What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:This is where I'd generally make some sort of obscure reference to the cove of yarr! but afail, those versions also have gfwl.

It did cross my mind. I activated it okay then once Godawful started it didn't recognize my two profiles that just happened to work with previous GFWL games. After making another account and going through changing passwords it asks me for a product key. The fuck? I had to activate it to get to here you fucking piece of shit.

Anyhow there's 4 characters missing from the last piece of the product code/cd key on Steam's thing. I paid for Arkham City with paypal this time so maybe the rest of that code will appear in a day or two when the transaction is completed.

Added: Bless our fellow gamers who come up with easy legal solutions, and pass on their knowledge. GFWL you still suck.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Easy legal solution to get rid of GFWL? Please tell me more o wise man
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

gamer0004 wrote:Easy legal solution to get rid of GFWL? Please tell me more o wise man

I wish I could get rid of it. To circumvent it's continuous asking for a product key that you had to activate before the game launched: create a local profile when it asks you for either a profile you have, or for the creation of a new one. It stops asking for a key/product code and it lets you save your game. I think what happens is the original activation gets hooked up with a previous profile so GFWL thinks you're trying something "iffy". The fact it didn't recognize my original profiles and passwords is what really pissed me off.

Added: There is an option for passwords to expire after 72 days on Live, though I know I didn't click on that. Maybe that has something to do with Godawful fucking me around. *shrugs shoulders*
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

If you set GFWL to sign in automatically whenever you start. You can just press the home key when it asks for your product key. It'll recognize anything you do, but still be registered offline. But itll also appear when you go online. It's very strange.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It can get worse: I happily played FO3 (a game that came without GFWL) for months, then later played Red Faction Guerilla (a game that forced me to make a local GFWL profile to even begin the fucker), and when I went back to FO3, GFWL decided it wanted to run that, too. And thus I had no savegames, because when run under GFWL, they're stored somewhere else.

I managed to find them and shift them to the GFWL folder, but never worked out how to stop GFWL demanding tribute for games it wasn't even supposed to be linked to.

It really is the dumbest, worst coded, most unnecessary piece of garbage.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

bobby 55 wrote:Yay payday. I bought Batman: Arkham City from Steam. Are there any tricks to get it running with that ferking GFWL?

Fuck you GFWL!
I'm confused by all the problems people have with GFWL. I'm not saying it's a good service, I'm just saying I've never used it. I have Bastion, Grand Theft Auto 4, Arkham City, Arkham Asylum, Bioshock1, Bioshock 2, etc. on steam.

For all of them whenever the login screen for GFWL comes up I just press escape and play normally without ever logging in, having to give a product key, or anything. Am I missing something? By doing that I've played through and beaten pretty much all of those games with no issues.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I suspect if one day, any day, you accidentally forget to press escape, GFWL will then decide to facerape all of your games forever.

I wish you luck in your diligence, sir. :/
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Sounds weird. Afaik, if you press escape, you should not be able to get past the stupid console splash screen on most games. Good for you if you got past it though.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I tried that (playing without a profile) with Arkham city but wasn't allowed to save my game, and had to start a new game a couple of times. Origin with ME 3 was a seamless experience. Steam rulz. :)

Extra: The last 4 characters of the code are still missing when I checked on Steam just now. More anti-piracy? My point is I can't manually give GFWL the code it wants anyway, unless I can copy paste or whatever from the clipboard... an option I'm not getting. Thanks Shadowblade, I'll press Home when the local profile comes up and have a look-see.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

All you need to know is that GFWL encrypts your saves in a way that makes them unusable when you upgrade your OS, and does many other horrible, horrible things.

Anyway, anybody here heard of "Yesterday"? I'm considering playing it again. It's one of the most interesting point and clicks I've ever played. It reminds me a bit of XIII, in a way. The whole cel-shaded style and plot mostly centered around the amnesiac protagonist.

Aside from that, Civ IV.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Audiosurf is something I play quite regularly, I play a little bit of Battlefield 3 now and then, and I'm looking at finishing my 12th (or something like that. I lost count, just going to assume it's annual.) playthrough of Deus Ex. Problem is I don't know how I'd play it differently, I've used Shifter, Revision, Biomod, etc., I've played it non-lethaly, I've done a playthrough without using the DTS, and I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Give it a shot with no skills or augmentations.

Someone with your veterancy should be able to do it without too much sweat.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

That's a good idea actually. I'll get on it.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Jaedar wrote:Crusader kings 2.

Fucking succession man. First both my ruler and my heir die within the span of a week causing a very annoying succession problem and I wind up playing a woman(just like medieval europe, this game is very sexist. Also good men for breeding are way harder to come by). And because she was married the regular way I had to kill off my husband so I could get a new matrilinear one to be able to continue my dynasty. And then she dies before her heir is 10 years old so I wind up playing a kid and then half my vassals rebel and then poland invades :evil:

Well, at least he's adult now and hasn't lost much except for time.
You sir have convinced me to finally install that game. I've loved every single paradox grand strategy ever, my only reason for not playing it yet is due to time- I've been too busy with maya and photoshop.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jaedar wrote:Sounds weird. Afaik, if you press escape, you should not be able to get past the stupid console splash screen on most games. Good for you if you got past it though.
I admit that I do pirate on occasion, so maybe at one time I downloaded a game that required GFWL and it came with a crack that effects the GFWL program as a whole. So I guess it doesn't exactly fit the "legal' solution.

What happens is I press escape, and it briefly shows a little notification of something like: "player1 logged in", and then I never see GFWL for the rest of the play time.
Seems weird if it was a pirate crack thing, because you'd think Steam or Microsoft would notice it; or a game I buy would force an updated security version or something.