What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by gamer0004 »

That game looks awesome. I tried the demo but I couldn't make head or tail of it. I had absolutely no idea what I could or should do. Is there a good in-game tutorial?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

gamer0004 wrote:That game looks awesome. I tried the demo but I couldn't make head or tail of it. I had absolutely no idea what I could or should do. Is there a good in-game tutorial?
There is one, but it's not very good. I think the best way to learn to play the game is to read an lp. If you want a recommendation, the one that made me start playing was: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... s-2.70403/ (some of the later pages may not be entirely SFW, and the codex in general should not be browsed while judging eyes may see)

The game also has a problem with frontloading a lot of information, most of which isn't very necessary to know(but there's no way to know that the first time you play). For example, as soon as you start you'll find that you have a bunch of vassals and courtiers and territory and you have to pick an ambition and maybe you should get married and that title might pass from your realm etc. After playing for like an hour you learn to sieve the information for what you need to care about, what will fix it self and what you can safely ignore. Actually, I'd say that once you acclimatize to the interface the game is surprisingly shallow. Still fun though.
AEmer wrote:wtf have you been feeding the danes?
They fed themselves on pagan blood. Thankfully, most of their land is complete shit. And they also don't seem very interested in taking action against me.
bobby 55 wrote:Holy crap! I suppose the game doesn't allow assassins to bump off a few of those 'revolting' vassals?
It does(in fact, you can attempt to assassinate anyone anytime assuming you have the gold). But it doesn't really solve the problem in the long term, cause while their current revolt will end, their successor will probably wind up hating you as well. And the cost is too high to use it on all of them.

I did manage to quell the rebellions by giving away a few of my duchies. Apparently, duchies are magical and if a king/emperor holds more than 2 his or her vassals become very pissed off. If you're just a duke it's ok to hold as many as you like though. It's a pretty obscure mechanic, and afaik it's the worst in that regard.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers, I guess things were just as complicated and knife-edgey for the nobles who actually lived in those times.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

They fed themselves on pagan blood.
That is like catnip to us.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I had a mad urge to play Half Life 1 this morning. After 2 plus hours of searching for and installing graphics/textures/sound mods, I believe the time to be well spent. Barney and the scientists have decent representations of hands now. Yay. I'm too early into the game to see how the aliens and weapons look yet.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Not played Half Life 1 in ages! What mods are you using? I know of one or two but I'm curious. :P
I have been playing a Mod for Half Life 1 recently, called Sven Co-op. Basically, Co-Op Half Life = Tons of Fun with friends! :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I have three installed: sd pack; overhaul; Diamond D.

If you click on the Half Life forums link in your Steam Library, there's a stickied "graphics" topic. Go to page three of that thread and someone has explained how to install them, and in what order for the best results. The hands of the NPC's are soooo much better. I haven't noticed a great change in the aliens but it's been a while since I've played HL 1.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

bobby 55 wrote:I have three installed: sd pack; overhaul; Diamond D.

If you click on the Half Life forums link in your Steam Library, there's a stickied "graphics" topic. Go to page three of that thread and someone has explained how to install them, and in what order for the best results. The hands of the NPC's are soooo much better. I haven't noticed a great change in the aliens but it's been a while since I've played HL 1.
Awesome! Thanks! :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

As of late I've been playing Civ V before I get Gods & Kings. It's still not the best Civ game (an honour I'd wager will stay with Civ IV: BTS for a long time), but it's fun since I'm so far out of practice with Civ IV.

The other day, I finally got around to playing Cave Story. Still need to finish it, but it's an extremely good game. Superb story, fun to play.

....And my current Gamefly rental is Shadows of the Damned. Not the best game ever, but it's fun. It's certainly rental material, though I can't say that I would advise buying it if it's being sold for anything more than $10-$15.

Rather off-topic, but it's great to post without having to punch in a Captcha. I suppose I need to stay off of 4chan for a while.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

I hate Battlefield 3.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Civ5 is fun but...uh...well, honestly, I don't feel the AI or the balance work.

It's fun for the civilisation building aspects, but the competition with other civilisations don't really do it for me.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

Gonna play Max Payne 3 soon, now that I have so much hard drive space.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Finally managed to get most of my games back on. Currently I'm playing Mount & Blade: Warband, Civ V, Max Payne 2, Mafia 2, Just Cause 2, and Far Cry 2, replaying the Deus Ex's, Psychonauts and Alpha Protocol.

I have a problem of playing too many games at one time, and never completing any of them.

I've also managed to get Fallout New Vegas to work with a plethora of mods without crashing - I think I deserve an award.
On the multiplayer side, I've got back into Blacklight: Retribution now it's come on Steam, but I made a new account so now everyone thinks that I'm a noob, then they get surprised when I get to 1st place. :D . Other than that, there's Tribes Ascend and Red Orchestra 2.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yay payday. I bought Batman: Arkham City from Steam. Are there any tricks to get it running with that ferking GFWL?

Fuck you GFWL!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

This is where I'd generally make some sort of obscure reference to the cove of yarr! but afail, those versions also have gfwl.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum