Giant Gobs of Crazy and the EFCA

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Giant Gobs of Crazy and the EFCA

Post by Jaedar »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote: I think Russia has the biggest landmass of them all.. its just too cold and too communist.
Yes because communists are so evil, they would NEVER EVER sell food to the rest of the world...
You're right on the cold part though.
Last edited by Jaedar on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

We ARE still in hypothetical land anyway, ffs.

Saying "oh but India would do it badly, coz they're all dirty and want to kill pakistan and stuff" is not only borderline racist, it's completely pointless. Everyone knows "we could make enough food to feed the world using india" is not a SERIOUS suggestion. It's a hypothetical conjecture, treating the human population as 'requires X amount of food', and the world as 'contains Y amount of arable land', and then working out how much Y could provide X, which turns out to be about half the size of india. It might've been Belgium. Or Brazil. Or Belize, ffs. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INDIA, other than it fits the final calculation nicely and everyone's heard of it.

There are a ton of these sorts of things: hypothetical situations where, given complete freedom, most of the worlds more pressing problems could be solved fairly quickly. None of them will ever happen because people ARE TOO GODDAMN PAROCHIAL, and TOO GODDAMN STUPID.

Incidentally, I would make an awesome supreme ruler. Terrifying and massively massively cruel, but awesome.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Well DDL you'd get my vote :smile:
Since we are in hypothetical land, what about those mega food producing/controlling computers in I,Robot[the book].What was that stuff?Fungi or some sort of protein.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote: Incidentally, I would make an awesome supreme ruler. Terrifying and massively massively cruel, but awesome.
I'd vote for you :P
DDL wrote: There are a ton of these sorts of things: hypothetical situations where, given complete freedom, most of the worlds more pressing problems could be solved fairly quickly. None of them will ever happen because people ARE TOO GODDAMN PAROCHIAL, and TOO GODDAMN STUPID.
* The major problem — one of the major problems, for there are several — one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You guys should hear his musings about killing babies or his stance on weaponising haemorrhagic peptides, I bet that would make you reconsider your vote.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:You guys should hear his musings about killing babies or his stance on weaponising haemorrhagic peptides, I bet that would make you reconsider your vote.
BLOODY hell. lol. sorry i couldn't pass up that opportunity
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:
Jonas wrote:You guys should hear his musings about killing babies or his stance on weaponising haemorrhagic peptides, I bet that would make you reconsider your vote.
BLOODY hell. lol. sorry i couldn't pass up that opportunity
I hear killing babies is a cure for cancer.
odio ergo sum
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Jaedar wrote: Yes because communists are so evil, they would NEVER EVER sell food to the rest of the world...
You're right on the cold part though.
But communists have a really, really, REALLY bad history with running farms properly. :P
bobby 55 wrote:Well DDL you'd get my vote :smile:
Since we are in hypothetical land, what about those mega food producing/controlling computers in I,Robot[the book].What was that stuff?Fungi or some sort of protein.
IT WAS PEOPL- oh wait wrong story.

Although I'm sure DDL would be in favor of Soylent Green. (I hear the DX devs ate it on pizza)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Soylent Green,i saw the so so movie, imo, hope the book was better as i have yet to read it
DDL

Post by DDL »

The problem with rendering dead people into food is that..it's not actually terribly efficient. Well, and people themselves aren't terribly efficient anyway (as engines for turning food into useful work).

I've not looked at it too closely, but I suspect you'd be better off rendering people into fertiliser and using it to feed plants. Probably avoid a lot of ethical hassle that way too.

Anyway, I'll start gathering my campaign warchest funds together and I'll see what I can do.

"Vote DDL for lowered booze tax and forced sterilization of chavs"
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Lower booze tax.....yay! Now if you could curb the spiralling costs of the utilities in Brisbane,I'd push for you being supreme ruler of the universe
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I'd vote DDL if I was old enough.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

DDL wrote:I've not looked at it too closely, but I suspect you'd be better off rendering people into fertiliser and using it to feed plants.
The grass is always greener in the cemetery?
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

chris the cynic wrote:
DDL wrote:I've not looked at it too closely, but I suspect you'd be better off rendering people into fertiliser and using it to feed plants.
The grass is always greener in the cemetery?
Oddly it is.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

While that is true, around here people are buried in such a way (due to health concerns) that I doubt anyone's decomposing loved ones are truly responsible. More likely the grass is just well taken care of.