any other FPS/RPGs out there?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It may seem silly to have so many narrow subgenre definitions, but it can be useful in several situations. Mostly on the critic side, if you need to analyse a story in any way, it's useful to have some words to apply to it so people will know what you're talking about. Also, if you're making a game, categorizing your ideas can make it easier to explain to your team what you want.

Assuming you have a team.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Wokky
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Wokky »

However, knowledge of exactly what all these *punk terms mean isn't particularly widespread, so wouldn't it be easier to describe the stories on a case-by-case basis? The same goes for game creation, there's little point in telling your teammates that you're aiming for a "blue cyberpunk/post-cyberpunk mix, with some steampunk elements" if you can just talk about the specifics of your game in particular instead. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Whatever.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Jonas wrote:Assuming you have a team.
<.=.<

what's that now supposed to mean... :lol:
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It sounds like you're the only one working on your game, in which case communication won't really be an issue :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Jonas wrote:It sounds like you're the only one working on your game, in which case communication won't really be an issue :)
i'm the only one coding, but working there are two more, we just keep communication down to ICQ ;)
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Cyberpunk can refer to anything. I created the colour system to sort out the feelings and environments as i said, Not to define the media themselves. The punk stuff can definately be broken down, I've actually have been doing so by defining each genre to a point.

Unfortunately there isn't any information that tells us elsewise. However in a game environment, you would not refer to the media but to the feelings and features of what you're exactly looking for. Thus why i invented the colour system, cause I hate having to analyse the stuff over and over again, its a lot easier to remember the stuff that way ;)
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

i don't know but that somehow doesn't feel right to me. in programming you can break down technics into names like Visitor Pattern, Observer Pattern and alike but what makes stories alive is that they are not just a 'pattern' that has a name... that's boring... where's the freedom? or is CP just about all the time all the same stories without variations and ideas?
Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

On the topic of games like DX, there was a game called "The Creed" which was extremely buggy but in the same vein ( http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3534 ). Also there was a game called "Chrome" which was superficially similar to DX (it had implants etc) but had a pretty limp story.

Wow, looks like a lot of talk on cyberpunk. I'm surprised no one mentioned Blade Runner yet. Along w/ Neuromancer, it fathered the (sub) genre. I think Scott Paolicetti (DX's main writer) mentioned he was inspired by Neuromancer and Blade Runner....

(off topic , but http://www.machinima.com/films.php?id=444 for a very nice video-game interpretation of BR)

-Moonbo (GRF)

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Moonbo wrote:Scott Paolicetti
*Sheldon Pacotti
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

100!

and back on topic:
Blade Runner, I have that lying around somewhere here, it came with a French Game Magazine once.

Unfortunately, the game was French as well, so I didn't have a clue what the hell I was supposed to do.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Blade Runner was an excellent movie and a classic example of cyberpunk. Very early cyberpunk, even.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

The game is great too..

BTW i found out that in the new Game "The Movies" that just came out, you can definately make Cyberpunk. I made a cool one last night...