What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Xesum »

Jonas wrote: I'm not sure, but I enjoy playing women in games. I strive to play female characters in about half the games I play, and since most games only let you play a male character, I end up playing women in most of the games where I can define my own character.
Ah, you're taking the opportunity when you can.

So are you enjoying Oblivion Jonas?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Actually, I just think Jonas totally likes Carth :D (or insert other male love interest in RPG here).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I have only ever played a female character in Fallout 3, and only because of a unique perk and some special conversation options leading to more favourable outcomes. And also because I wanted to see how well i could make a female character with the character maker.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

For the record, I think Bretons are supposed to be much closer to a french archetype than a british one (look it up).

And there's nothing wrong with playing an opposite sex character in a game: you're supposed to be enjoying the escapism, ffs. Anything that enhances that is a bonus, so yes, playing a crazy axe-wielding warrior wizard is pretty escapist, but playing a crazy female axe-wielding warrior wizard is more escapist still. And so on. Why people find this weird is ...beyond me.

(also, dunmer ftw)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

DDL wrote:For the record, I think Bretons are supposed to be much closer to a french archetype than a british one (look it up).

And there's nothing wrong with playing an opposite sex character in a game: you're supposed to be enjoying the escapism, ffs. Anything that enhances that is a bonus, so yes, playing a crazy axe-wielding warrior wizard is pretty escapist, but playing a crazy female axe-wielding warrior wizard is more escapist still. And so on. Why people find this weird is ...beyond me.

(also, dunmer ftw)
Good point DDL re the escapism.In games you can be a Muderous maniac,sword weilding hero,wizard etc.,and that's your game character and nothing to do with who you are in real life. Besides how many of the females wouldn't play games because the title character is male?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I actually find trying to recreate myself in the game, and then have my lookalike avatar doing the badass outrageous supernatural awesome things enhances the escapism by contrast, but to each his own.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I think of these games as something that lets you make a bad ass version of yourself.

Or just make a female Character and run around stark Naked like in Age of Conan Hyborian Adventures

But for some reason, whenever I try to make a character in Oblivion, I usually end up making Jay Leno for some bizarre reason if its Imperial.

And I hate Dunmer's because they sound like idiots.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Xesum wrote: And I hate Dunmer's because they sound like idiots.
N'wah :evil:
DDL

Post by DDL »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I actually find trying to recreate myself in the game, and then have my lookalike avatar doing the badass outrageous supernatural awesome things enhances the escapism by contrast, but to each his own.
Well, seeing as I already am an outrageous supernatural badass, that doesn't have the same appeal for me. ;)
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

DDL wrote:
Jetsetlemming wrote:I actually find trying to recreate myself in the game, and then have my lookalike avatar doing the badass outrageous supernatural awesome things enhances the escapism by contrast, but to each his own.
Well, seeing as I already am an outrageous supernatural badass, that doesn't have the same appeal for me. ;)
So you pretend you're an Elf?

Mind you, I did manage to create Data from StarTrek by using an Dunmer. (It may of been a High Elf, I can't remember.)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I wasn't saying i enjoyed playing a female character, but that it wouldn't stop me from playing an enjoyable game if that was the only option.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I never put much time into customizing how my character looks, I usually just decide race, sex and then a hairstyle and pregenerated face that doesn't look entirely retarded. My characters stats and abilities on the other hand :P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Xesum wrote:So are you enjoying Oblivion Jonas?
Actually that screenshot is three years old, I played it for a couple of months, wrote a bigass university paper about it, got graded a God damn B for what was blatantly A material*, and never played Oblivion again.

* I know this for a fact because the examiner actually told me so two years later when he was the thesis advisor on my BA project. At least he gave me an A for that one.

My other character was a Khajiit named after one of my cats.
Hassat Hunter wrote:Actually, I just think Jonas totally likes Carth :D
Actually I did play a female character in KOTOR (and a male in KOTOR2 - later I found out that the canon had it the other way around, much to my irrational irritation) but I found Carth to be an exceptionally dull love interest. I'd much rather have played a man so I could've had a go at Bastila*.

* Mainly because Jennifer Hale wins at voice-over*.

* Actually I think it's a tie with Jeremiah Costello, but I may be biased.
Kee715 wrote:I have only ever played a female character in Fallout 3, and only because of a unique perk and some special conversation options leading to more favourable outcomes. And also because I wanted to see how well i could make a female character with the character maker.
There is nothing wrong with playing a female character, you don't have to make three different excuses when you mention that you've done it. Fallout 3 was one of the games where I made a male character though - not sure why, I just felt like it. I made this handsome fellow:

This doesn't appeal to me so much for some reason. Maybe because I'm too small to be an action hero. I just end up making myself taller and more muscular, and then I just give up and make somebody awesome-looking instead.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

God! It's like the terrible love child of orlando bloom and liam neeson.

(anyway, you're the perfect build to be a stealth viking, which I reckon would be awesome)
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Xesum wrote:I think of these games as something that lets you make a bad ass version of yourself.
DDL wrote:Well, seeing as I already am an outrageous supernatural badass, that doesn't have the same appeal for me.
Jonas wrote:This doesn't appeal to me so much for some reason. Maybe because I'm too small to be an action hero. I just end up making myself taller and more muscular, and then I just give up and make somebody awesome-looking instead.
I find that whenever I imagine myself (even an idealized supernatural version of myself) in a badass-ready situation I end up imagining getting the shit kicked out of me. Indeed if I write a badass capable story with a character that is even remotely close to an avatar of me, that character will get the shit kicked out of him.

I have never even considered modeling a game character on myself.

Congratulations to DDL on living the dream though. Can you physically exploit the Banach–Tarski paradox? Because that would rock.