What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: What are you playing?

Post by DaveW »

itsmydamnation wrote:do you want it with new art assets ( my main oblivion modded game sits at about 20gig) or just OBGE? i'll just stick to just OBGE that way its a direct comparison :smile:
Just OBGE - I'm sure the art assets improve it but I was mainly disputing that OBGE is a better renderer than Creation Engine.
itsmydamnation
Thug

Post by itsmydamnation »

ok here are 3 youtube vids. compression hurts it a fair bit and i seem a bit hyperactive......lol

first is default oblivion using HDR rendering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2xhY2PrbMQ&hd=1

the second is OBGEv3 with no additional shaders loaded only replacements using linear HDR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEXXrwMk2k&hd=1

the third is OBGEv3 with no additional shaders like above but not clamping HDR which looks more vibrant but at the same time not "real"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cg8b2sTTSI&hd=1

these are just quick and dirty which only really show the changes in water/reflections and HDR. Tomorrow i will get some of the sky POM and Skin SSS, then i will chuck on a few shaders, like lightshafts, SSAO , DOF AA etc
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

@Hassat;
Congrats on finishing 1.8!
I've only just got back from my holiday so I can give it a spin soon! :mrgreen:

EDIT: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/26/commu ... public-ii/
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

nerdenstein wrote:@Hassat;
I've only just got back from my holiday so I can give it a spin soon! :mrgreen:

EDIT: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/26/commu ... public-ii/
I felt a disturbance in the Force internet, it was if a million voices cried out "ooooh, must get".
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

itsmydamnation wrote:in the short time we have been subjected to DCL, has it ever been a good thing?
I personally think New Vegas had amazing DLC. Because of how DLC works, they were able to create sort of an episodic story, in the background of the main one. And that story was great.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

itsmydamnation wrote:ok here are 3 youtube vids. compression hurts it a fair bit and i seem a bit hyperactive......lol

the second is OBGEv3 with no additional shaders loaded only replacements using linear HDR

the third is OBGEv3 with no additional shaders like above but not clamping HDR which looks more vibrant but at the same time not "real"

these are just quick and dirty which only really show the changes in water/reflections and HDR. Tomorrow i will get some of the sky POM and Skin SSS, then i will chuck on a few shaders, like lightshafts, SSAO , DOF AA etc
The first one looks awful since the water isn't reflecting anything. Second one is an improvement but the water still lacks some of the detail and realism Skyrim's has. It does look a hell of a lot better than the original but it still looks like the water from Far Cry. If you look at Skyrim's there's a lot more large-scale detail that looks like small waves on the surface.
itsmydamnation
Thug

Post by itsmydamnation »

DaveW wrote:
itsmydamnation wrote:ok here are 3 youtube vids. compression hurts it a fair bit and i seem a bit hyperactive......lol

The first one looks awful since the water isn't reflecting anything. Second one is an improvement but the water still lacks some of the detail and realism Skyrim's has. It does look a hell of a lot better than the original but it still looks like the water from Far Cry. If you look at Skyrim's there's a lot more large-scale detail that looks like small waves on the surface.
first a screenshot has way less compression then youtube, there is a lot of detail lost in the YT vids.

heres something a bit better in terms of effort,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_VFtjn9Uo&hd=1
you loose a lot in the youtube encode so i put the source up on my FTP server (200mb)
ftp://static.daddylonglegs.info
user:public
no password.

theres nothing in that water that cant be done in OBGE, and OBGE water is location based. the user controlled variable for water in OBGE are

Code: Select all

set OBGEWater.choppiness		
set OBGEWater.waveWidth 		
set OBGEWater.waveSpeed 		
set OBGEWater.reflectivity		
set OBGEWater.causticsStrength	
set OBGEWater.shoreFactor		
set OBGEWater.turbidity 		
set OBGEWater.inScattCoeff		
set OBGEWater.inExtCoeff_R		
set OBGEWater.inExtCoeff_G		
set OBGEWater.inExtCoeff_B		
set OBGEWater.depthDarkness 	
set OBGEWater.LODdistance		
set OBGEWater.MinLOD	
between those you can create rolling waves in a storm, to perfectly calm to choppy as hell and everything in-between.

edit: im also in a still lake, if i go to a river you will see alot more variance in the movement and thus everything based off that
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

Nice roguelike. Cool tiles, shame about no audio.

And I see another playthrough of kotor2 will be necessary.

Basically finished E.y.e. The final secret ending was.... disappointing.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

I'm building a town in New Vegas. I love RTS + Wasteland Defense.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

itsmydamnation wrote: first a screenshot has way less compression then youtube, there is a lot of detail lost in the YT vids.

you loose a lot in the youtube encode so i put the source up on my FTP server (200mb)
no password.

theres nothing in that water that cant be done in OBGE, and OBGE water is location based. the user controlled variable for water in OBGE are

between those you can create rolling waves in a storm, to perfectly calm to choppy as hell and everything in-between.

edit: im also in a still lake, if i go to a river you will see alot more variance in the movement and thus everything based off that

It's not the compression - the problems I can see with it are visible even at SD. I'm not saying OBGE isn't an improvement over Oblivion (your video clearly demonstrates that it is) - just that it's not better than Skyrim, probably because the lighting system is rubbish in Oblivion. Plus - all the fancy shaders aside (which do not make for a 'good' renderer), the underlying rendering system of Skyrim is more than likely better in terms of like-for-like performance than OBGE.

It's like throwing a bunch of shaders like DOF and SSAO at Deus Ex. It'll look better, but it won't be Human Revolution.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

I beat New Vegas! Goddamn though that was the longest run of any game I've ever played.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

#-o Again!
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

New Vegas is a fantastic game, best this gen imo. Be sure to get the gun runners DLC for your next playthrough it is super cheap. You get like 40 new guns, 40 new melee weapons + some more weapons mods. Best DLC ever.

Myself I am playing Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow on an emulator. Pretty cool game but no others in the series can match up to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and sadly that is the only reason I played most of them, to find one that did.

I'd take the next in the series and pimp it out to near perfection if given the chance. :cry:
itsmydamnation
Thug

Post by itsmydamnation »

DaveW wrote:
itsmydamnation wrote: first a screenshot has way less compression then youtube, there is a lot of detail lost in the YT vids.

no password.

It's not the compression - the problems I can see with it are visible even at SD. I'm not saying OBGE isn't an improvement over Oblivion (your video clearly demonstrates that it is) - just that it's not better than Skyrim, probably because the lighting system is rubbish in Oblivion. Plus - all the fancy shaders aside (which do not make for a 'good' renderer), the underlying rendering system of Skyrim is more than likely better in terms of like-for-like performance than OBGE.

It's like throwing a bunch of shaders like DOF and SSAO at Deus Ex. It'll look better, but it won't be Human Revolution.
Skyrim's render is better in a few area's like oblivion does no back face culling and its culling in general is very poor ( oblivion relies on its LOD system for this and so does skyrim but not as badly)! But skyrims system is also designed for a 240GFLOP system with sweet FA memory bandwidth.

the lighting system in skyrim isn't better then OBGE thats largely a factory of compute power, things like the shadowing systems on the other hand, there are no soft shadows in oblivion (HDAO and SSGI help/make it less obvious particularly indoors ( also remembering these aren't post process in OBGE)) , because there was no real sun shadows are rather static don't move with it etc.

look on morrobilvion, you can convert oblivion's games datan into skyrim engine very easily (except for books...lol), i have and i know which one i think looks better.

it also is a matter of compression in the YT video there is a massive amount of detail lost, detail that separates it from skyrim (this goes back to the 240GFLOP vs 2TFLOP GPU) its just blurred and smoothed over (hell even the original 8mbit H264 has some visible lost detail) and i can see from my FTP server logs you didn't watch :/ ( I have 20mbit upload so it would only take a minute or two).

also modern renders are all "fancy shaders" that's why in the time since oblivion came out(and x360) to now we have around a 6 times shader count increase while getting close to double the efficiency per ALU ( better branching more flexible execution, bigger LDS's better caching systems etc) while most other areas (ROP etc) have had around a doubling with very little performance per unit increase on common formats (A16R16G16B16 etc) . That's why from DX9 to DX11 the biggest changes are in the ALU's ( direct compute etc), its why people like tim sweeney want Full software render pipelines ( something like intels failed larrabee). But most notably its why oblivion has something like 80 shaders and Skyrim has over 600. Texture units texture, ROP's rasterize and do anti aliasing everything else is a shader ( hell even geometry is (geometry/hull/domain shaders)).

interestingly oblivion uses the same shader for Lod as it does for rendering armor! to make the new lod shaders work OBGE couldn't just replace the existing lod/armor shader a new shader had to be ejected within the pipeline.

they guy who made OBGE (ethatron) (i am alpha/beta tester) has also done a bit of work on the skyrim engine ( the Skyrim LoD repleacement meshes and highmaps ) and his general line of though (from analysing the assembler) is that the skyrim render isn't much better then base oblivion. What's better is the scripting engine and art/asset creation pipeline and when you consider that the target hardware platform is the same and the understanding of programing DX9 hardware vs multithreaded game engines that makes perfect sense.

dont know why i put the effort in, you made up your mind before the conversation even began.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

nerdenstein wrote:@Hassat;
Thanks. Finally back to other games, eh. Well, not yet, still some final mods to produce for the mod (I do that apparently :P). AC is the most likely candidate...
bobby 55 wrote:I felt a disturbance in the Force internet, it was if a million voices cried out "ooooh, must get".
Except for those who have big Oblivion vs. Skyrim debates. Oblivion is really boring, waste of my 60 bucks. Hence waiting for Skyrim to be cheaper as some 'compensation'... 25 euro just isn't low enough. As bonus, probably get free DLC with it...
itsmydamnation wrote:in the short time we have been subjected to DCL, has it ever been a good thing?
Well, there was DX:HR's. But yeah, good DLC is rare.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...