What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers AEmer. I was thinking about the game since posting my question and thought it may pay to level up a bit in case like Fallout: New Vegas there a things a lower level character can't handle out in the wilds.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Skyrim gives you the tools you need to handle every encounter right off the bat.

You're correct that there are wild animals and other things that can kill you if you aren't prepared, but you can just run away from the things that are too tough, or avoid them.

It's much more forgiving than new vegas like that.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AEmer wrote:Skyrim gives you the tools you need to handle every encounter right off the bat.

You're correct that there are wild animals and other things that can kill you if you aren't prepared, but you can just run away from the things that are too tough, or avoid them.

It's much more forgiving than new vegas like that.
Thanks for the info. It's good to know I won't, er...make that don't have to, suffer insta-death for being a novice.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Well....just don't get yourself eaten by a grizzly bear, and you'll be fine.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I just aquired the longest journey.

I'm not quite sure what to think. So far, I've learned a whole lot about people who don't really mean anything to me, and the adventure elements have been incredibly light weight.

I keep feeling as if the dialogue is reall un-interactive. I mean, I can choose not to hear it, and on occasion I can spare someones feelings but...that's it, and after I'm about an hour in, that's pretty weak for this story-driven a game...

Probably worse, the game is trying really hard to build up atmosphere, but I just don't really feel it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Just because it's story-driven doesn't mean it has to be branching, dynamic, or in any way interactive story.

In fact some would argue the lack of interaction permits a stronger, more coherent and author-driven narrative.

However I agree with you and I never made it very far in Dreamfall myself. That was mostly because I bumped up against one of the worst designed stealth puzzles I've ever encountered, though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

So, I got Saints Row 3 in the summer sale the other day and beat it yesterday. Got Skyrim from Gamefly yesterday as well, so I'm playing that now.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Kee715 wrote:So, I got Saints Row 3 in the summer sale the other day and beat it yesterday. Got Skyrim from Gamefly yesterday as well, so I'm playing that now.
I have just started Skyrim myself. It looks amazing and I've only got "medium" display settings. It's kinda familiar, in the mechanics I mean, there's a little bit of a few Bethesda games I've played there.

I went with Redguard and I'll try to max out his archery and destruction, along with light armor and eventually dual wielding. Oh, and I'll try to link to a screenie of him in a bit so you Nordic peeps can laugh at an Australian's version of a badass Norseman. :P

Presenting: Baldigar http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/938 ... 71D6989FE/
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Quickly, get DKS in the next 30 minutes.

And well, Dreamfall WAS aweful. I completed it, but yeah, it was pretty pretty bad.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:Just because it's story-driven doesn't mean it has to be branching, dynamic, or in any way interactive story.

In fact some would argue the lack of interaction permits a stronger, more coherent and author-driven narrative.
I don't disagree with that... but that's not really what I was getting at.

The issue isn't the that longest journey is story driven and lacks interaction. The issue is that the longest journey is _ridiculously_ story driven, to the point where it has nothing else going for it, _and_ it lacks interactivity in it.

I mean...you're right, choosing a linear path of narrative interaction in order to incorporate a stronger and more coherent and author driven narrative than it otherwise would have, that would be absolutely fine in most games. It's just not fine in this one.

That's what I mean by a game _this_ story-driven. I mean, there's absolutely no player agency. You're not tasked with something in the first _hour_ of the game other than going to your studio and painting something. Your only agency is your ability to skip conversations, but the game is clearly designed to be rewarding via its atmosphere, so if you do that, why are you even playing it?

I could even accept an hour long tutorial where I learned a lot of game mechanics, I'm a pretty patient gamer, but at least then I know that I will get to do something at some point.

My criticism is, when a game wants to be about the story and just the story, when it doesn't want to give me a proper task, when it has nothing but a bumbling progression from conversation to conversation, it absolutely flipping needs to have an _interactive_ story to give me the agency I need to care.

If I want this specific type of interaction, I'll read a comic book, because at least that doesn't have a weird 2nd person kind of angle on the story that clunks up the dialogue and makes it feel unnatural.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I completely agree with you of course :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

I've been playing quite a bit of Mount & Blade and Thief lately, playing Alpha Protocol for the 4th time and I'm doing my 6th playthrough of TNM.

I have to say, M&B seriously needs more quests. They get real repetitive real quick.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

Been playing Fallout: New Vegas with Project Nevada and ADAM, + several other mods but ADAM and PN are the biggest parts of it.

So I introduce you to Todd Farlen, badass wasteland cyborg cowboy, just after he's blasted Mr. House in the face: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SeriousFre ... 4449102593

(Armor is retextured Desert Ranger Armor + Prototype Riot Helmet, both from ADAM. Also is wearing a leather backpack courtesy of Project Nevada.)

(I can take a screenshot of him without the armor later, if you want, but he looks significantly less badass)
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

He does look cyborg/Darth Vader (ish), and totally badass. A screenie showing his face would be good.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

OK, I'll post two in a sec.

Pre-OWB: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SeriousFre ... 4458662969

Post-OWB: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SeriousFre ... 4458670649

(In case you're wondering, house is Underground Hideout New Vegas by danthegeek.)

Don't challenge him to a fight. His Enhanced Reflexes augs (Or "Implants", added by Project Nevada) will destroy you.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret