What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by bobby 55 »

EER wrote:I thought so too, but my cousin kindly notified me that he had seen it in stores, so I checked it out and it was there :D

First impressions:
- It looks freaking awesome (on xbox no less). The animations are a bit odd sometimes, but not terribly so.
- There is just SO MUCH to do, I just finished a quest or two and am only in the first city but it appears that everyone has a quest for me OMG. I don't know if I'll ever get out of the city ...
- The plot so far is not really clear to me, well, I understand there is a civil war going on but I'm not sure who's on who's side and what's the point

Aanyway, back to playing :D
Colour me envious. :)

Alec at RPS says he's played for 30 hours and feels he hasn't even scratched the surface.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I am determined to look at skyrim with the critical eye bethesda games are rarely afforded. There will be much raging I suspect.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Are you out of your mind? Oblivion was criticised into a pulp by RPG die hards, and people would not shut up about Fallout 3 being Oblivion with guns. Both games are infamous for their awful main questlines! Unless you work for the mainstream game media, I put it to you that looking critically at Skyrim will be fully in line with what our segment always does. And that's fine, but try not to paint yourself as some goddamn intellectual counter-culture hero.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Are you out of your mind? Oblivion was criticised into a pulp by RPG die hards, and people would not shut up about Fallout 3 being Oblivion with guns. Both games are infamous for their awful main questlines! Unless you work for the mainstream game media, I put it to you that looking critically at Skyrim will be fully in line with what our segment always does. And that's fine, but try not to paint yourself as some goddamn intellectual counter-culture hero.
Yes... RPG die hards... because there's so many of those right?

Not to mention that "die hards" is not exactly a rigid definition. You might think yourself one, but I might think that you are not even close because you liked DA(2). Not to mention that a lot of them looks way too harshly on Bethesda games.

And I'm not painting myself as a hero. I'm obviously the villain :(

As for your first question: why yes, that is not entirely impossible.

And you do realize that a game that is infamous for its main questline sucking and still getting "best writing of the year" award, means that there is definitely not enough negativity?

Rambling is the best thing ever.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Also, Jonas be warned, there are HUGE FUCKING SPIDERS in the game.

Leveling is interesting, there is some kind of skill tree system involved. Also, it took me the best part of an hour before I found out how to conjure up the map (press B, then down).
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Yes... RPG die hards... because there's so many of those right?
Maybe not, but they're not some fucking oppressed minority, and you are definitely one of them, so you acting like one changes: nothing.
Not to mention that "die hards" is not exactly a rigid definition. You might think yourself one, but I might think that you are not even close because you liked DA(2). Not to mention that a lot of them looks way too harshly on Bethesda games.
An RPG elitist eager to decide who's a real RPG fan and who isn't? Never seen that before!

And I thought DA2 was rubbish.
And I'm not painting myself as a hero. I'm obviously the villain :(
Nope, just a typical judgmental elitist :)
And you do realize that a game that is infamous for its main questline sucking and still getting "best writing of the year" award, means that there is definitely not enough negativity?
Just means the negativity doesn't exist in mainstream/marketing-led circles. No surprise there, and you're not going to change it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

EER wrote:Also, Jonas be warned, there are HUGE FUCKING SPIDERS in the game.
Not for long there won't be. That's what the SDK is for! :mrgreen:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

I hope they release the creation kit soon, there are some issues with the controls apparently. It also has mouse acceleration, I can't believe how many developers leave mouse acceleration in the game without at least a toggle in the options. It's an ini tweak for crying out loud. I, as someone who purchased the product, shouldn't have to search through ini files just to make the controls work properly arg!!
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I just solved a riddle in-game, I feel so adventurous :D
- The combat has mightily improved
- The character attributes like 'agility', 'speed', 'strength' andsoforth are either completely gone from the game or hidden very well. While I think it's not a bad thing per se, I do miss an overview of these attributes.
- Currently I contracted 'brain rot', and everyone is saying "ooh, you don't look too good" "are you sick?" "I hope it's not contagious", but I haven't found a way to see what the effects of the disease are, how I can be cured or that I actually have the disease (I know I have it because I saw a note flying past 'Brain rot added' and everyone is saying how diseased I look.

Aanyway, I'm not here for the weekend (GREAT PLANNING, EER!) so I will continue my adventures on Monday. I hope to read your opinions too. So far I feel it's a definite step in the right direction from Oblivion.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

By the time I get to buy 'n' play it all the clever people will have fixes for everything. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

As far as I got so far it will not be modable. But that's just one of the points on a large list of let-downs in this game. And I'm not the only one so the "you are minority" joker you can't pull out this time Jonas ;) . A lot of wasted hard-disk space. Let's hope one of the other games comes out soon. We need some real good games for a change [-o<
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dragon wrote:As far as I got so far it will not be modable.
Pardon my bluntness, but either provide credible citations or stop spreading misinformation [-X

http://www.google.com/search?q=skyrim+c ... d=0CDcQqAI
But that's just one of the points on a large list of let-downs in this game. And I'm not the only one so the "you are minority" joker you can't pull out this time Jonas ;) .
Read back the discussion between Jaedar and I, and realise your mistake.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

There is a fast travel option, which I so far have not felt the need to use. The world is simply much more interesting vs Oblivion. I haven't been following the headlines for Skyrim tbh so I'm looking at it with a fresh mind :)

My first gripe is that it is not easy enough to switch weapons. After a couple hours I found out you can set some weapons to 'favourite', which is workable, but I would prefer a hotkey for equipment, such as:
weapon+shield
weapon+healing spell
bow

I might get used to the current system though, I need more playtime first :)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I admit I've not been following it (like, at all) but can you still generate the standard fucking giant mess of different character types? Pretty much every screenie I've seen has that fucking viking-esque dude glowering away, which kinda makes me worried you'd be forced to play him...

(not that there's anything wrong with vikings, btw)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The character selection works pretty much as per usual ("Oh you're finally awake ... what's your name?!" etc). Same races as far as I've seen, it seems that instead of stat boosts by default, you learn certain skills quicker depending on your race.

Although the vast majority of NPC's are Nords, I have already met some Cyrodiils, Bretons, Khajiit and Dark elves. I'm haven't seen any argonians yet but a quick search yields the following playable races: Altmer, Argonian, Bosmer, Breton, Dunmer, Imperial, Khajiit, Nord, Orc, Redguard.