It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 527, 528, 529, 530, 531
What are you playing? 
MJ12

Post Re: What are you playing?
Jaedar wrote:
kdawg88 wrote:
The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna (excellent expansion for this game, I was expecting to be disappointed).

I was meaning to buy this, but it felt pretty expensive for DLC.

How long would you say it is, and does it have new puzzle mechanics? I got pretty sated with the ones in the main game.

I haven't yet reached some of the advanced/secret puzzles but there appear to be no new game mechanics. In my eyes that is not a disappointment because the expansion's value is the significant extent to which it explores the possibilities of level design with the existing systems. A lot of the puzzles use the game systems in very innovative, often counter-intuitive ways. I was surprised and amazed not only at the creativity of the levels but the seeming lack of bugs/exploits given the complexity of the game systems. Something that always impresses me in game design is the designer's ability to use existing, known game systems and do something interesting and unknown with them. I can't say that you'll enjoy it as much as I did but it's definitely a worthy expansion at any rate. The story elements were also very well done. The game makes serious statements regarding various topics but does it in a sometimes ironic and lighthearted way.

I wasn't counting how the hours while playing the expansion (I did the 'main quest' and am in the middle of the star puzzles) but I would hazard a guess at up to 15 hours of playing time including the secret puzzles, assuming you're about the same level of intelligence as I am. The hours you spend on it aren't really an indication of the 'content' of the game in the sense of a game like Deus Ex or Skyrim, where you're being exposed to different levels, voice actors, cutscenes while not really putting a lot of effort into the actual game. Much more of the time spent in a game like this will be thinking about the puzzles, exploring and looking for clues etc, which I find a wonderful and refreshing change. I really had to apply myself when playing it. But that's just me. I understand why you're saying that it's a tad expensive but it's definitely high quality content. It's not the kind of expansion where they just outsource the development and what you get is a half-assed, pale imitation of the main game.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:36 am
Illuminati

Post Re: What are you playing?
kdawg88 wrote:
I wasn't counting how the hours while playing the expansion (I did the 'main quest' and am in the middle of the star puzzles) but I would hazard a guess at up to 15 hours of playing time including the secret puzzles, assuming you're about the same level of intelligence as I am.

Hmm. I admittedly only spent like 13 hours on the main game, as I skipped most of the secret stars. At least according to Steam its 13 hours.

kdawg88 wrote:
A lot of the puzzles use the game systems in very innovative, often counter-intuitive ways. I was surprised and amazed not only at the creativity of the levels but the seeming lack of bugs/exploits given the complexity of the game systems. Something that always impresses me in game design is the designer's ability to use existing, known game systems and do something interesting and unknown with them.

Yeah, this is satisfactory.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 527, 528, 529, 530, 531