What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:
AgentOrange wrote:instead ended with you flying into outer space and commandeering a Ballistic Orbital Nuclear Missile Base and bombing them with that.
Hmm... sounds oddly familiar...
Poor old Game Spy have been obliterated for realz. I feel sorry for the people losing their jobs. Not Silverdawn though, he's a mean SOB.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

Jonas wrote:
AgentOrange wrote:instead ended with you flying into outer space and commandeering a Ballistic Orbital Nuclear Missile Base and bombing them with that.
Hmm... sounds oddly familiar...
Obviously, JSawyer is a time traveler, and attempted to steal the concept for the ending of TNM to use it in Fallout 3, but had his evil plan ruined by Interplay.

Still, Van Buren had a lot of cool shit, like Victor Presper, The Nursery, and the AI, DIANA. It's a lot of potential for future stories in the Fallout universe.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@ AO

How are you playing fallout tactics? Difficulty level? TBS or real time? Iron man?
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

AEmer wrote:@ AO

How are you playing fallout tactics? Difficulty level? TBS or real time? Iron man?
Normal difficulty, Real Time, Iron Man Disabled.

Anyway this game handles addiction terribly. I was doing the shitty stealth mission (The second mission in the game) and since a grand total of one (Possibly two, with the Main Character) unit is good for stealth at that point, I just said "Fuck it" and decided to charge in with my main character. In hind sight, I should have sent more than my main character in there, but with a bit of (Performance Enhancing Chewing Gum???) chems, it worked. But now I'm addicted to the (NARCOTIC RED CHEWING GUM?!?) drug and I can't get rid of it by waiting a few days because there is no wait function in Fallout Tactics and there are no doctors that can cure addiction.

So here I am. I have to wander the wastes aimlessly for a few days until I get over my addiction. I don't know, it's not actually bad, but it's not that good, either. It's just kind of endearing.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I recommend easy iron man real time. I found that thoroughly enjoyable...although you might not want to do that on your first try.

The key to the game is setting up in positions where it's safe ahead of time. You don't have the time to order your dudes around as the actions is going down, generally, but when you have 5 dudes firing squad style set up correctly, you're like to mow down the opposition like it's nothing.

You can totally get pretty far with just your PC and charging in, but I would recommend against it; you'll get into trouble later, and it's not as enjoyable to play that way. The game emphasizes the idea of the 'plan' better than any other. You deconstruct the area you're going to fight in, you examine it, then you sneak your guys in, then when you're good and ready you take them all down quick and easy.

The first few missions show you the ropes, and having one character be a designated 'commando' isn't a terrible idea, but fallout tactics does exactly one thing better than any other game, and that's allowing you to plan ahead of time and rewarding that.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I enjoyed Fallout Tactics and I'm glad to see some discussion on it. I find it's a bit of a drag though, ultimately. I mean, the combat becomes quite repetitive. Maybe I just need to play it again and look for some depth. INeverthless I think one really should play it in real-time mode (or whatever it's called), it may be harder but it's a lot more interesting. I think I kept my savegames somewhere from my last playthrough (back in 2008 lol), might play it again sometime.

I'm thinking of playing Redsun2020 or ZODIAC with my next DX reinstall...yay or nay?
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Playing the new Tomb Raider reboot. It's a bit weird. Lots of quick time events at the beginning but it's starting to open up. Lara as a character is nothing like you remember her from the old days but I think it sort of works; I think it's building the character up to be this hardened adventurer.
If you fail a jump or a quick time event, the deaths can be pretty brutal too.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

nerdenstein wrote:Playing the new Tomb Raider reboot. It's a bit weird. Lots of quick time events at the beginning but it's starting to open up. Lara as a character is nothing like you remember her from the old days but I think it sort of works; I think it's building the character up to be this hardened adventurer.
If you fail a jump or a quick time event, the deaths can be pretty brutal too.
What's with the hair I've been reading about? :)

I've been playing the beta of Expeditions: Conquistador. Although I kinda suck at the game I'm enjoying it. The writing and music are great and it's a solid game all-round.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

bobby 55 wrote:What's with the hair I've been reading about?
That's a PC exclusive setting (that lags like hell on my computer) that gives Lara 'nice' hair. :lol:
Basically, it's where the game renders every single strand of hair and it moves realistically. It looks alright but as I say, laggy.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

nerdenstein wrote:
That's a PC exclusive setting (that lags like hell on my computer) that gives Lara 'nice' hair. :lol:
Basically, it's where the game renders every single strand of hair and it moves realistically. It looks alright but as I say, laggy.
Cheers. I guess when your climbing, jumping, and firing a bazillion bullets it doesn't hurt to to look good doing it. :P
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

bobby 55 wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:
Cheers. I guess when your climbing, jumping, and firing a bazillion bullets it doesn't hurt to to look good doing it. :P
Very laggy. My PC may be around 4 years old, but with a year old GPU, it runs at around 7-8 fps when the hair quality is on this TressFX thing(everything else on low/off). 40-50 when disabled (everything else on high)
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Ouch! That's a big hit. It's good that it's optional as I think if I play the game it'll be off...well, after a moment just to see anyway.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Like bobby, annoying Jonas with save-scumming, reporting stuff apparently half-completely and trying my best to find typo's and apparently failing miserably :).

Also spending around an hour on a single battle... I r slow.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Just finished the Mass Effect 3: Citadel DLC.
It's probably the best DLC they've released; it's right up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker. Though considerably different in execution that makes the so good for different reasons.

It's a homage to the entire series. It takes a very light hearted approach to, well, everything really. Combat in the main storyline for it is interesting and quite tough at points. The self contained villain makes an odd plot twist and feels a little jarring but aside from that, it was a great mission.
It was nice to have all your squad members involved in a similar way to that of the Suicide mission from ME2. The banter between characters is pretty hilarious and Wrex makes a comeback as a squad member for the entire thing which is great.

After you have finished that mission, there are several encounters with all the remaining squad members from ME2 as well. I won't spoil it but it's half the closure I wanted from characters like that so it's great. There are some genuinely laugh out loud moments from the characters, though it does feel a little bit cheesy at times. Like a Christmas or 100th episode special on your favourite television show.
It's just a shame that by the point I'd play it in my save, right before the final assault on the Cerberus base, Thane, Mordin and Legion are already dead. Though, from what I've read, I think the Citadel DLC only begins after these three die anyway so I'm going to assume it's impossible for them to appear in this one. However, Mordin and Thane both get a great send off as well. Again, I won't spoil it.

Plus, loads of mini games and a combat arena, similar to the ME1 DLC yet, far better. You win tickets in the arena depending on how many points you get that allow you to unlock new maps, unlock ME2 squadmates for use in the arena, Collectors and Reapers as enemies and adjust point bonuses depending on what sort of enemies you want to face or whether ammo and medi gel is available.

Now it's 2am. I should go. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just noticed that I had put the bits I had intended to put into spoiler tags in quote tags instead by accident. :/
Sorry.
Last edited by nerdenstein on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers nerdenstein. I've been in two minds about purchasing the Citadel DLC, I'll grab it sometime in the future.