Chrome OS

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morti
UNATCO

Re: Chrome OS

Post by Morti »

Back on security I have a couple of other tips.

If you're doing anything online that you don't want to be tracked it's worth looking into Tor and if you share a computer with anyone multiple user accounts might not be enough to prevent your most sensitive data. Consider an encrypted area with TrueCrypt or encrypt files and folders with GnuPG. I wish more people used GPG, it's freaking brilliant but I only have two friends who use it, so that's only two friends I can talk to when I decide to wear my tinfoil hat. For the record I haven't got anything I'm that bothered about hiding but I've done a degree course in cryptography and it's fucking cool so I fiddle with it. Another great thing to do with TrueCrypt is to encrypt your whole drive. You'll need to put in your passphrase (or password if you like, but I like 50 character phrases with numbers and punctuation and varying capitalisation) every time you switch on your computer but if you have a laptop with sensitive data on it (credit cards or work-related stuff) then if your laptop gets stolen you'll be so glad you encrypted it. Boot up passwords and log in passwords rarely make a difference to anyone who can just take the hard drive out of your laptop but if you encrypt it all then they can't get anything. Also if you encrypt everything it means they don't know where to start looking whereas if there's a bit that's encrypted they know which bit they want to break. I'd still recommend at least two levels of encryption for the really sensitive bits though (bank account details, terrorist plans and ideas for mother's birthday present) just to be safe.

Oh, if you're on wifi network shared with anybody else it might be worth encrypting all your outgoing communications using either TOR or piping everything to a remote web proxy via SSH. I tend to do that sort of thing on public networks. If you don't know what I'm talking about then it probably doesn't actually matter anyway, choose a level of paranoia appropriate to the sensitivity of your data and how much technical stuff you're willing to learn.

Here's a simple tip for everybody though. You know sometimes websites require you to enter security questions to recover your password? Don't use those if you can help it, but if required make sure to enter something long and unintelligible as the answer because that can often be the weakest link in your security. Of course if you do that then you can't forget your password so also don't forget your password.

I'm registered on loads of websites and I only have about three passwords which fits with what OiNutter was saying. I'm currently working on phasing out my insecure password though because I had to tell it to somebody once so whenever I log into a website that still has that password set I change it. I think where my security fails is that I've used the same passwords for quite some time, I really ought to change them at some point although I'm still fairly confident that nobody knows the ones that matter. Also for crypto I use passphrases with letters, numbers and punctuation.

Another tip, use your most secure password for your email account because if anybody gets into that it's game over for most other websites. Even if the password is different for other sites most will send password reset requests to your email account so that's normally a single point of entry for someone who might want to take over your entire online persona or whatever.

I did think originally that talking about my security habits might be a bit of a security risk but on reflection I've done a crypto course and various courses about web applications and security. Consequently the underlying message behind all this is "don't even try". ;)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I don't like using GPG. I used to encrypt all my emails, but now I can't read my old emails...I had a mutt decryption script years ago, so I should try that now that I'm on linux again. Anyway, nearly nobody uses GPG. It's overly complex, and it's easy to lose your keys if you forget to backup the invisible .gpg ~ folder. Truecrypt is excellent and keeps getting better and faster. I use Off The Record messaging for IM, which has been fairly brilliant. Tor is fine, just slow and unreliable. I wish there was a HTTPS that didn't involve certificates (encryption but not sender trust) so it could be enabled by default everywhere by anyone. That, and I hope the popularity of internet telephony leads to encrypted voice chat.
Morti
UNATCO

Post by Morti »

I find GPG is fiddly to set up but fine once it's in place and all your plugins are working. Finding a secure way to back up keys is a pain though. So what's this Off The Record thing? I've been using Psi for GPG-encrypted communication over Jabber networks but the client software isn't great. Off The Record might be worth a look if it provides end to end encryption and is cross platform.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I'm not sure if PSI can use it, but GAIM/Pidgin can and Adium (libpurple) comes with it. I forget how it works entirely, but you accept a "fingerprint" so that you can verify sender, but there's still plausible deniability somehow. All messages can be encrypted, which is great when using Jabber like GTalk as Google logs conversations. It can be a bit annoying selecting how to establish an encrypted conversation (the UI isn't perfect yet: deny unencrypted messages, encrypt if possible, encrypt on request), but it's generally as easy as installing pidgin-otr-plugin.exe and setting encryption to on, and also one-time clicking "accept" for any new fingerprints.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

GPG is great, and I used to use it on everything, and I'm glad it's there. Still, I've switched to the easier new generation of encryption tools that are sometimes less stringent but more universal and easy.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

justanotherfan wrote:Adium (libpurple)
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I like Adium too. It uses GAIM's libraries, but adds a great UI. I still remember hanging around the IRC channel, constantly compiling the unreleased Adium2 and bugtesting for the new Jabber.

Linux is going fairly well still. Using the scrollwheel outside a window (on the desktop) is still fairly freaky, since that accidentally changes virtual desktops and the whole screen suddenly flips. Video has gotten somewhat better, though I've noticed huge issues with H.264:AVC / AAC2.0 videos in XINE and MPlayer, and VLC needs to be restarted after playing a video or it gets random issues (no video, video stalls, audio gets mixed up, etc). Although I have SPDIF audio now, audio is STILL getting screwed up constantly. ALSA stops working when two applications use audio at once, and Pulseaudio crashes; this is another common bug, which people notice most because of Flash videos playing in Firefox, partly related to Flash being terrible with ALSA, and they're working on it for the next Ubuntu. I'm told it's a complication with new highly-demanding audio codecs and Pulseaudio's new demands on ALSA, but who knows. If the fixes I've done don't keep it fixed, I'll switch back to Windows again until November. This diagram of Linux Audio is always said to be misleading, and I'm sure it is, but I've had to work on nine of the entries so far-
http://matt.bottrell.com.au/uploads/Pics/linuxaudio.png
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Some news on passwords. A social networking site was hacked recently, giving people on the internet the default passwords that others used. That led to facebook (etc.) pages being defaced. It shows that when you give a website your normal password, not only are you making it possible to identify yourself so that they can trust you, you're also putting a lot of trust in the website's administrators and security. I was thinking of it happening against individuals, not against thousands of people. Still, I use different passwords everywhere, and I should go through and fix my newest temporary ones.
http://thenextweb.com/2009/08/22/facebo ... -profiles/
(*NSFW*) 4chanarchive.org/brchive/dspl_thread.php5?thread_id=152572514

On Linux Mint, I've lost SPDIF audio altogether. Middle-click and scroll-wheel differences in applications are extremely annoying, when FF copies stuff to the clipboard occasionally when I'm autoscrolling, or when scrolling some backgrounded windows occasionally causes the screen to flip virtual desktops, or when Gnome Terminal can't access another application's clipboard. Some P2P in Wine has started crashing (though Hitman was equally as stable as in Windows). Firefox has started stalling, and I have a Seamonkey (Mozilla) zombie process right now. GnomePanel has started freezing occasionally, and once restarted it forgets its custom configuration. I'm probably not going to be on Linux a week from now.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

justanotherfan wrote:On Linux Mint, I've lost SPDIF audio altogether. Middle-click and scroll-wheel differences in applications are extremely annoying, when FF copies stuff to the clipboard occasionally when I'm autoscrolling, or when scrolling some backgrounded windows occasionally causes the screen to flip virtual desktops, or when Gnome Terminal can't access another application's clipboard. Some P2P in Wine has started crashing (though Hitman was equally as stable as in Windows). Firefox has started stalling, and I have a Seamonkey (Mozilla) zombie process right now. GnomePanel has started freezing occasionally, and once restarted it forgets its custom configuration. I'm probably not going to be on Linux a week from now.
Spend a couple weeks googling and reading forums and you should be able to fix that right up.
*goes back to writing year of the linux desktop blog posts*
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Then you'll love how I got around the audio issues. I managed to get ALSA to output to SPDIF again, but now it can't do analog out. Esound is working somehow in WINE (yet not elsewhere), but only over analog. Pulseaudio isn't working at all anymore, and OSS still isn't. IOW, all GNOME GUI audio is semibroken. All the media players (mplayer, smplayer, VLC, Totem, xine and ffplay) are horrible, crashing, stalling, with video or sound breaking (and the loud sound corruption hurt my ears). My solution was to run mplayer for windows in WINE, using a nightly of mplayer, configuring WINE for either ALSA or esound, and making a desktop launcher for it-
{wine "~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/MPlayer-1.0rc2/mplayer.exe" -vo gl -idx -delay .700 -vf pp=ac/tmpnoise:1:2:3 -quiet}. The necessary things are the gl output, or else there's no video, and the audio delay, since esound delays audio by nearly a second in WINE, but ALSA doesn't. WINE doesn't do Pulseaudio, and its JACK driver doesn't work here at all. It has to be a launcher for drag-and-drop. I'm using the WINE mplayer since it ignores all the broken audio stuff, and there's a precompiled nightly where SVN wouldn't compile here to fix the H.264:AVC and AAC2.0 codec issues.

It turned out Mint doesn't come with smbfs, so now I have samba automouting nicely. Much faster and less broken networking now. I just re-read my post, and it sounds sufficiently incomprehensible to work. The system is working better now, but if things start crashing and stalling again, I'm reformatting before any troubleshooting.