What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:I quite enjoyed being a super stealthy thief/assassin archer in Skyrim. The game plays extremely slowly that way, but almost every encounter is a one-hit kill, which is quite satisfying, and beats the game's IMO rather flaily melee combat. Skyrim's stealth system is very simple of course, but it holds up surprisingly well.
Yeah, I can lose myself in the Skyrim world but the melee combat isn't it's best feature. I struggle some-what until Smithing advances then there's a chance you can become overpowered. I tried stealth a bit in my last playthrough when I was with the Thieves Guild and, I believe, that's when the idea for a sneaking assassin germinated.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:Been playing modded Morrowind and have just given up, boots of blinding speed pushed me too far, so overpowered. The game is a huge grind so I cannot be bothered with it any more. Still the best ES game though, before the massive decline of Oblivion and then further in Skyrim.
Objection! Skyrim is better than oblivion. Still not a good game though, imo.
This is going to be a half-assed argument because I remember neither games too well because there is only so many game worlds one can store in the memory bank and it's been some time. Well, I do remember them well enough.
Oblivion has that Pie-rim does not:
Weapon degradation.
Acrobatics Skill.
Non-linear dungeons that DON'T feature puzzles designed for pre-preschoolers.
Some quests that are not absolute mind-numbing shit
Attributes.
A not so shitty UI/inventory.

Pedantry: Arrows had weight, didn't cut to third person so often blah blah.

Now, Oblivion is still a piece of garbage but Skyrim they pacified too far.

Linear dungeons was the worst part. :evil:
Yeah, linear dungeons are terribly bad. It's a shame both games do only that. Attributes were ok, but the perks are sorta the same. I really can't compare the vanilla ui's, because I never really used either.

But the thing that truly matters, and the thing you forgot to put on your list, is that oblivion has absolutely retarded level scaling whereas skyrim only has a mostly dumb level scaling system. Oblivion also has the feature that all the dungeons look the same.

This is kind of a dumb argument though, arguing which game is worse. We should be discussing what games exist that do it better.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:
We should be discussing what games exist that do it better.
Divinity II? Only coz after a bit of levelling waterfowl, chickens, and rabbits spontaneously combust when you walk by them. :lol:

I grew tired of my battlemage-werewolf in Skyrim and rolled the stealthy assassin. I'm up to level 25 and think I have died more in this playthrough than my last two runs combined, I'm closing in on backstab in the skill tree so it's 15X damage will hopefully increase my survivability rate. I have been investing skill points to get Archery, Sneak, and One-handed weapons as high as possible before joining the Thieves Guild then The Dark Brotherhood.
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I play The Sims occasionally, and so I made Trestkon in TS3. Don't ask why, I have no idea. :-k

I have opened the mayor. When the power drops, go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshal and his three daughters and we lose the vaccine!

We want to power down the whole system.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahah! Close enough :mrgreen:
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

So Deus Ex: The Fall sucks.

The story has intrigued me enough to keep trying to play it but the bugged gameplay/combat/animations/controls/graphics do hinder progress...
And even then, the story feels a little tacked on. It's based around the events of the Deus Ex:HR spin off novel which I quite enjoyed.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Yeah The Fall was an unfortunate little money-grab, which turned into a complete farce when they released it on PC. I'm still playing Quake (in its various iterations), and CS:GO casually. There are a number of arena shooters in development, which I'm very excited about: http://www.esreality.com/post/2634035/list-of-upcoming-arena-fps-games/
Hopefully that sort of thing will see a rise in popularity.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

You guys all quit gaming while I was taking my online break... sjeesh.

Playing Payday2 often with friends. Just finished Defenders Quest. Got from Humble Indie pack, didn't think much of it at first, but it's quite the fun, addictive and charming tower defense game.
Probably going to play a bit more with it (although I finished the campaign, many harder difficulty maps I have yet to conquer) and then pick my next game. Or continue the many I left hanging.

So many games, so little time...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Finished Wasteland 2 yesterday, promptly started The Banner Saga.

Tomorrow, Styx: Master of Shadows comes out. It's published by Kalypso, which usually means it'll look great but play like shit, but I have high hopes for it, so we'll see.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hassat Hunter wrote:You guys all quit gaming while I was taking my online break... sjeesh.
Actually I'm still playing, unfortunately offline until I get a place of my own. I'm playing Skyrim when time permits.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I'm currently playing Xcom: enemy within: long war mod when time permits. It's pretty much to Xcom what brave new world was to Civ5. It makes it a decent game to play, that is still unfortunately plagued by a lot of the poor design decisions of the base.
odio ergo sum
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

nerdenstein wrote:So Deus Ex: The Fall sucks.

The story has intrigued me enough to keep trying to play it but the bugged gameplay/combat/animations/controls/graphics do hinder progress...
And even then, the story feels a little tacked on. It's based around the events of the Deus Ex:HR spin off novel which I quite enjoyed.
Yeah the gameplay is pretty bad... laughable bad! Which is why on my todo list is to create a playthrough of it.. drawing yet MORE attention to how bad the bad parts are!

Still peaves me off that it I don't know the bloody ending!
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

bobby 55 wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:You guys all quit gaming while I was taking my online break... sjeesh.
Actually I'm still playing, unfortunately offline until I get a place of my own. I'm playing Skyrim when time permits.
Yes my online self misses my coop buddy...
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Thought I'd bump this thread, if that's alright. Been playing:

Reflex (indie arena FPS, search on Steam)
The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna (excellent expansion for this game, I was expecting to be disappointed).
Thief: Gold with graphics mods. Obviously quite dated visually and substantially, but it still surprises me with some of its design choices - the level design in particular.
I also played the Stanley Parable for about 20 minutes before I became utterly sick of its pretentiousness. It tries so damn hard to be edgy, unconventional and intelligent while the game itself is about as banal and conventional as it gets. One of the most contrived games I've played - good thing I got it as a gift.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

kdawg88 wrote: The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna (excellent expansion for this game, I was expecting to be disappointed).
I was meaning to buy this, but it felt pretty expensive for DLC.

How long would you say it is, and does it have new puzzle mechanics? I got pretty sated with the ones in the main game.
odio ergo sum