Xesum's Nostalgic: "Do you remember this game" Thread

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Storm
UNATCO

Re: Xesum's Nostalgic: "Do you remember this game" Thread

Post by Storm »

nopushbutton wrote:For me? Tribes.
And I don't mean Tribes 2, which is the game most people mean when they refer to "Tribes."
I mean old-school Tribes. *sigh* :)

I've played a few on the list, too. Grim Fandango was excellent (though I remember it as being pretty short).

Fallout is great. Fallout 2 was good too, but it lacked polish.

Half Life 1 is awesome to play now and then. Flying down steel corridors blasting faces, and such an expansive mod community! I still play HL1 mods more than anything else.

Gosh, Unreal was the first FPS I'd played, and boy did I love it. The graphics were incredible back then. Also, if it hadn't been for Unreal, a certain other game we all know and love and a certain other nameless mod wouldn't exist :lol:
I heard unreal editing and modding isnt easy but i love the Unreal engine and gameplay. Al though i liked Doom, I never liked Quake much..it just..i dont know..put me off..something about it.
When the remarkable becomes bizarre, reason turns rancid.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

From what I gather Unreal Engine 2 modding is fine, but Unreal Engine 1 modding = absolute hell.

Not only trying to get stuff ingame (which I've thankfully never had to deal with much), but also because as soon as you put a model in the engine it looks like arse.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I can't remember Unreal very well, if only I could play it... :P

Ah it's on steam.

And yes it did say this:
Special graphical and performance enhancements for the latest 3D cards.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Oldie but goldie:

Anyone ever play Crusader: No Remorse?
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I wasn't a PC gamer, so I haven't played most games in this thread. I actually bought my first PC relatively recently (compared to the games in this thread), partly because I wanted to play Tribes 2, which was fairly old by then. I tried to play the most unique old PC games in retrospective. I think the only time I've played Doom was on an Atari Jaguar in a demo station in a music store; the controller had a couple dozen buttons, so coming from the SNES, I wasn't a fan. If anyone wants to talk Mighty Mike or Mr. Do's Castle I can join in more.

Lets see...cool PC games...Descent, VirtuaCop 2, Pirates, Shogo, Gun Metal, Messiah, Hostile Waters...fun stuff, but the last few came on CD and not floppies.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

Shenmue I & II

Best games ever next to Deus Ex.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I find it amazing no one has mentioned PS:T yet, therefore I will.

Oh yes, PS:T or unabbreviated, Planescape: Torment, one of the best RPG's of all time, mainly due to its brilliant writing and dialogue. I didn't play it at release, but it is an awesome game to this day, and it makes you hate most contemporary RPG's for their weak story and stale characters.

Ps: what can change the nature of a man?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I've never heard of Planescape: Torment untill you told me.

Let's do some research!

Ah, Black Isle.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Indeed, Black Isle, king amongst kings of Roleplaying.
And PS:T was their opus in my opinion. It was deep, entertaining and surprisingly beautiful for a 10 year old game.
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Why does everyone hate Daikatana?

Or am I the only person that is his bitch?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

People hate Daikatana because it was hyped to death by a game dev most people trusted, and ended up sucking.

Or atleast that is what I gather.
odio ergo sum
Senior Sporf
Mole Person

Post by Senior Sporf »

Sorry if I am sorta getting offtopic but here are some reasons why many people (including myself) dislikes Daikatana.

- Overhyped, and delayed.
- The ally AI was pretty horrible and usually ended up with them dying because they keep running into combat while you commanded them not to.
- Graphics even at the time were under-par and weren't all that comparable to Halo, Anarchorax, Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and yeah.
- The save gems feature which was down-right annoying as hell with the crappy AI.

Anyway is there any love for Strife on these forums? It was sorta like Deus Ex JR. with its RPG aspects and player choice. :smile:
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Eh... Oldies...
I'll call out the stuff from my 90s childhood.
Very early, Digger and Grand Prix Circuit, both of which have excellent gameplay.
NFS2SE, my first decent looking racing game, also has the best overall design.
Doom 2, my first fps, and Heretic that I got soon after that.
LBA2 just cause it was such a cool rpg implementation.
Warcraft 2, my favorite realtime strategy game.
Quake 2 was my first fully 3D fps which not only looked good compared to titles that used sprites, but also had pretty good arcade gameplay.
Diablo was fun too...
Fallout 1 & 2.
Stunts, the old racing game where you could quickly and easily create a racetrack with all sorts of obstacles.
Wolfenstein 3D just cause... and just cause later on it was the first game I mapped, textured, and sprited, which was my first ever modding experience.
Lemmings?
The Incredible Machine (TIM), possibly the coolest puzzle game ever, where you build Rube Goldberg type devices. Endless fun.

Unreal came around a bit later for me in 2000, however I will honor it because it had such beautiful graphics and so much ambiance to it.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

What I find fun is how people define the "old" in nostalgic, some think it has to be really old, some are satisfied with a couple of years ago, and then there are people like me, who ain't old enough to remember the really old to stupid (or young) to appreciate the gems when they got released and are left felling nostalgic for old things we played 2-3 years ago :)
odio ergo sum
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

You guys... aren't going all that far back.</shatner>

From that era, has anybody here played MDK? That was a really unique trip of a physics shooter with a protagonist with a really unique look. His helmet sported a sniper rifle, and the game boasted that you could make a head shot from up to 2 miles. It was kind of a puzzle game, like you had to shoot grenades into small holes from great distances to open doors, and more of a concept than anything else (an entire map with all mirror textures, for example). It wasn't all that great, but it was neat to play with for a while.

Of those y'all mentioned... Can't play much Quake because it gives me motion sickness. I loved Quake 2 though. Doom was OK, but I liked Doom 2 better. Better level design. Duke Nukem I preferred, because you could jump, and manipulate objects in the world, and then Blood. Hexen and Heretic were based on Doom, which was already outdated, so I didn't mess with them.

But I was mostly grown when those games came out. When I was a kid, NES was the new thing, and Atari was still cool. On the computer (an Amiga), my favorite game was called "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders", a point-and-click adventure in the style of the more popular Maniac Mansion. Zak was a tabloid reporter plagued by strange visions who uncovers a conspiracy by aliens led by an Elvis impersonator to stupefy the world through the phone company (by adding a buzzing tone to all phone conversations, I guess). Zak's a spiritual predecessor to DX in so many ways, with your character traveling around the world (and near the end of the game, to Mars). So many good things to say about the game. Sadly it had this wonky copy protection that required you to read a code from a sheet (black ink on dark maroon) every time you used the airport. The protection has been cracked, but to no complete extent and to the best of my knowledge, the game is now impossible to complete, obviously without that code sheet, but nobody's got one anymore.

Then of course there's always Hack, now NetHack. The Amiga port was really cool, it included a tile editor with several presets. I didn't play the original ASCII version until many years later. Oddly enough, the Amiga port had shortcuts to start the game as any of the six (at the time) classes, or a master shortcut that would let you choose.

Speaking of the Amiga, it had a cool feature even Windows 7 doesn't touch. All icons had two frames, idle and active. Disk icons would slide open, drawers would slide open (drawers were what the Amiga called folders, or directories), WordPerfect was a computer that would turn on - oh, and icons could be as large as a quarter of the screen, or at least that was the largest I saw. They were limited to 4 colors, if I remember right, but it was still impressive. Then again, AmigaDOS shut Bill Gates right up when he said you needed at least 8MB of RAM to multitask; the Amiga did it with just 512KB, although it had a frontside slot under its panel where you could plug a 2MB module in, and we had that, and it ran great.

And I'm only 29...
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.