Quitting

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Storm
UNATCO

Quitting

Post by Storm »

Any smokers here who have successfully managed to quit? How'd you do it?
When the remarkable becomes bizarre, reason turns rancid.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Re: Quitting

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I quit smoking pot five years ago. I did it by moving away from the people that were willing to share.

:(
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Good work quitting.. Pot is less convenient to get than regular smoke though..right? How did you stay off it for good though? I quit off and on..I've gone a couple of months without, but i cant just quit for good.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Never really became dependant on it, I guess. I was only a casual stoner, same way I was a casual drinker, and casual cigarette smoker at the time. It's what the crowd I was with did, so I joined in. Now the worst thing to go in me is (lots and lots of) caffeine. I can't stand the taste of beer or smell of tobacco smoke anymore, though pot smoke is significantly less unpleasant. Almost comforting and nostalgic. :P
Going cold turkey, and replacing it with something else is the best advice I can give you, and it's almost definitely completely awful advice. ;) I know I'm not the only person to use it, though. A local radio personality quit smoking recently by binge drinking- he smoked when he drank, so he decided that for one week whenever he wanted a smoke, he'd drink instead. He got completely, horribly fucked up, and by the end of it completely lost his taste for smoking.
For something a bit less negative to your health you could try gum or masturbating or (like me) caffeine. Whenever you feel like smoking, drink a soda or a tea instead. I saw in that other thread that apparently you're in some sort of warzone or another so I don't know if these things are readily available, of course...
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Jetsetlemming wrote: For something a bit less negative to your health you could try gum or masturbating or (like me) caffeine. Whenever you feel like smoking, drink a soda or a tea instead. I saw in that other thread that apparently you're in some sort of warzone or another so I don't know if these things are readily available, of course...
Lol.Im already a mild caffeine addict. And i guess gum would work. .We've got patches etc too.
Oh and i wouldnt call Pakistan a warzone. !! I live in the city.. See American forces infiltrated one of our provinces to get rid of the Taliban...And now our own countrys fighting them too since their threatening to take over and enforce extreme Sharia law. So the Taliban do randomly blow up important places in the developed cities as warnings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/world ... 0swat.html
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Oh, Pakistan. I assumed you were in Israel or Gaza or something. :P Didn't even know Pakistan HAD internet. I also didn't know Pakistan is apparently not already under extreme sharia law.
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Oh, Pakistan. I assumed you were in Israel or Gaza or something. :P Didn't even know Pakistan HAD internet. I also didn't know Pakistan is apparently not already under extreme sharia law.
Sadly, media never shows the development or good side of Pakistan.. We're anIislamic country..but its more like socially Islamic than enforced. We're not forced to cover our heads or anything. If Shariah happens, thatll be the case..In fact, not just that.it'll be much much worse..
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I've found caffeine addiction to be more difficult than alcohol. Alcohol for me was simple (don't buy more alcohol), but caffeine is impossible. I've given up. I'm still drinking caffeine-free cola and real tea to try and stop drinking cola.

With smoking, stopping entirely has worked so far for two people I know. You can buy herbal cigarettes, which are still unhealthy since it's smoking plants (high tar, carcinogens, etc), but the plants they use are non-nicotine and mostly harmless. I bought ginsing, menthol, honey something, and regular...if you're used to cigarettes having a good taste, these won't, but it'll address the smoking habit and make it more convincing that cigarettes taste bad.
Storm wrote:When the remarkable becomes bizarre, reason turns rancid.
I liked Alice. At the time, there were lots of similar FPS-type games, but games like DX and Alice used the medium to be interesting. Not just aliens attacking, shoot the aliens. I really should read Alice in Wonderland, since I'm told it's a real trip.
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

=D> Alice was great!!! It was a third person shooter though..mostly..But the story/elements and characters were really well done and transformed from the original story. And aaaaaaahh you've played the game but you never read Alice in Wonderland!!!!!! Read it at once!!!

The game did well commercially because after the millenium, "Gothic" and "dark" stuff suddenly became realllll trendy and cool. But the game was still darn good.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

The only problem with consuming caffeine is the caffeine headaches that come with NOT consuming caffeine. :P
I vastly prefer tea to soda, though. Not nearly as bad for your teeth, your breath, or your diet. I personally also prefer the taste.

Edit: Alice didn't do well for the same reason Undying didn't do well- at the time EA was extremely new to releasing M rated games and was frightened of being associated with "adult" products. They barely advertised either game at all as to try and avoid controversy.
If you haven't played Clive Barker's Undying I suggest you check it out. It's a great game, really very scary and awesome.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Alice in Wonderland is the book equalvilent of an Acid trip.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

Jetsetlemming wrote:The only problem with consuming caffeine is the caffeine headaches that come with NOT consuming caffeine. :P
I vastly prefer tea to soda, though. Not nearly as bad for your teeth, your breath, or your diet. I personally also prefer the taste.

Edit: Alice didn't do well for the same reason Undying didn't do well- at the time EA was extremely new to releasing M rated games and was frightened of being associated with "adult" products. They barely advertised either game at all as to try and avoid controversy.
If you haven't played Clive Barker's Undying I suggest you check it out. It's a great game, really very scary and awesome.
But Alice DID do pretty well... It has a pretty huge fan following..
And DO I remember Undying? I think i was about 12 when it was released but i played it. I cant forget those damn howlers and that Bethany ...And was there an Elizabeth too? and Aaron's creep ghost randomly popping up in that freaky manor! That game was depressing as hell too...
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

It didn't sell all that well when it was released, and release sales are the only ones that EA care about.
I personally got Alice and Undying packaged together for $10 around 2003 or so :P
Storm
UNATCO

Post by Storm »

A lot of people started torrenting after Broadband and Torrents..Hence the drop in sales I think..Not sure when torrents started though.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Torrents don't effect sales. Especially not in 2001, seeing as it became popular in 2002. Piracy has never, ever had a real measurable effect on sales or profits though. Pirates are by and large people who couldn't (or rarely, wouldn't) by the game anyway, due to circumstances. The guy in southeast Asia where there's no copies available but bootleg, the jobless teenager, the INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE guy, none of these people would pay for the product in any situation. People get all butthurt over it because they're offended by it, but their wallets aren't. ;)