DX question

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DX question

Post by Guest »

Im playing through the game and so far Ive been stunning/taking down characters in a non-lethal fashion....my question is, if you complete the game without killing anyone, does the game give you a cut-scene or something like that? or should I just not waste time with this non-llethal thing
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

It's just a distinction in how you play the game. At a number of points, it will matter how many people you kill when talking to people later (your brother may reprimand you, etc), but it doesn't change any outcomes I can think of. I think it might net you some extra equipment at some point, I'd be something I don't remember, I can just think of a few instances when _saying_ you're non-violent nets you assistance (gas grenades, info about secret passages, etc). Personally, I like the non-leathal approach, the game encourages empathy with even the MJ12 troops.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Non-lethality is a great way to vary your game experience when you've already tried the manslaughter approach. I do recall one instance where it gives you better equipment: Sam Carter will hold back on some of the equipment if you kill everybody in Castle Clinton.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

you can not play the game without killing unfortunatly. anna navarra you have to take out as she seems to me not affected by tranq-darts or the stun-prod. i could be wrong on that one but playing it through not lethal a couple of times i always had to nail her to proceed.

otherwise there is no reward like mentioned except people later on in the game still able to help you or talk to you. it's different in DXIW where it killing certain people (the crazy leader of the templars) can block off certain endings, which is not the case here.

it hence simply enrichens your gaming experience if you try it that way. much more enjoyable like that. ;)
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You can get past Anna without killing her by exploiting the AI a little. Throw a gas grenade up there, and she should run out through the locked door, opening it on the way. If she doesn't, try it again until it works.

The game will assume you killed her though, so it's a little silly.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

It's too bad they left that open though, non-lethal approaches don't change an ending. They made it part of the story and dialog, but things like tranquilizers enabling flags like character-1=dead is too simplistic. More could have been done with it, but one does empithize with the characters, Anna seems to care for JC (depending on your fighting style), Gunther cares greatly for Anna, etc.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

"Anna Navarra likes your style, you'd make a great couple.." - UNATCO troop

If only it were possible to take that further. Imagine what would happen in China!! hahaha...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

China? Yeah, would have been interesting if she had switched sides and went over to Tong's compound. They probably would have had another "Go on without me" at the 'ton type episode again though, she'd have gotten the plague or be killed by Gunther somehow. But it would have worked better than the "old generation tech" just dying off like that; I guess they weren't meant to be too human though. "I am not a machine!" (boom)

She did say to Manderly that JC should take her mission at one point (if you kill everyone), and she does come to "watch you die" (touching, in an twisted way....it's how she says it I think).

I'll always remember playing through as a "badass", killing everyone, and Anna going and exploding right next to Lebidev, oops.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Jeez people, Anna Navarre. It's wrong in the upload manager, too.

:D

Not like you didn't know this already, but the only person you have to deal with is Howard Strong. My personal favourite way of getting past Anna at Unatco is to lead her into Manderley's office, which she seems to have difficulty getting out of for some reason. Then whack Alex with your baton until he panics, and herd him up to the door.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Ajare wrote:Then whack Alex with your baton until he panics, and herd him up to the door.
Lol! I'll try that next time :D
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

LOL, very good. That should have been an option the game knew about. Beat the crap out of the guy until he's helpful.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

EER wrote:
Ajare wrote:Then whack Alex with your baton until he panics, and herd him up to the door.
Lol! I'll try that next time :D
really nice little glitch... that should prove to be very funny :lol:
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others