particularly complex, and I remember thinking some levels were unnecesarily taxing on my hardware at the time.

LOL @ Bounce.avi.

One bug I noticed was that the basketball, being of only so many polygons, would quickly bounce on the ground forever if you threw it around enough. Lame, but true. Around the corner to tonnochi road, there's a triad member on the ledge, he's carrying the generic sword and something else, but you can't see it unless you ghost around the map loading point. I seem to remember a secret item cache on the base of the statue of liberty (in the shadows on the ground level) but never could find that again...one of the crates in the level does have things inside though, things you can't get at unless you ghost into it AFAIK. I'm afraid that's all I can think of.